Holy Rule for Sept. 2

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006

      Please send all prayer requests, with prayer in the subject line to:

      Deo gratias, Bea, for whom we prayed, is much improved. Prayers for Barb,
      recovering from hip surgery and having some setbacks, as well as for her
      husband, Rich, who is caring for her. Prayers for all addicts, that they may see
      that God alone can free them to be their true selves.

      Prayers for Julie and her husband and their two small children and families.
      He murdered her, then killed himself. What a tragedy for all. For their
      happy deaths and eternal rest and all who mourn them, especially for their two
      orphaned children. Prayers for all who take their own lives. May they embrace
      God's Divine Mercy completely in that last, awful, fleeting instant. Prayers
      for a happy death for Norm, very near death with lung cancer and for his
      family.

      Jim and Lois, for whom we prayed some time ago felt surrounded by warmth and
      prayer and are now cancer free. Deo gratias! They ask our prayers for Matt,
      a small boy with leukemia. A bone marrow transplant 3 months ago apparently
      was not successful, the leukemia has returned and is very serious. Prayers ,
      too, for his parents and family, his playmate and friend, Adam, and the docs
      and other professionals who care for Matt and all those for whom we pray. God
      guide and reward them!

      Huge Deo gratias prayers for B., whose prayers have been answered and who
      feels our prayers and God's goodness deeply, thanking all for their help! God
      is so good. Prayers for the safety of all traveling on this holiday weekend in
      the US. Lord, help us all as You and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

      Prologue

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict, just by virtue of the period in which he lived, would
      have been rather more attuned to the Eastern Church Fathers than many
      in the West are today. Not for nothing does he also recommend St.
      Basil's Rule to his monastics! Given all this, the phrase "deifying
      light", which probably strikes most Westerners as just a lovely bit
      of poetry, would ring altogether different bells in Eastern minds,
      and may well have rung those bells in the mind of St. Benedict
      himself.

      Deification, the process of humanity becoming more God-like, is a
      central theme of Eastern spirituality, a favorite theme of the
      Fathers and a big central issue in Eastern monasticism. The whole
      idea of the Incarnation is viewed as God becoming Man so that man
      could be deified. (Don't take that term "deified" literally. The idea
      was that people became God-like, participated in His wondrous Being,
      not that they literally became gods!) But there was a profound awareness
      of grace allowing us to share in God's life and to become ever more like Him,
      of being ever more intimately united with the Triune Life.

      Put another way, the East would say that we were created in the image
      and likeness of God, but we have lost the likeness. Deification,
      monastic struggle, the spiritual life, all of these strive to regain
      that likeness. We so often speak of balance, but what does that
      balance entail? It is this very deification, it is the closest
      attempt we can make to restore the rightness of Eden. It is our halt
      and lame effort to become what God intended us to be, as closely as
      we can in a fallen world.

      So, as we continue our loving Father's pep talk at the beginning of
      his Holy Rule, let us resolve to never again let that
      phrase "deifying light" slip past our eyes as just another literary
      device. No way! Deification and Light are what we are all about.
      Shine on, dear brothers and sisters, shine on!