Holy Rule: Brother Jerome Aug 9

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      +PAX ++ Please continue your prayers for Bob (very painful therapy),
      Patrick (spinal surgery), Julie (colon surgery) and Val (open heart
      surgery). ++ ++ Prayers please for Val for whom we have prayed before
      when he lost his leg and again when his daughter was missing and then
      found deceased in Alaska. Val is having emergency open heart surgery on
      Friday. Please pray for him, his wife, Jan who has been steadfast at
      his side throughout, and Deo Gratias for Jan's sister who has given them
      housing and support during these long health ordeals. ++ ++ Please
      pray for Dawn who has had some strange "stroke" or bleeding in her
      stomach! She is not a well woman. Also, please pray for a dear one in
      great need and one who needs to make some important decisions about his
      future. ++ ++ Please pray for Briana, age 12. She must take an
      unplanned for entrance exam to her new school. If she doesn't do well,
      she will have to be home-schooled again this year. The test is tomorrow.
      ++ ++ Please continue to remember Therese in your prayers. A truly
      kind and gentle soul with multiple very heartbreaking problems including
      trying to survive a virulent strain of cancer. ++ ++ Deo Gratias!
      With all the healing thoughts and prayers, Bea is turning around! Still
      a long way to go so please continue to pray. ++ ++ Please pray for
      an end to the bloodshed in the Middle East. ++ ++ Please pray for all
      those who have ended or will,this day end their earthly lives by their
      own hands. May Almighty God in His infinite mercy grant them eternal
      rest. Amen. ++ ++Please pray for all those whose prayer requests are
      not able to be posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and
      our prayers are never, ever late. Lord, help us as You know and will.
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise
      Him! Thanks so much. JL ++
      In the interim please bless me by sending prayer requests to:
      mlopiccolo@... or:
      9, December 9
      Chapter 56: On the Abbess's Table

      Let the Abbess's table always be with the guests
      and the pilgrims. But when there are no guests,
      let it be in her power to invite whom she will of the sisters.
      Yet one or two seniors must always be left with the others
      for the sake of discipline.

      REFLECTION

      Let me give you a bit of pragmatic application here. I don't know if
      this is
      true everywhere, but in both houses I have actually lived in, the monks
      tended to eat rather fast. Secularly speaking, I have a reputation for
      being a
      fast eater when dining alone, even though I have sometimes wondered
      about
      how good that is for digestion! Here, however, with no conversation to
      slow me
      down at all, the monks eat like the wind and I am always the last one,
      even when
      gulping down as fast as I can. This has resulted in my learning to take
      less
      and finish whatever I really need at the guesthouse! Sigh...

      Anyway, the upshot here is that guests OFTEN dine more slowly than
      the monastics and we all get up together for grace. If the guests are
      where
      the Abbot can see them, it is easier to check on who's done and who
      isn't. We
      wait for them to finish. (At least 99% of the time. I have known
      especially
      slow guests to win at this face-off once or twice! We just said grace
      and
      left them to finish...)

      Monastics (like children or spouses!) can be dreadful creatures of
      habit, you should pardon the pun... I can tell you that sometimes
      that waiting seems interminable. I can also tell you that it is good for
      us,
      for all of us, and this applies equally to families. We ALLOW, even
      enable
      and encourage the guest to inconvenience us to a certain extent. That's
      part
      of our hospitality, part of receiving Christ, often in a considerably
      distressing disguise.

      Oblates in families or the world, trust me on this one, I know
      company can sometimes be a pain. I have had company most of
      the time for the last nine years. While I relish the occasional day
      when the house is empty, they are fewer and farther between each
      year. The message here is not only for guests in our homes, but for
      others in general, at work, when shopping or (horrors!) driving. LET
      others
      put you out a bit. Adopt a courtesy that is greater than the world's.

      I used to work the desk in a public library. From that and from my
      hospital and teaching years, I can tell you that a courteous,
      hospitable, Christian attitude of charity can stand out, really touch
      people. You don't have to be obnoxiously preachy, in fact, that has the
      opposite effect! The subtle grace and love of courtesy will lead a lot
      of people
      wonder about you and what motivates you. Some of the braver ones will
      one day
      even ask. And there is your chance! Go slowly and gently, but tell them
      why.

      (Here is a completely trivial library desk story as an addendum. Feel
      entirely free to quit now and delete if you want! A man came up to me
      with a
      polite and rather involved tale of why his books were late. There I sat,
      civil
      servant plenipotentiary, armed with the Town Manager's Power of the
      Keys, fines
      I could remit and bonds absolve and loose, so to speak. LOL! His plea
      touched,
      and sensing someone I could play a bit with, I looked at him dryly and
      said:
      "Go and learn the true meaning of the words 'it is mercy I desire and
      not
      sacrifice.' " Without so much as a beat he said: "OK, what monastery
      were YOU
      in? I used to be a Trappist!")