Holy Rule: Brother Jeroms July 7

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      Prayers, please, for all those with prayer requests who were not able to
      have them posted! God knows and will receive our prayers for their
      intentions just the same. Prayers for all those who have, or will, this
      day taken their own lives. May God in His infinite forgiveness have
      mercy on them. Please pray that Donna's mom is able to tolerate
      radiation therapy. She is 84 years old and is still healing after her
      surgery and other serious issues; for traveling mercies for Donna; for
      resolution of crisis at her work and understanding of the powers that be
      for Family Leave; for a financial miracle; help for her and her angel
      SCJ to avoid anxiety. Also, for Gary and critical exam. Prayers for
      Courtney, complications from steroids and Summer Flu. Also, for Brother
      Jerome and a rapid solution to his computer problems. Lord, help them
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is
      never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL March 7, July 7, November
      6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding should have its proper measure of
      discipline. With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore, or those who
      cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication, whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts or brought to terms by harsh
      beatings, that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      While I often suffer from the loneliness of being single, I never,
      ever regret the fact that I am childless. Quite the reverse! I always
      find myself deeply grateful that I have not had to face the challenge of
      raising children. I have the deepest respect for those who do. Having
      taught for a while, I know all too well how daunting it can be, even
      just part-time in the classroom.

      I can assure you that, just as there are deeply toxic adults, there are,
      alas, toxic children, too. I know. I have taught them. I don't mean that
      we should stoop to violence, but how does one reach such a child? I have
      never been able to answer that. Prayer is the only answer.

      We are social primates. We have a cross and burden to bear for our
      elevation above the rest of the primate world, a responsibility. For a
      baboon troop, this is a no-brainer: drive the loser out of the
      troop. After that, the next stop is the Lions' Pride Cafe and one
      becomes an entree. Tempting as that kind of abdication may be, it is
      something to which we can never resort.

      I think we need to cling to the Benedictine model in such situations:
      punish only to reform, not for revenge, not to destroy; punish
      appropriately, in ways that will be understood and that fit the
      offense justly. When all that fails (and even before, while we're
      watching it fail slowly!) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! To pray is NOT to do
      nothing. And it is often the only tool we have.