Mar 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Christopher MacInnis, 29, an ironworker crushed
      to death at work, also for his Dad, who worked with him and saw the
      accident, as well as for his Mom and brothers. Prayers also for C.,
      estranged by her children and ex, and for Martha, recovering bravely
      from hip replacement. God's will be done! Thanks! NRN JL

      March 10, July 10, November 9
      Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

      For the care of the monastery's property
      in tools, clothing and other articles
      let the Abbess appoint sisters
      on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
      and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
      consign the various articles to them,
      to be looked after and to be collected again.
      The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
      so that
      as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
      she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

      If anyone treats the monastery's property
      in a slovenly or careless way,
      let her be corrected.
      If she fails to amend,
      let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      OK, for "monastery" substitute the word "planet" and you will
      understand that there is a very Benedictine imperative for ecology!
      The planet on which we live is surely the greatest treasure any
      monastery or any of us singly is responsible for.

      And that is the further message here: responsible for! Monasteries do
      own things, but always with stewardship, always with sharing. So it
      must be for each of us, for every Christian. We are stewards of great
      and priceless goods. We are entrusted with the very arena of life,
      the only arena of life as we know it.

      Contrast how things of actually much less worth are guarded and
      protected. Would that we surrounded the earth with as much love and
      care as the Crown Jewels of England receive, or the Pieta, or other
      great treasures of art or history. What if all rainforests were as
      protected as the freakishly embalmed body of Lenin? These are things
      on which much care has been expended, but our lives do not depend on
      them. Our lives do depend on the earth, and so do the lives and
      chances for salvation of many others who would come after us, who
      OUGHT to come after us, who will need our world to live.

      We have failed to call most valuable what is truly most valuable.
      Benedictinism must always and everywhere call us to a conversion from
      that falsehood.

      jeromeleo@... ST. Mary's Monastery Petersham, MA