Holy Rule for May 20

    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Ray, severe fluid retention of unknown origin, for his wife, Sharon, and all his family. His cousin is praying to Pope John Paul II for him. Prayers, too, for the happy death of Michael, 14, who has gone to God. His organs were donated and his Mom and family particularly need prayers in this time of grief. Prayers, too, for the happy death of his Dad, lost to suicide last year, may God's mercy welcome and enfold them both and may they accept His embrace. Prayers for J, having a difficult time just now, and for Angela and Kalvin, marital problems, he has asked for a divorce. Prayers for Clara, elderly, suffered two falls, striking her head in one of them and now confused and hallucinating, for her worried son and all her family. prayers for all those who treat us medically, God guide them! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      These Instruments of Good Works are an excellent compendium and
      summary of Christianity itself. The very order in which they are
      listed seems to be less than accidental: the first and greatest
      commandment that Jesus spoke of, to love God with one's whole being,
      is first, followed by His second commandment of love of neighbor.
      Selections from the 10 commandments follow that. Hence, it would seem
      to be no accident that the exhortations to avoid perjury and
      to "utter truth from heart and mouth" immediately follow one that
      bids us never "to forsake charity."

      Jesus tells us: "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." St. John
      tells us that "God is Love." There is no way to safely dissociate
      these things from one another. One cannot leave out truth and be left
      (forgive this phrase,) with 2/3 of God. No, truth is of His essence, as
      is love. Leave out one of these and you have nothing, you are left
      with a false god, one far short of the perfection we acknowledge and
      worship.

      Christian life is communal, period. Search the Scriptures if you will
      for any indication that a Christian can find God alone, but your
      efforts will be in vain. Our religion is not a solo act! Benedictine life,
      in cloister or world, is an even finer focusing on that necessity of
      community. Community, however, is built on trust. Its levels vary
      commensurately with the levels of safety we feel with another person
      and those levels often vary according to our past experience!

      God is Truth, so it is little wonder that offending truth offends
      God. The secondary reason that deceit and falsity are so terribly
      wrong is that they destroy trust and make community either less
      possible or totally impossible.

      When I taught in grammar school, many of our children would
      simply lie as a first resort, not a last. It was rather an attitude of
      "Hey, give it a shot! It might fly..." This was not my impression
      alone, but all of the faculty's. It was sad, but we had to accept the
      fact that one could not safely trust many of our children most of the
      time. One could usually dig out the truth one on one, alone, but one
      didn't always have the time or privacy to do so. That made it very
      hard to build any kind of community in an ultimate sense. We loved
      our kids like crazy, but we had to be sadly aware that there was
      sometimes a more than average manipulation of truth.

      That's one thing among children, whom one is trying to lead forth, to
      form. Among adults, it is often flat out fatal to community as soon
      as noticed. We certainly need to forgive and we certainly need to be
      innocent as doves, but we are not asked to be fools. There is no
      command that bids us hold our second hand firmly on a hot stove while
      apologizing with the one first burned. Jesus knew very well what
      lying would do to our hearts, how it would impair them. That's why we
      are asked to never do that to one another.

      Trust and community, love and truth, life and the way, these are
      entwined in the heart of God, that heart to which we all hope to go.
      We need all of those things for our journey.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2007

        Prayers for Terence, Jeanne, and Terence's daughters, Marianna & Brennan. He has been battling cancer for 2 1/2 years and his health is beginning to seriously decline. Prayers for Terence and for all who love him, for a happy death and peace in God's will and especially that he be fortified with all the Sacraments of the Church.

        Prayers, please, for John, Joe and Matt, for a safe and pleasant trip to Canada, also for Katrina, their Mom, and their three brothers staying home. Prayers for Cindy, debilitating pain from a bulging disc and displaced sacral nerve has incapacitated her, waiting for neurology consult and pain clinic appointment.

        Prayers for Dianne, newly diagnosed with breast cancer, awaiting treatment options, also for her daughter, Michele, who has many health issues. Prayers for Mike, closed chest heart surgery on Monday, and for Genny, recurrent anxiety attacks. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL