Holy Rule for Oct. 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006

      Prayer requests, with prayer in subject line to: _brjeromeleo@..._
      (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

      Please pray for a young Canadian husband & father who is writing a thesis
      for a Canon Law degree. He's feeling a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate
      some prayers for guidance and inspiration in his work. Prayers for Adrian,
      numerous delays and long waiting for a total hip replacement, now scheduled for
      early 2007. Please pray for the intentions of the Joslyn Ave. Presbyterian
      Church and the staff of Cranbrook Hospice and know that they continue to pray for
      us and our intentions. They would like to be regular prayer partners in all
      our intentions. Prayers for a lovely lady whose mind is slipping badly, but
      who turned 75 this week, also for her very devoted and loving husband and her
      equally devoted sibling, both thanking God she is in their lives. Lord, help
      us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. On a purely human level, that would be
      most unwise. But we are not dealing with a human level here.

      We do follow without hesitation, but we do it for love, not for wisdom.
      We do it for love, not for taste or class or savoir faire. We do it for love,
      not because the superior is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We
      don't do it because of the superior at all, if we are going about things
      the right way. Our obedience must be consistent, as must our faith, no
      matter who is in charge. We do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God. None but God can guarantee one's safety in holiness
      in the midst of such a situation. It truly is Him we obey.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks may love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      usually doesn't work for long either.

      Mother or Father sometimes quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
      wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us and for them. Many,
      many people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have nothing
      to do with God!

      They do it unwittingly, they may even do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
      and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
      actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will and of His infinite Divine Mercy which surrounds us.
      Trust Him!

      _jeromeleo@..._
      4eKtOmjEPh)

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007

        Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

        A. and a painful family situation, lots of grace needed.

        Nancy, mid-80's, hip replacement.

        Sabrina, relapse in her drug addiction after some successful time of sobriety, may God fill her life and call er back to himself

        Carol, and for her high school students she teaches, many of whom have very tough lives. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL