Mar 20

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2003

      Prayers of thanksgiving for Lesli and her family. She had a healthy
      baby by C-section. Deo gratias!

      Prayers also for T., who is facing a formidable host of painful
      dangers right now, for her grace and strength and peace! NRN
      Thanks so much. God's will be done. JL

      March 20, July 20, November 19
      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      In the US, we can be so glutted with food. Far from want, we are
      surrounded, even bombarded with plenty- and not all of it that
      nourishing! Consumerist marketing turns things upside down: food
      becomes more or less solely for pleasure, not need.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics over fifty can
      clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight for Communion, even if you were only 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us-
      me included- do something extra on Friday because we do not abstain
      from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families. The
      meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something else
      was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-hour TV
      show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice like the
      Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30 minutes
      once a week of TV gone?
      Find something that works for you and then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit,
      power or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our acts together
      in affluent, developed nations.