Holy Rule: Brother Jeroms July 8

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2006
      Holy Rule for July 8
      +PAX
      Prayers, please, for all those with prayer requests who were not able to
      have them posted! God knows and will receive our prayers for their
      intentions just the same. Prayers for all those who have, or will, this
      day taken their own lives. May God in His infinite forgiveness have
      mercy on them. Also, for Brother Jerome and a rapid solution to his
      computer problems. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much! JL

      March 8, July 8, November 7
      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      As cellarer of the monastery let there be chosen from the community one
      who is wise, of mature character, sober, not a great eater, not haughty,
      not excitable, not offensive, not slow, not wasteful, but a God-fearing
      man who may be like a father to the whole community.

      Let him have charge of everything. He shall do nothing without the
      Abbot's orders, but keep to his instructions. Let him not vex the
      brethren. If any brother happens to make some unreasonable demand of
      him, instead of vexing the brother with a contemptuous refusal he should
      humbly give the reason for denying the improper request.

      Let him keep guard over his own soul, mindful always of the Apostle's
      saying that "he who has ministered well will acquire for himself a good
      standing" (1 Tim. 3:13).

      Let him take the greatest care of the sick, of children, of guests and
      of the poor, knowing without doubt that he will have to render an
      account for all these on the Day of Judgment.

      Let him regard all the utensils of the monastery and its whole property
      as if they were the sacred vessels of the altar. Let him not think that
      he may neglect anything. He should be neither a miser nor a prodigal and
      squanderer of the monastery's substance, but should do all things with
      measure and in accordance with the Abbot's instructions.

      REFLECTION

      The Abbot is father to the family, in all respects. Some of those,
      however, are delegated to others, so that no one, not even the Abbot,
      may be overburdened. In one sense, the Abbot may be said to be the
      father in things spiritual and the cellarer in things material. It is
      interesting that St. Benedict requires very similar qualities in both.

      What lies beneath that requirement is the Benedictine view of property,
      of goods, of the earth itself. We scorn excess, in either direction, but
      we do not scorn the material world, we reverence it as if it were one of
      the vessels of the altar! This is very different from a Buddhist or
      Hindu view, where all creation might be looked upon as "maya," illusion.
      We see creation for what it truly is: a stupendous and free gift of God
      to all.

      While we always place people before things, we demand that both people
      and things be the objects of downright exquisite care. We love both
      because they ARE God's gifts, because they are both the means of
      sustaining our lives for God's ends. As such, the Holy Rule's view does
      not permit that things be loved in and of themselves, for themselves
      alone. That's an attachment we have to be careful to avoid. That false
      love, however, can lead to all kinds of erroneous ideas about the good
      we administer: stinginess, hoarding, acquisitiveness.

      All of these traits translate very easily into the family sphere.
      Parents need to achieve a sane balance in regards to material things.
      They need not to be career-driven workaholics, but they must also avoid
      being poor providers through lack of concern. The key to the middle way
      is love, as usual. Love the family members more than anything worldly
      and the rest falls more or less into place. If children know that they
      come before things, they have learned a lesson that they will pass on
      for the rest of their lives.

      Face it, many a rich, spoiled child, immersed in privilege, feels
      unloved. Things are never an adequate substitute for our HEARTS, which
      is what God, St. Benedict and the Holy Rule ask us to give without
      reserve. It is the love, the genuine love, that a child (or anyone else,
      for that matter!) will remember. All the rest is dust and ashes.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>