Mar 8

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2003

      Prayers, please, for the health of Bob, cancer, and for his family,
      for the health of Brian and Christy, severe accident with a truck,
      for Mary and her family, for Dennis, heart disease, for Basil,
      suicidal, and for Brendan. Also for the studies of John and Peg, and
      for an interview Greg has, as well as for Tomkay the weekend of his
      final Oblation! God's will be done! Thanks so much. NRN JL

      March 8, July 8, November 7
      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      As cellarer of the monastery
      let there be chosen from the community
      one who is wise, of mature character, sober,
      not a great eater, not haughty, not excitable,
      not offensive, not slow, not wasteful,
      but a God-fearing man
      who may be like a father to the whole community.

      Let him have charge of everything.
      He shall do nothing without the Abbot's orders,
      but keep to his instructions.
      Let him not vex the brethren.
      If any brother
      happens to make some unreasonable demand of him,
      instead of vexing the brother with a contemptuous refusal
      he should humbly give the reason
      for denying the improper request.

      Let him keep quard over his own soul,
      mindful always of the Apostle's saying
      that "he who has ministered well
      will acquire for himself a good standing" (1 Tim. 3:13).

      Let him take the greatest care
      of the sick, of children, of guests and of the poor,
      knowing without doubt
      that he will have to render an account for all these
      on the Day of Judgment.

      Let him regard all the utensils of the monastery
      and its whole property
      as if they were the sacred vessels of the altar.
      Let him not think that he may neglect anything.
      He should be neither a miser
      nor a prodigal and squanderer of the monastery's substance,
      but should do all things with measure
      and in accordance with the Abbot's instuctions.

      REFLECTION

      In this chapter one finds perfect instructions for any householder,
      single or married, parent or not. In fact, they're perfect
      instructions for anyone on whom others must depend for important
      things.

      Even though poverty as a vow will be different within the monastery
      and without, there is something greater than poverty here. The
      awareness that ALL comes from God, that NOTHING is our own outright,
      to hoard or splurge with no concerns for the common good. Everything
      we have, everything we think of as bought or earned, everything comes
      from God. All is His and He has lent it to us to do good in kindness
      and mercy.

      All things exist through the mercy of God, hence it follows that the
      right use of all things will be in the furtherance of God's will. If
      we seriously strive to do that, we can be very rich or very poor, and
      still be very holy. If all people lived this chapter, one would
      regularly see camels traipsing through needles' eyes with the grace
      of Olympic skaters! This is the right and perfectly ordered attitude
      towards material things: gentle, loving, merciful stewardship.