Holy Rule: Brother Jerome Aug 15

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2006
      Holy Rule: Brother Jerome Aug 15
      +PAX ++ Please pray for the healing of Bob and his eyes, and for Ann
      Marie Bob's loving wife. ++ ++ Deo Gratias! The mother, age 88, of
      Ted's wife. is home and doing very well, clear as a bell; after we were
      so frightened by her sudden hospitalization with fever and
      disorientation. Our prayers were answered and thank you to all who
      prayed for her. ++ ++ Please pray for Heather for support and
      guidance from God, that if her trip is meant to be, God will help put
      the right people in her life to make it happen. Also, prayers for
      protection on her trip from accidents. ++ Please pray for all those
      whose prayer requests are not able to be posted for whatever reason. God
      is outside of time and our prayers are never, ever late. Lord, help us
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is
      never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL Please pray for all
      those who have ended or will this day end their earthly lives by their
      own hands. May Almighty God in His infinite mercy grant them eternal
      rest. Amen. In the interim please bless me by sending prayer requests
      to: mlopiccolo@...
      ETUM5g4CNa0l5zc0s8lcCp3XO9HY7IxcsfU9lMkudDii3PM6ntZOGQuGLqzkVOCR> (This
      works 90% of the time. If you do not
      receive a timely reply please send to: michael_oblate@...
      3NevWPEP4tQLZKsyLv3sVT_h1E9rNJspy0hZ0bxqZhvhfxyk2t2hyi4juZ6SC4_cvKgYNA>
      (underline sign between michael and oblate: michael_oblate) or:
      carmelitanum@...
      epEVJz_mDpOd4QZVRH0-UdH7NHN1z8PZBCyfpEYZSTFw-rMsgVF5guCZ8lzz>
      April 15, August 15, December 15
      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      If a pilgrim monastic coming from a distant region
      wants to live as a guest of the monastery,
      let her be received for as long a time as she desires,
      provided she is content
      with the customs of the place as she finds them
      and does not disturb the monastery by superfluous demands,
      but is simply content with what she finds.
      If, however, she censures or points out anything reasonably
      and with the humility of charity,
      let the Abbess consider prudently
      whether perhaps it was for that very purpose
      that the Lord sent her.

      If afterwards she should want to bind herself to stability,
      her wish should not be denied her,
      especially since there has been opportunity
      during her stay as a guest
      to discover her character.

      REFLECTION

      One of the Desert Fathers (forgive me for not recalling which one,)
      said that there is nothing so careful as a monk not living in his
      native land. That's very true for most of us, though part two of this
      chapter makes it clear that it's not true for everyone. When we
      visit, we want people to think the best of the home, the family, the
      land from which we came. It is this nobility of striving, this
      mindful courtesy that the Desert Father wished to praise. In fact, if
      I read it correctly, the implication was that it might even be better
      to be a monastic AWAY from one's native land for just those reasons.

      There is something striking here. Remember how badly the gyrovagues
      and Sarabaites were painted in the types of monks? Well, these were
      the wandering ones, and St. Benedict knew very well that a pilgrim
      monk at the door could be one of these sorts. He doesn't even mention
      it. He wants them to have a chance to do better, to be healed by
      community. If they blow it, fine, he's not going to lose a lot of
      sleep over it, but he does insist they be given a chance to improve.
      Given what the monastic world thought of gyrovagues and the like,
      that says a LOT for St. Benedict's tolerance and clemency.

      Not all of us are in cloisters, but all of us have doors. The people
      who come to those doors may be gyrovagues and Sarabaites, but they
      may not, too. We have to give them a chance to prove or reveal
      themselves. This is true of anyone we encounter. Snap judgments are
      not just unwise, they are forbidden. They can cheat us out of many
      gifts.

      Being too much or too little on the side of caution are both traps.
      Tread the middle way, always the middle way. Moderation in all things!

      This doesn't mean we have to dupe ourselves into perpetual
      vulnerability, but it does mean we have to be open, mindful and
      listening, really listening to all comers. Listen first, sift later.
      Do both, always both.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>
      AAc0AnmEMvHA5EUKHcfHs05azBe0XxvFkRc2TtWAxAhLhb0RJqcxKf6s--DZqbNqVRo>