Holy Rule: Brother Jerome Aug 20

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006
      +PAX ++ Please pray for Carmel who is waiting for a hip replacement
      and she is in pain, for her appointment to have the procedure to come
      very soon. For Carmels husband
      who suffers from anxiety, and who needs peace and comfort. ++ ++ I
      have posted this just as received. Please pray for this priest!:
      BAGHDAD, Iraq, AUG. 18, 2006 (Zenit.org).- A young priest of the
      Chaldean Church was kidnapped in Baghdad, reported the Patriarchate of
      Babylon for Chaldeans. ++ Please pray for Shirley with advanced colon
      cancer. She is great pain and failing rapidly. Please pray for the
      repose of the soul of Sally Home a 58 year old woman who had a sroke in
      Oct. ++ ++ Please pray for an Anglican priest, Fr. Stan, from Uganda
      who is having trouble with immigration after many years of living in the
      USA, causing severe hardship for himself, his wife and four children
      (who grew up in the US; three of his four children are in college now).
      ++ Please pray for all those whose prayer requests are not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers are
      never, ever late. Please pray for all those who have ended or will
      this day end their earthly lives by their own hands. May Almighty God in
      His infinite mercy grant them eternal rest. Amen. Lord, help us all
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is
      never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL In the interim please
      bless me by sending prayer requests to: mlopiccolo@... <_blank>
      michael_oblate@... <_blank> (underline sign between michael and
      oblate: michael_oblate) or: carmelitanum@... <_blank>
      April 20, August 20, December 20
      Chapter 64: On Constituting an Abbess
      In the constituting of an Abbess
      let this plan always be followed,
      that the office be conferred on the one who is chosen
      either by the whole community unanimously in the fear of God
      or else by a part of the community, however small,
      if its counsel is more wholesome.

      Merit of life and wisdom of doctrine
      should determine the choice of the one to be constituted,
      even if she be the last of the order of the community.

      But if (which God forbid)
      the whole community should agree to choose a person
      who will acquiesce in their vices,
      and if those vices somehow become known to the Bishop
      to whose diocese the place belongs,
      or to the Abbots, Abbesses or the faithful of the vicinity,
      let them prevent the success of this conspiracy of the wicked,
      and set a worthy steward over the house of God.
      They may be sure
      that they will receive a good reward for this action
      if they do it with a pure intention and out of zeal for God;
      as, on the contrary, they will sin if they fail to do it.

      Let me hasten to assure you that, in Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden, we
      have such a wonderful father that I proudly forwarded this reflection to
      the first time it ran. Ad multos annos!!

      There is an old monastic saying that holds that "The community gets
      the Abbot it deserves and the vocations it deserves." Like most
      generalizations, this one has kernels of both falsity and truth.
      Heresy is obviously taking a small truth and making it the only truth
      and this is no different. It is rash (even if sometimes seemingly
      handy!) to simplify the inscrutable workings of the Holy Spirit, of
      our all-merciful God and His love into such a small compartment of

      However, there IS that kernel of truth! I have certainly lived
      through times at St. Leo and seen them elsewhere which gave
      frightening credence to one or both halves of the axiom! There is a
      human side to these things, God DOES use human means to accomplish
      His perfect Will and we, let us face it, are far from perfect

      On that human side of things, like does tend to attract like. A house
      where holiness is at least frequent, if not common, is likely to
      elect an Abbot good and holy enough to nurture that. Unfortunately,
      houses often elect one Abbot to counterbalance the effects, not
      always delightful, of a predecessor, so a lot of things come into
      play here. A house where holiness abounds is likely to attract holy
      vocations. This is also sadly true of some mediocre situations. I
      have long felt that God has chosen a WIDE diversity of monastic
      observance so that all those He calls could find a slot somewhere.

      The sad truth that the saying does NOT address is that even good and
      holy houses are thirsting badly for vocations these days. Something
      else, something other, something strange has been added to imbalance
      the equation and no one can be sure just what. Pray, pray with all
      your hearts for vocations, good and holy vocations to the monastic
      life on every level, as monks, as nuns, as Oblates. With our dimmed
      vision looking through glasses darkly, we can neither see nor know
      perfectly what wonders of His Will God is working now, much less why!
      Just pray for His Will for all of us!

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>