Holy Rule for Oct. 15

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006
      +PAX

      Please pray for a woman who is donating part of her liver to her husband.
      The surgery takes 6 hours for her and 8 hours for him and will occur on Monday,
      Oct. 16th. Also, continued prayers for Kendall, a young woman who continues
      to have re occurring back spasms that are quite painful. She's been barely
      able to finish college and has not had much luck in finding employment.
      Prayers, too, for her grandmother Betty, who is concerned for her.

      Deo gratias for Mark, for whom we prayed, his attitude about his tests is
      positive and he feel they went well. Deo gratias, too, for A. -several months
      working loves it! Continued prayers for A's physical health and struggle to
      stay well. Prayers for someone whose religious vocation is undergoing trials.
      (Not me, thanks be to God! Just thought I'd ward off a bunch of posts asking
      if I was OK. By God's grace- and that alone- I am fine!)

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Louise, my Mom, and my dear
      friend, Father Thomas, who share a death anniversary today. God is outside
      of time! Lord, help us all as you know and will. God's will is best. All is
      mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      February 14, June 15, October 15

      Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

      The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
      recited straight through without an antiphon.
      After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
      then Psalms 117 and 62,
      the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
      148-150);
      then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
      the responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      By now, it should be clear that St. Benedict goes out of his way to
      make Sunday special, its liturgy more solemn and joyous. Tucked in
      this short chapter, however, is a key to the monastic struggle that
      is often forgotten or under-emphasized in the modern West: lifelong
      repentance. Not just during the week, but even on Sundays, the feast
      of the Resurrection spread throughout the year, he wants the
      monastics to say Psalm 50(51), "Have mercy on me, O God..." This is
      the most famous confession of guilt in the Psalter, *THE* penitential
      Psalm par excellence!

      Because East and West understand very different things
      by "repentance" it is easy for either side to become annoyed with the
      interpretation of the other. Extremely put, an Easterner might be
      turned off by what would be seen as the Western practice of "repent
      and get over it," a more or less (to their eyes,) temporary activity.

      Westerners would be equally grossed out by the Eastern position of
      LIFELONG repentance. It would strike them as severe and overdone, a
      bit like the perfect student cheerleader who bursts into tears
      because she got an A minus! (How many of us plodders have wanted to
      retch and gag at such Honor Roll tears!! Puhleeze, get a life!)

      Hate to tell you, folks, but I think that the East has the healthiest
      view on this one. They view repentance not just as mourning, but as
      turning around, "metanoia." Granted, the term metanoia gained a
      certain popularity in the West in the late 20th century, but its full
      Eastern meaning as a synonym for repentance seems to have escaped us!

      In the West, we would term metanoia as "conversion", a turning around
      or away from and repentance more as a passive regret. To the East,
      both these active and passive actions make up the whole of
      repentance. This may seem a silly distinction, but when two parties
      mean slightly different things by the same term, it is wise to clear
      up the picture!

      In that light, repentance is a turning which does not turn back. It
      is not just passive remorse, it is active and lifelong conversion.
      Ah, now our Western minds can wrap around it more easily! Repentance
      means to Eastern ears what we Benedictines would call conversion of
      manners! You don't repent once and quit, you go on and on in
      converted life.

      There might be a Western glimmer of that absolute repentance which
      continues in some fashion or other in a Spanish phrase: "De repente."
      It is used to mean suddenly, all at once, in a twinkling. However,
      (correct me, mis Latinos, if I am wrong here!) once something
      happens "de repente" a complete and total return to the prior state
      of affairs does not occur. If you fall in love "de repente" you may
      indeed later fall out of love, but you will never return to the
      condition which preceded your love, to the beloved being unknown or
      ignored. De repente is not just sudden, it is, in a real sense,
      definite: things will never the exactly the same again.

      That's why St. Benedict wants us to repent everyday. He wants us to
      never be exactly the same again! And that, beloveds, is what
      conversion of manners is all about: different and hopefully better
      each day.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for Boston Police Officers Matthew Morris and Richard Cintolo, shot and critically wounded in the line of duty. They are in very serious condition after surgery, but it is hoped they will recover. Prayers for other Officers less seriously wounded or stressed. Prayers for the repentance of the suspects, one of whom was killed, Kirk Figueroa. Prayers that he repented in time, for his eternal rest, and prayers for God’s mercy for all and for the families of all.

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of my Mom, Louise, (+1973) on the anniversary of her death.

        Prayers for D,’s daughter and son-in-law, he badly needs a job, prayers for their financial well-being.

        Prayers for Reynaldo F., having a cardiac angiogram on Oct. 17th.

        Prayers for Brittany, seeking the will of God as to whether or not she should seek work elsewhere.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        148-150);
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        REFLECTION

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!