Morning Offering Post

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2006

      In the rush of things yesterday, the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, I forgot to post the promised copy of the Morning Offering. Mea culpa. Here it is and today- indeed ANY day- is a great day to start making it. JL

      This is a shameless re-run on the Morning Offering, one of my all-
      time favorite things to write about! Everyone reading this is in
      every morning offering of mine and has been for a long, long time!

      The first section of the Prologue asked us to seek God's blessing
      before doing any work. Today we are asked to prepare our hearts and
      bodies for the struggles ahead and ask God for His help. Both of
      these precepts are quite nicely filled by making the Morning
      Offering. Now I know that is a Roman Catholic prayer, and I also know
      we have (thanks be to God!) many Oblates of other faiths among us.
      Bear with me, please. I think this has applications for everyone.

      The morning offering is considered rather passe in some Roman
      Catholic circles. One actually wonders why, in an age that loves
      computers with tons of memory, hard drives that do all the work for
      us, even more work than our own minds could dream of doing. I have
      9100 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite
      hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two of them
      are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like eighteenth
      cousin three times removed. It will start at a point like that and
      then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors are all
      depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering, however,
      makes computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

      The morning offering is the perfect capstone, cornerstone and
      beginning for a great life of intercessory prayer. It unites the
      poverty of our own lives, prayers, works, joys and sufferings with
      those of Christ, with those of His Mystical Body. It plunges the
      finite smallness of our own actions into sea after sea of infinite
      grace and perfection and, wrapped in that awesome completeness,
      offers them to the Father in the perhaps most perfect personal gift
      we could ever hope for that day, short of martyrdom itself.

      Ever forget to pray during the day? The morning offering makes our
      very heartbeats and breathing prayers, means of grace for ourselves
      and for all. We have offered ALL our works, even the unconscious ones
      of our bodies to God, and we have offered them in union with the most
      perfect sacrifice of Jesus. With a gift tag like that, the Father is
      quite likely to be pleased, indeed. Each time we blink, or eat,
      suffer or rejoice, we link that to Christ on His Cross. None of us
      have enough bytes of memory to really do that (I have forgotten about
      it at least three times while writing this sentence!) The morning
      offering is our "hard drive" it is the program that saves to disk and
      runs automatically.

      Our baptism into the Mystical Body gives us the right to plug into
      that infinite worth. It would be a shame if we missed the
      opportunity. Let me tell you, with complete sincerity, that all the
      works of my entire life couldn't save a flea from drowning in a
      raindrop. No way. Buried within the depths of Christ, however, their
      value becomes literally infinite.

      Ever feel bad that you forgot to pray for some one who asked, or only
      whispered a quick: "Lord, help her."? The morning offering makes our
      life and our prayer an infinite pie, one which can never be sliced
      too thin. Counting huge groups and individuals, I pray every single
      day for literally billions of people and not one of them is short-
      changed at all. That's the marvel of uniting our lives and heart
      daily to Christ. Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of
      His infinity, every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and
      offering of Jesus, every single act, even the keys I just struck and
      the mouse I just moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone
      throughout time. That's not shabby, folks!

      Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
      world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
      have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
      around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
      that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
      WILL count! Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other
      groups every day. Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
      them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
      But God does, and it counts!) There is no one reading this for whom I
      have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
      matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
      who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
      The morning offering is a very neat method!

      Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
      it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
      some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
      and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
      however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
      essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
      all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings in union with those of
      Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Church and its
      leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
      allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have just
      thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into the
      very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You now
      stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age.

      MORNING OFFERING

      O my Jesus, I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
      suffering, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
      Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world
      and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your Mystical
      Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
      for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and his intentions,
      all Church leaders, and for the unity of all.

      (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
      infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
      throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, in
      holocaust for these and for Your will for them.)

      End with: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto
      Yours. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You.

      Many older Catholics may recall getting monthly leaflets for the Morning
      Offering at Church, maybe some Churches still have them, but they are nowhere
      near as available as they once were. This website puts the leaflets
      on line, along with a simple morning offering, lives of certain
      saints from the month and what the Pope's intentions for that month
      really are. (I have spent most of my life not knowing... Now I try to
      actually use them!)

      here's the URL. Enjoy!

      http://www.apostleship-prayer.org/