Holy Rule for July 14

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Brendan, very painful problem with his right shoulder, needs an MRI for further diagnosis and so far insurance will not approve it. prayers, too, for the Phoenix, Arizona area. They are troubled for some time now with both a murderer/stalker and a serial rapist, neither of whom have been caught. Also, prayers for rain there, badly needed in this wildfire season. A huge Deo gratias for Ann, whose cancer was apparently all removed in her recent surgery. She thanks all for their prayers. Her doctor doesn't want to see her until twelve months from now, when they will test to make sure the cancer is gone. Prayers for her doctor and for all the health care folks (in every capacity,) who assist those for whom we pray. They are truly the hearts and hands God uses in so many ways to show His love! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. ALl is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      An hour before the meal
      let the weekly servers each receive a drink and some bread
      over and above the appointed allowance,
      in order that at the meal time they may serve their brethren
      without murmuring and without excessive fatigue.
      On solemn days, however, let them wait until after Mass.

      Immediately after the Morning Office on Sunday,
      the incoming and outgoing servers
      shall prostrate themselves before all the brethren in the oratory
      and ask their prayers.
      Let the server who is ending his week say this verse:
      "Blessed are You, O Lord God,
      who have helped me and consoled me."
      When this has been said three times
      and the outgoing server has received his blessing,
      then let the incoming server follow and say,
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me."
      Let this also be repeated three times by all,
      and having received his blessing
      let him enter his service.

      REFLECTION

      Blessing readers and servers may strike the modern reader as a bit
      silly: a CEREMONY of blessing to do a no-brainer like that for a
      week? Ah, well there's the rub. Ancient monastics (and many Eastern
      Orthodox monastics even in our own day,) did NOTHING without a
      blessing from their elder. This results in all kinds of blessings for things we
      would take for granted. When the Carmelite Martyrs of Compiegne went as a
      group to the guillotine in the French Revolution, at least one of the nuns
      approached the Prioress and asked; "Permission to die, Mother?" The Prioress
      blessed her to die.

      Getting a blessing, asking God's help for even seemingly trivial
      matters is a powerful reminder of our own weakness. It is a statement
      that we can do nothing without Him, that we truly are nothing that He
      has not given. There is a great humility in asking anyone for help.
      In this instance, however, humility is richest truth: we need God's
      help for everything. We do things only because He enables us, whether
      we asked Him for help or not. Our very lives would not exist without
      Him.

      We still bless readers and servers. Short ceremony, same every week.
      We all pray together for whomever is serving us. Since we are small
      (only 8,) the Superior is often reader or server. When that happens,
      he kneels like anyone else and the senior monk blesses him. It's a
      little family ritual.

      But what is its message for families in the world? For single Oblates
      living alone? The message is that there are no tasks to insignificant
      to bless with prayer. St. Benedict has earlier encouraged us to begin
      every good work with prayer, but maybe we have forgotten. Because the
      monastic is MINDFUL, careful, attuned to life, nothing is unimportant,
      nothing should be done "on automatic pilot." There is that healthy level of
      mistrust of self that will ask for Divine assistance in any endeavor. "Bless,
      Lord, yet another diaper." "Bless, Lord, emptying the trash." "Bless, Lord,
      management meeting!!"

      Making dinner or washing the dishes? Take a quiet moment in the midst
      of either to say "Help!" and "Thanks!" Two simple, one word prayers.
      No matter how chaotic your household, everyone will find time for at
      least that. God knows the details, knows your heart and can readily
      fill in the blanks! We may think God needs essay-length prayers, but
      He doesn't. He may enjoy hearing from us, but trust me, we NEVER tell
      Him anything that's news to Him.

      Of course, there is another side to simple things like serving table,
      picking up pins and the like. No one could have done anything
      without God's help, but ah, if one does them out of love and care!
      Bingo! Double coupons, so to speak! If that pin got carefully picked
      up because of a barefoot and running child, or a beloved pet who is
      prone to "tasting" whatever she can find on the floor, simplicity
      becomes a very much greater matter, indeed. Now it is very close to
      the heart of God, and that is a wonderful place to be.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2007

        Prayers for Fr. Camillus of Pluscarden Abbey on his patronal feast.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving for Sheila's Mom, uneventful retinal surgery, now prayers for her continued recovery.

        Prayers for Fr. Philip, in grave danger, no details available. Prayers for Stan, who lost his wedding ring. May St. Anthony pitch in here and help him find it.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for their families and all who mourn them:

        Tyler, 21, who took his own life.

        Terence, who went peacefully to God, special prayers for Jeanne and Marianna, Brennan and Kate, who will feel his loss so sorely.

        Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of Philip, surgery to correct an inner ear problem yesterday, apparently went well, prayers for his continued progress. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much JL