Holy Rule for May 24

    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Dianna, 25, hospitalized for 6 weeks with very severe diabetes, possibly near death and seems to be giving up hope, for her Mom and worried family and friends, for the doctors who treat her and those who treat all our prayer intention folks.
      Prayers for Jean-Marie, he was in a terrible car accident in Florida and for his very worried family. Prayers for Ivanna, 90 and failing, she has received the Sacrament of the Sick. Prayers for God's will for her and her family, for her happy death and eternal rest, if death is imminent. Prayers for D. and his new goddaughter, also for some financial issues to iron out. Prayers for James and a strong faith for him in a difficult time. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 23, May 24, September 23
      Chapter 5: On Obedience

      But this very obedience
      will be acceptable to God and pleasing to all
      only if what is commanded is done
      without hesitation, delay, lukewarmness, grumbling, or objection.
      For the obedience given to Superiors is given to God,
      since He Himself has said,
      "He who hears you, hears Me" (Luke 10:16).
      And the disciples should offer their obedience with a good will,
      for "God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7).
      For if the disciple obeys with an ill will
      and murmurs,
      not necessarily with his lips but simply in his heart,
      then even though he fulfill the command
      yet his work will not be acceptable to God,
      who sees that his heart is murmuring.
      And, far from gaining a reward for such work as this,
      he will incur the punishment due to murmurers,
      unless he amend and make satisfaction.

      REFLECTION

      It is our hearts that convict us in obedience. Not because of
      feelings or emotions, those can be mistaken, but because of the
      relationship between love and will. Many of us have loved someone and
      hated having to do something that the love required, but we did it
      anyway. Our feelings or repugnance were over-ruled by the will in our
      hearts to love. Face it, love does not ALWAYS feel too good, which is
      a principal way it differs from mere feelings.

      Jean Ronan, one of my favorite teachers used to tell me to always make all
      decisions "in the light of the death candle", that is, as if one were about to
      die. How hearing that annoyed me at 30, but how true it is, and the closer one gets
      to the possibility of that death candle, the truer it is. There's a handy rule of thumb
      here. Does our choice put God and our faith first, no matter what? If it does
      not, something is terribly wrong.

      There is also the trust of faith involved here. God is God and we must firmly
      believe He will do the best for us, no matter how unclear that may sometimes be.
      Jesus often told St. Faustina to ask her superiors for permissions, hard
      permissions, to do this or that extra prayer or mortification, that He KNEW they
      would refuse. Then, after the refusal, He would tell Faustina that
      her obedience meant more to Him than the thing denied.

      He also said to her that all creatures do His will, whether they want
      to not or, whether they know it or not. Now there's a hefty order!
      Still when we look at St. Paul's remark that, "for those who love
      God, all things work together for good," this is not at all far-fetched.
      St. Paul did not say all wise things, or well-intentioned things, or
      cooperative things. He said "all" and he was inspired to say that by
      the Holy Spirit.

      "All things".....hmmmm. There is a mystical point where the will of God
      cannot be thwarted. This is evident in the lives of many saints. When Jesus
      told them nothing could harm them, He wasn't just kidding around! In spite
      of seemingly insuperable odds, His will for them would triumph again and
      again. But this is NOT just for saints: it is true for all of us! Obedience
      throws us into the frightening vortex of that, but it gets easier as our faith
      (and experience of God's goodness!) deepens.

      We have been too ready to think that obedience depends only on
      humans, who are flawed. It doesn't. All obedience is given to God.
      Our love and trust and His love and mercy are the deciding factors,
      not the universally flawed human weakness that plagues every human
      means of God's will in this world.

      Want a little theological aside here? Look at what this concept of
      all doing His will does to the concept of sin. It makes it the ULTIMATE rip-off.
      If, even when we try to thwart God, we further His plans (and face it, He
      *IS* clever enough to pull that off,) then we are left with absolutely nothing
      but the bitter ashes of our own useless self- defeat. With Him or against Him,
      His kingdom will nevertheless come. What a tragedy to have been nothing
      more than a futile obstacle to that!

      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2007

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for John and Carol, celebrating their 32nd anniversary, ad multos annos, many more! HUGE Deo gratias for Onowa, the woman for whom we prayed, she had only a vein burst in her brain, not an artery, hence no irreversible damage and excellent prognosis. Continued prayers for her recovery. The difference was literally between life and death, prayers have great power!

        Prayers for Fr. Robert of St. Leo, surgery postponed for cardiac clearance, and the surgery is something he badly needs. Prayers for Ken, esophagus removed, and for his wife, Rose. Prayers for Herman, terminal cancer, weeks to live, for his happy and death and eternal rest and for his sister, Beatrice and all their family.

        Prayers for the three missing American soldiers kidnapped 12 days ago in Iraq, one, possible two are dead, prayers for them all and all their families, for the happy death and eternal rest of any who may have died, for the safe return of any who have survived. Prayers for all in harm's way in war zones and for those who love them and worry for them. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2008

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Adrian's friend, he has fluid and MRSA in his lungs and they have made him a do not resuscitate. Prayers, too, for all who will mourn him.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Maria, 5, accidentally killed when her older brother was backing out their SUV, and for the brother and Steven Curtis Chapman, the Christian singer/recording artist, and his wife, Maria's parents, and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for the perfect will of God for KJV, time off needed to help her elderly mother move, ATV, for discernment of God's Holy Spirit and Will in the decision she must make, also for MLZ, for a restored relationship and to curb her materialistic lifestyle.

          Prayers for Mary F.'s inteview and God's will.

          Prayers for Sen. Ted Kennedy, his family, staff, constituents and friends; he has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.

          Prayers for Kathy, lung cancer, and now in intensive care after a serious fall that occurred when she was alone. She is extremely weak, and the prognosis is not good. Prayers, please, for her recovery; or, if it be His will, a warm welcome into His arms.

          Prayers too for Gregory and his graduating seniors, who celebrate their last day of school tomorrow.