Holy Rule for Oct. 5

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers for Ted, investigating becoming an Oblate. Prayers for TPD, many
      emotional issues and a lot of stress and anger assailing him right now. Really
      needs prayers from us all badly. Prayers of thank and Deo gratias, Br. Felix's
      Mom had a successful hip surgery with a pin put in place, prayers for her
      convalescence and recovery now. Prayers for Rob, perhaps a day or two from death
      from his cancer, for his happy death and eternal rest and for his family and
      all who are going through this trying end time with him. Prayers for Amanda,
      elevated white blood cells, possible colitis, but could be colon cancer,
      too, and for all her family. Prayers for one struggling bravely for chastity,
      and for all assailed by sexual temptations or addictions and for all those
      wrestling with any addictions. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
      is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much. JL

      The seventh degree of humility
      is that he consider himself lower and of less account
      than anyone else,
      and this not only in verbal protestation
      but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
      humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
      "But I am a worm and no man,
      the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
      "After being exalted, I have been humbled
      and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
      And again,
      "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
      that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

      REFLECTION

      No one need worry whether or not the blue jay population of our
      forest will make it through the winter! Mary Kenny keeps the feeder
      full and the blue jays bully and terrorize all the other birds-
      including members of their own species lower in the pecking order.
      And it is LITERALLY a pecking order! While they are pretty birds,
      once in action their belligerent personalities will dispel many a
      romantic notion!

      Contrast the cardinals and chickadees, both far lovelier to look at,
      and both well aware that they need to stay out of the jays' way! One
      imagines that the cardinals, strikingly red, might be as numerous as
      their blue cousins if they were anywhere near as combative. Below
      even these in the hierarchy are the slate juncos. None too eye-
      catching, a rather sooty gray, and spending almost all of their time
      gleaning on the ground, not at the feeder. It is a niche they seem
      not to mind at all. Their attraction is not in plumage, but in the
      humility of their dispositions.

      Of course, I watch all this from the dining room window and am amused.
      These scrappy jays are fighting over a front yard that they don't
      own. They are battling for food that is always there and will be
      there in plenty. And hey, they are BIRDS, right? What's all this
      idiocy about who's-better-than-who? It's like watching a lot of
      Lilliputians in hand-to-hand, mortal combat. It's so silly that it is
      laughable. This is my front yard, guys, not yours!

      Whoops! Just fell into the same stupid snare as the birds....

      One of the beautiful things the late Israeli astronaut on the
      Columbia, Ilan Ramon, said about the view from space was that the
      earth was just one beautiful blue ball, no boundaries, no borders,
      all one. Surely that is a glimpse of how God sees it. Therein lies
      the secret of humility: to see things as God sees them, because that
      is how things truly are! That means seeing things like neither the
      scrappy blue jay, nor the monk inside who just as foolishly thinks
      something is his to control, that he has a privilege others do not,
      that his hegemony must be protected at any cost!

      Of course, it is all too easy to see things in an nation state way,
      especially these days. One nation hates another or hates their
      agenda. Ah, but that is how it has worked out! How it started was no
      doubt one incident, lost in the mists of time, forgotten except for
      the rivalry it engendered, which took on a life of its own. Perhaps
      the progenitors of two warring Mideast nations of today met once at the same
      oasis with their flocks. Maybe one decided it was hers, maybe both
      did. At any rate, the fallout was terrible for centuries.

      Each of us faces a desert oasis with others. How little we reflect
      that our actions there could change history. We will never know until
      heaven how our choices to assert or defer literally change the
      history of the cosmos, however slightly. All things start out small,
      but then they grow! Which outcome do you wish to nourish with your
      life? What we do with our hearts affects the whole universe.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Haley, whose surgery went very well; her doctor said it was a minor miracle she didn't lose her leg.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who treat or care for them:

        Sr. Clare Benedicta, pending back surgery.

        For final perseverance for Robert and his family.

        John and his children, Matthew and Allyson, multiple problems for John this year, then he lost his family to divorce.

        Shirley, Vanessa, and a co-worker, special intentions.

        Coletta, 80, lumpectomy yesterday and radiation to follow, also for her son, Tom, and her granddaughter, Audrey.

        Dan, 55, liver complications.

        Steve, beginning his second discernment retreat at Spring Bank Abbey.

        Sylvia, very serious leg infection requiring massive IV antibiotics at the hospital every 17 hours, but she has no transportation to get there and no one to look after her 90 year old mother, whom she takes care of. Prayers for them both!

        Lord, help us al as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2016

          +PAX

          Prayers for all those already affected by Hurricane Matthew, and for the safety of all those in its path. Prayers for the eternal rest of the dead, for all who mourn them, for the recovery of all those injured, for the homeless and for the families of all.

          Prayers for Johnny, having a quadruple bypass surgery today after suffering a heart attack, and for all his family. May God guide the surgeon’s hands and may Johnny have a speedy and full recovery.

          Prayers for Jayne, newly diagnosed with ovarian cancer, prognosis uncertain, but it is very serious. Prayers, too, for her worried family and for all the healthcare folks taking care of her.

          The seventh degree of humility
          is that he consider himself lower and of less account
          than anyone else,
          and this not only in verbal protestation
          but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
          humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
          "But I am a worm and no man,
          the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
          "After being exalted, I have been humbled
          and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
          And again,
          "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
          that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

          REFLECTION

          So many people get blown away arguing against the line: "I am a worm
          and no man..." that they completely miss a crucially important fact.
          This Psalm has the Suffering Servant,
          Jesus, as its focus. Jesus Himself quoted its opening line from the
          Cross: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" There are numerous
          allusions to the crucifixion in this Psalm, casting lots for
          garments, piercing hands and feet and the derision of the crowd, to
          name a few.

          OK, so if we dare to put these wormy terms in the mouth of Christ,
          how come we get upset about saying the same of ourselves? Good
          question! If HE can say it, even metaphorically, we surely should
          have no problem! Even if Jesus did not say the line about the worm

          on the Cross, He must have said the Psalm at other times in His life, as

          any good Jew would have said all the Psalms.

          But many seem to have a big problem there, so let's look at the
          matter from a different angle. We absolutely cannot know that others
          are worse than us. It's not possible, because we cannot see into
          their hearts, we cannot know every factor in their guilt or lack
          thereof. We cannot know that they are not better than us.
          God alone can know all those things.

          So, with all this ironclad uncertainty, why would Scripture and the
          Holy Rule ask us to think ourselves less than anyone else? For two
          very important reasons. First, it is the safest position to take.
          Even without full knowledge of ourselves, we have more information
          there than we have anywhere else. Secondly, it is the most profitable
          position for learning and spiritual growth.

          If we think someone is less than ourselves, there is little chance we
          will learn anything from her: we're so busy with patronizing
          condescension that only now and then will the woman's REAL words come
          through to us. On the other hand, if we think everyone has something
          to teach us, knowledge and growth start popping up all over the
          place, in some very unlikely locations! This attitude is part of
          listening, really listening.

          And after all, "Listen" is where our Rule begins!

          www.stmarysmonastery.org