Holy Rule: Brother Jerome Aug 21

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2006
      +PAX ++ Please remember our good Brother Jerome and all at St. Mary's
      in your prayers. ++ Please pray for all those whose prayer requests
      are not able to be posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time
      and our prayers are never, ever late. Lord, help us all as You know
      and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL Please pray for all those who
      have ended or will this day end their earthly lives by their own hands.
      May Almighty God in His infinite mercy grant them eternal rest. Amen.
      In the interim please bless me by sending prayer requests to:
      mlopiccolo@... michael_oblate@... (underline sign between
      michael and oblate: michael_oblate) or: carmelitanum@...
      <http://us.f554.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=carmelitanum@...>
      April 21, August 21, December 21
      Chapter 64: On Constituting an Abbess

      Once she has been constituted,
      let the Abbess always bear in mind
      what a burden she has undertaken
      and to whom she will have to give an account of her stewardship,
      and let her know that her duty is rather to profit her sisters
      than to preside over them.
      She must therefore be learned in the divine law,
      that she may have a treasure of knowledge
      from which to bring forth new things and old.
      She must be chaste, sober and merciful.
      Let her exalt mercy above judgment,
      that she herself may obtain mercy.
      She should hate vices;
      she should love the sisterhood.

      In administering correction
      she should act prudently and not go to excess,
      lest in seeking too eagerly to scrape off the rust
      she break the vessel.
      Let her keep her own frailty ever before her eyes
      and remember that the bruised reed must not be broken.
      By this we do not mean that she should allow vices to grow;
      on the contrary, as we have already said,
      she should eradicate them prudently and with charity,
      in the way which may seem best in each case.
      Let her study rather to be loved than to be feared.

      Let her not be excitable and worried,
      nor exacting and headstrong,
      nor jealous and over-suspicious;
      for then she is never at rest.

      In her commands let her be prudent and considerate;
      and whether the work which she enjoins
      concerns God or the world,
      let her be discreet and moderate,
      bearing in mind the discretion of holy Jacob, who said,
      "If I cause my flocks to be overdriven,
      they will all die in one day."
      Taking this, then, and other examples of discretion,
      the mother of virtues,
      let her so temper all things
      that the strong may have something to strive after,
      and the weak may not fall back in dismay.

      And especially let her keep this Rule in all its details,
      so that after a good ministry
      she may hear from the Lord what the good servant heard
      who gave the fellow-servants wheat in due season:
      "Indeed, I tell you, he will set that one over all his goods" (Matt.
      24:27).

      REFLECTION

      <Very tongue in cheek tone here!>
      "Man, these chapters are a joy to read! Not a better way to call to
      mind every slightest flaw in one's superior. They just do not measure
      up to St. Benedict's ideal. No doubt, if we had people in authority
      who did all this, we should all be better.... " Ya-da, ya-da, ya-da...
      Maybe yes, maybe no.

      OK, now here's the real news, and I am afraid it is neither pretty
      nor consoling: re-read the chapter and substitute "monastic" for
      every time the word "abbess" occurs. Less than thrilling, right?

      Make it worse, substitute any noun that refers to yourself or your
      vocation. Try parent or teacher or nurse or supervisor. Whoops! The
      whole process becomes stunningly less pleasant, doesn't it?

      This one, like so many chapters on officials, is for all of us, not
      just the Abbot. Nobody will ever measure up to this loftiness without
      grace. While we are waiting for that grace to work, it may be useful
      to remember how different people are. There will always be areas in
      which you excel that another doesn't, there will always be those who
      do better, those who do worse. What's the common thread? No one is
      perfect, no one can even come close without God's love and
      unfathomable Mercy.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome Leo, OSB
      m5Acetfyus7KsrOUOPudJiqorkot4Ouab1Ex24g9CYiFWfeo0qpHPyS1PJJW8vY>
      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>