Holy Rule for Oct. 16

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15 6:58 PM

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Brendan, treatment of torn rotator cuff was
      ineffective and he is in a lot of pain. Prayers, too, for Natalie, cardiac
      catheterization today, and for her peace and serenity in whatever God wills. Prayers
      for those caring for her and all our prayer folks in body and spirit. Prayers
      for the happy death and eternal rest of a firefighter, Brian, 48, who went to
      God on Saturday, also for his wife and two children, for his colleagues in
      the fire dept. and for Fr. peter who is trying to minister to them all.
      Prayers for Chuck, anointed and now off life support, for his happy death and
      eternal rest, also for Brandon, Jeanette and Rachel, his loved ones, and Fr. Jim
      who is ministering to them. Continued prayers for that religious being sorely
      tried. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      On weekdays
      the Morning Office shall be celebrated as follows.
      Let Psalm 66 be said without an antiphon
      and somewhat slowly,
      as on Sunday,
      in order that all may be in time for Psalm 50,
      which is to be said with an antiphon.
      After that let two other Psalms be said according to custom,
      on Monday Psalms 5 and 35,
      on Tuesday Psalms 42 and 56,
      on Wednesday Psalms 63 and 64,
      on Thursday Psalms 87 and 89,
      on Friday Psalms 75 and 91,
      and on Saturday Psalm 142 and the canticle from Deuteronomy,
      which is to be divided into two sections
      each terminated by a "Glory be to the Father."
      But on the other days let there be a canticle from the Prophets,
      each on its own day as chanted by the Roman Church.
      Next follow the Psalms of praise,
      then a lesson of the Apostle to be recited from memory,
      the responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany, and so the end.

      Many, many Oblates wish they could say more of the Office than they
      do. Unfortunately, many, MANY things complicate that for them, not
      least of which is that virtually every house is doing something
      different, often using several books that are neither easily portable
      nor readily available. The upshot is that many monastics, Oblates and
      professed, are forced to use the Roman Liturgy of the Hours when
      traveling or not in choir.

      Well, that undoubtedly connects one with the prayer of the whole
      Church, but it is not our own monastic Office. Oblates who know the
      hunger of this imperfect state of affairs may find at least a partial remedy
      in today's chapter. Psalms 66 and 50 are to be said daily. Granted, many
      houses with various Psalm arrangements no longer do so, or perhaps say
      one, but not both. However, by memorizing one or both of these Psalms
      ( and 66 is VERY short and repetitious, to boot, easily memorized,) one
      can add them to the Roman morning prayer and thereby make it at least
      a tad more Benedictine!

      The tragedy of our Benedictine Office these days is that all of us have lost
      the ability to be exactly connected in prayer with the rest of the Order.
      That was not a shabby thing. There was great comfort in knowing that
      every Benedictine in the world was doing and saying the same things
      on the same days. We are no longer literally on the same page.

      Take comfort, slim though it may be, in this: using one or both of
      these Psalms daily will at least connect you to all the Benedictines
      BEFORE 1964, and even a good many after!! And there is a great,
      vast multitude of saints in that number. Denied connection in our own
      day, we may safely rejoice in what little we can glean with the holy
      monastics of the past who do, after all, represent the bulk of our 1,500
      years of history!