Holy Rule for July 13

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2006

      A blessed feast of St. Henry, Emperor, to all. Along with St. Frances of Rome,
      he is one of the two patrons of Oblates. May his example lead us all to greater
      fidelity!

      Prayers for a safe and holy and happy trip to Israel for Pat, the kind friend who helped with with my virus mess, all the while juggling my peskiness with her own preparations to depart. Blessings in abundance!

      Prayers, please, for Susan, faced with staggering costs for the special needs of her children in schooling and tuition, may God's perfect will smooth the way, for there is also a very tense situation in that family. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Joey, 19, a troubled child of divorce who committed suicide in his Mom's home last week, for both his parents and for his grandmother, Marion and all who mourn him. Prayers for Pat, a mass behind her eye is affecting her vision, nature of the mass is unknown as yet. For the healthcare folks treating her and all our prayer intentions. God guide them. Prayers for Ryan, 3, in ICU with viral meningitis, also has type 1 diabetes. This and some events that preceded this crisis have stressed his parents' faith considerably, so prayers for all the family. Prayers for Bob, surgery necessary to see if his knee has to be re-broken and re-pinned. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God
      is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let the brethren serve one another,
      and let no one be excused from the kitchen service
      except by reason of sickness
      or occupation in some important work.
      For this service brings increase of reward and of charity.
      But let helpers be provided for the weak ones,
      that they may not be distressed by this work;
      and indeed let everyone have help,
      as required by the size of the community
      or the circumstances of the locality.
      If the community is a large one,
      the cellarer shall be excused from the kitchen service;
      and so also those whose occupations are of greater utility,
      as we said above.
      Let the rest serve one another in charity.

      The one who is ending his week of service
      shall do the cleaning on Saturday.
      He shall wash the towels
      with which the brethren wipe their hands and feet;
      and this server who is ending his week,
      aided by the one who is about to begin,
      shall wash the feet of all the brethren.
      He shall return the utensils of his office to the cellarer
      clean and in good condition,
      and the cellarer in turn shall consign them to the incoming server,
      in order that he may know
      what he gives out and what he receives back.

      REFLECTION

      The first thing I ever learned how to cook was (O, wondrous feat!!)
      boiled carrots. I wasn't even in school yet, so I couldn't have been
      older than 5 at the time. I didn't like carrots as a child, either,
      but we often had them for lunch, and I stoically ate them, just because I
      was so proud I could fix them myself.

      Get the point? Serving our families makes us feel very special, a
      kind of special that I think humility completely allows. If you have
      children, for heaven's sake, teach them to cook. As they grow older,
      it might well result in a night off for you and the child will
      benefit. Our relationship with any group is hampered when we are only
      in a position of taking or receiving. To know the full breadth of
      love, we must be able to give back, in ways no matter how small.

      Now, as an adult, I am a pretty good cook and I LOVE to feed people.
      It is a very priestly and sacramental task. Not for nothing did Jesus
      leave us with a Meal to remember Him by, to remain among us as well!
      Not for nothing is the image of heaven a banquet. When we cook for
      (or clean up after!) our family and friends we are partaking in one
      of the fullest possible representations of the serving Christ. (But I also
      know a lot about kitchen disasters and failed dinners! Sometimes we
      are the Suffering Servant, too! We can often find ourselves muttering
      over a Burnt Offering: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?"
      LOL!!)

      Single Oblates who live alone can brighten many a life by inviting others to
      dinner. Not only does it enhance one's own living space with a bit of
      celebration, but it enriches the lives of those who may be lonely themselves
      (as well as those who aren't!) that we may invite. No one has to look far for
      and elderly person who probably would be delighted at a shared meal, no matter
      how simple. It offers us a wondrous chance to serve and a great work of mercy,
      too! One can still be feeding the hungry, even if they are not starving in a
      famine somewhere. And don't forget that loneliness, too, is a terrible hunger!

      I have always been fascinated by royalty and I read a good deal about
      them. It has always made me sad that this or that royal mother had no
      clue how to cook. What a tragedy to have children that someone else
      did all the important things for, made all the food and smell
      memories that stay with one through life. Yes, I know those things
      can seem overwhelming to parents who have to do them all the time,
      but think of how awful it would be if your children literally needed
      an appointment to see you! (I realize that, on some days, there might
      be a certain charm there...)

      Jesus did not HAVE to serve. He had a lot of followers, some of them
      downright fawning, no doubt, who would have gladly taken care of
      everything. Peter raised the roof when Jesus stooped to wash his
      feet, but Jesus stopped him cold: if Peter was unwilling to be
      served, he could have no part of Jesus the Servant. Whoa!! What a
      privilege we have in every chance to serve our own, what a great
      likeness to God, in Whose image we were made, but Whose likeness we
      must struggle to maintain and perfect in ourselves.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007

        A blessed feast of St. Henry, Emperor, one of the two patrons of Oblates, to all our Oblates. May God and St. Henry bless us all!

        Prayers, please, for Filberto and his vocational search.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all their families and all who mourn them:

        Fr. Peter, who died of cancer; a minister who converted to Catholicism, he was one of the few married Priests in the Roman Church in the US, also for his wife.

        J.V., near death from a rare form of cancer, perhaps contracted when he was working at Ground Zero after 9/11, and for his wife, due to deliver their second child by C-section tomorrow.

        Prayers for the mental, physical and spiritual health of the following and for all their families and all those who treat them:

        Frances, newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Also prayers for her successful taking of her driving exam.

        Sheila's Mom, detached retina surgery failed and now the retina is detached again, emergency surgery needed and complications may postpone it, likely resulting in blindness. Some symptoms are beginning to appear in her other eye, too.

[...]

        benefit. Our relationship with any group can suffer when we are only