Holy Rule for May 18

    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2006

      There are so many prayer requests and so varied, that i will not be able to acknowledge them all individually. Please for give me and accept their appearance here as an acknowledgment and as my gratitude for letting us all help with prayers.

      Prayers for Michael, 14, head injury for whom we prayed, removed from life support, for his happy death with the Sacraments and his eternal rest. Special prayers for his Mom and sister, and all his family. Just last year they lost his Dad to suicide and this must be crushingly hard losing Michael, too. Prayers for the victims of a horrific accident in Ghana, reported by our Fr. Giles who is over there. A parish choir minibus was struck by another bus and all 31 choirs members were killed, four on the other bus and six have since died in the hospital. Ironically, the choir was travelling to sing at the funeral of an Olivetan Benedictine monk killed in another car accident. Prayers for Bien and Maureen, both of whom died last week from liver cancer, for their happy deaths and eternal rest, for their families and all who mourn them, especially Bien's wife and Maureen's sister.

      Prayers for Cora, a young teacher diagnosed with MS, also for Alfred, further bleeding complications after a stroke, for his wife and his grown children, especially Fr. Guy. Alfred is prepared for God's will, but fears lingering debilitation. prayers for God's perfect will for him and for all we pray for today! Prayers for Cheryl, seeking God's will in her job hunt. May she not get a job that He does not want her to have. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      But if anyone should presume to do so,
      At the same time,
      and in observance of the Rule,
      knowing that beyond a doubt
      to God, the most just Judge.

      be of lesser importance,
      It is written,
      "Do everything with counsel,

      This reading completes the chapter and offers us the capstone to the
      grace and beauty of St. Benedict's government. The Abbot "should do
      all things in the fear of God." Give just a brief shot at applying
      that to Cardinals, Bishops, and Pastors, as well as parents, bosses
      and all the laity. What a different world we would have!

      Abbot Charles Mohr of St. Leo used to say: "Keep the Holy Rule and
      the Rule will keep you." How true that is! If an Abbot acts in the
      fear of God, his community can be united in pride behind him, even
      decades later. In 1908, when Florida was still a hotbed of Ku Klux
      Klan activity, both racist and anti-Catholic, Abbot Charles accepted
      George Miller, a black man who had applied to enter the monastery.

      He ignored the threat that predictably came in the mail, and stood
      firm. Though George, of his own will, did not stay, he was welcome in
      Abbot Charles' eyes, a brother in Christ. Abbot Charles' actions
      preached that to any willing to listen, as well as to quite a few who
      were not!

      Abbot Francis, St. Leo's second Abbot, was born in Bavaria and fluent
      in German. In World War II, when POW camps in Florida began to fill up with
      German Catholics, Abbot Francis went calmly to minister to their sacramental
      needs, something his facility in their language made eminently
      sensible.

      Abbot Francis was no doubt that saintliest man to govern
      the Abbey thus far, and he emulated the gentle love of his patron,
      St. Francis de Sales. That gentle kindness prompted him to invite the
      German prisoners to come to the Abbey for Christmas Midnight Mass in
      1944. There were 500 German voices singing "Silent Night" in its
      original tongue.

      Twelve days later, arson destroyed the prep school gym. Nothing could
      be proven, but many suspected the reason. Abbot Francis continued his
      ministry . He invited the POW's to come back for Easter, 1945. Two
      weeks after the Easter visit, St. Mary's Science Hall was torched.
      Abbot Francis did not budge.

      This was in war time, the community was hardly rolling in cash, they
      were building a Church and they had lost two terribly important
      components of their principal livelihood, a residential prep school
      for boys. Not only the buildings, but how many might fear to send
      their sons back to a campus of arson? What if it were a dormitory
      next time? Abbot Francis held firm. He did not protect capital or
      real estate. He protected the honor of God, period.

      The community is still very proud of him to this day, justly so. No
      one called for his ouster, because he protected things of God. That
      was a gutsy courage that none but his most implacable enemies could
      possibly hate. Do genuine, fearless good and the faithful will unite
      behind you in a formidable host. Fail that good, fail that fear of
      God alone, and you may be getting coverage on network news outlets
      that a celebrity would kill for.

      Abbot Francis died when I was 13. I had the inestimable privilege of
      meeting him while still in grade school and his kindness over his
      last years to me, a mere child, was touching, indeed. I'm a 9 year
      old kid and an Abbot was sending me postcards when he traveled to
      give retreats.

      My family was lower middle class, not rich. We were, as such,
      completely unused to much fuss from prelates! Abbot Francis did not
      pander to our family, there was no reason to, he just loved us. I was
      so proud and I am so very, very proud to have known him, a privilege
      denied to many of his sons in my generation and later.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2007

        Prayers, please, for Tania, whom we have prayed for, waiting for a kidney, now she has had blood pressure problems and slow heart rate. She is hospitalized for surgery today to implant a defibrillator. Prayers for her and all her family, especially her husband, Jose, and their children.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias: Sr. Veronica, for whom we prayed, not only had a successful surgery, but doctors found less than they expected and so a more complicated procedure was not necessary. She is very grateful for our prayers, continued prayers for her recovery.

        Prayers for Lisa, severe depression, also obsessive/compulsive disorder, so impaired she cannot work and is living with her parents. Deep in debt she cannot pay, this is creating an awful strain on all the family and she refuses treatment. Some ardent prayers needed here! For those so inclined, prayers to (and for!) the souls in purgatory who have suffered from these same problems can be very powerful, indeed. Try the 1,000 souls prayer, at the end of these intentions.

        Prayers for Ohio, a devoted husband and father, very ill and possibly in danger of death, for his wife, Barbara, his daughter, Alix and all their family. May all be filled with trust and God's will. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        1,00 Souls Prayer: Eternal father, I offer You the most precious Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in purgatory.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2008

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Jan, on the third anniversary of her death (yesterday.) Prayers, too, for all who mourn her.

          Prayers for a special intention for Pat.

          Prayers of thanksgiving and Deo gratias: Rod, for whom we prayed, got off the stalled subway train quickly and without serious incident of claustrophobia or panic.