Holy Rule for Sept. 10

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayer intentions with Prayer in subject to: _brjeromeleo@..._
      (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Fr. Vincent Crawford, OSB,
      of St. Leo Abbey, on the 26th anniversary of his death.

      Prayers, please, for Barbara, a woman who has led many to God and His
      Mother, now in need of some prayers of deep love and protection herself. Prayers of
      Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Sally Ann, her six month check-up showed her
      cancer free. She is very grateful for all our prayers. Lord, help us all as
      You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.
      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      REFLECTION

      If you are a parent or a boss or a teacher or a minister, ordained or
      not, please look very carefully at something in this chapter: we will
      be judged on our teaching. The complete obedience of those under our
      care is not entirely up to us, but our teachings are very much in our
      own hands.

      Tremendous harm has been done by people in authority, any authority,
      teaching things that are false to those they serve, whether
      implicitly or explicitly. Tremendous harm is risked by teaching one's
      own subjective opinion on important matters of faith or morals. One's
      opinion may be right, but then again, not necessarily so. The guarantee
      that genuine, orthodox teaching carries is lacking.

      This is not simply a feeling issue here at all. Whatever the seeming
      drawbacks of the teachings of the Church, they have a weight of
      tradition and communal reflection and the care of the Holy Spirit
      behind them. Our subjective, personal feelings cannot equal that.

      Orthodoxy, truth, has a very wide embrace. If we know that and
      understand it, it is not terribly difficult to get everyone, one way
      or the other, into that embrace. It can be done. God does, after all,
      will that all people be saved, St. Paul assures us of that.

      On the other hand making extensive alterations that we
      ourselves feel are suitable is not as appropriate as some may deem.
      In a job situation, it could cost both you and the unfortunates who
      believed you the loss of employment. In religious matters, the price
      could be considerably higher, the risk greater.

      Whenever we are in any position to teach by word or example, we must
      be very, very careful that what we give as Gospel is not a thinly
      disguised version of our own current hang-ups. People deserve far
      more than that and so do we!

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome OSB
      Petersham, MA 01366

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2016

        +PAX

        ***If you are on Holy Rule list and are getting truncated posts, please let me know. Two readers from that list have that problem, and I would like to know if others do, too. I am not sure I know what to do about it, but I would like to know.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Father Vincent Crawford, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, on the anniversary of his death, and for all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Father William Prospero, SJ, on the anniversary of his death, and for all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Kamilla, assaulted and raped after having endured many other troubles in recent years.

        Prayers for members of four families who feel they are being attacked by witchcraft and other forms of sorcery, that God and His angels protect them from every attack.

        Prayers for Paul, that he make restitution for things in his past.

[...]

        understand it, it is not terribly difficult to get most people, one way

        http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9

          +PAX

          Prayers for all in the path of Hurricane Irma, especially J and P, who live on a Florida island and may lose their home. Prayers for the eternal rest of those killed so far by the storm in the Caribbean and for all those injured and for the families of all.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Vincent Crawford, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, on the anniversary of his death, and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Dom Donato, of Montevergine Abbey, Italy, who made his first profession of vows, may he persevere many years in God’s service. Ad multos annos!

          Prayers for a safe delivery for little Declan Jerome, due today, and for his parents, Neesha and David.

          The little boy, Roger, for whom we prayed, is having his leg amputated, his infection has spread. Prayers for him and  for Sr. M., who is very worried about him. Prayers for his family and caregivers, too.

          Prayers for Mary, 91, who had cancer and has been admitted to the hospital with breathing difficulty. Prayers she receives all the Sacraments and the Apostolic Pardon. Prayers for her family, too.

          Prayers for Virginia H. and a group of Oblates on retreat with her this weekend. Many graces for all.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. William Prospero, SJ, on the anniversary of his death, and for all who mourn him.

[...]

          could be considerably higher, the risk greater, souls could be lost.