Holy Rule for May 11

    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Michael, 14, head injury and in a coma. If he comes out of the coma, there is a chance of blindness or deafness. Prayers for his distraught parents and family, for his doctors and for all the doctors who treat us. Prayers for Tom, struggling to vent grief over the loss of his dear friend. Prayers, too, for Christiana, 17, bumpy relationship with Cathy, her stepmother, and for John, her Dad, and all their family. Prayers for Ann, severe leg and hip pain, diagnostic work-up today, and for John, her husband. Prayers for J., 4, victimized by a particularly nasty custody/visitation battle, may God's best will for her prevail over a terribly flawed human mess. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.

      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      REFLECTION

      Be of good cheer, all abbots and parents! St. Benedict wrote this well
      over a thousand years before the dawn of psychiatry. He was very holy
      and very wise, but he was a creation of his own times. I think it is
      safe to say that, in St. Benedict's time and for many centuries
      afterward, there was a tendency to look at most behavior as choice,
      not compulsion. Things were somewhat more black and white. Under a
      system such as that given in the first half of this reading, many, if
      not most parents and authority figures of today would fry without a doubt.

      I needed exactly the parents I got, so did my Dad, so did my Mom, so did
      their parents. That's just another way of saying that we are all victims of
      victims,a concept of which St. Benedict probably would never have dreamed.
      [Or, that we are all beneficiaries of beneficiaries, because that, too, is true,
      and probably more the way St. Benedict's time would have seen things.]

      But in some way each of us is a victim or beneficiary of something which shapes us,
      as are our parents and so on. We aren't perfect. We also all pass on some of
      what shaped us, whether consciously or not. May we always pass on only the good!!

      Consider the marvel of God's tailoring one abbess to 50 nuns; quite a
      deal, isn't it? Now consider this. For each of us to get our perfect
      set of parents, here's a PARTIAL picture of God's fine tuning.
      Obviously, the whole chain has to fit or it comes out wrong. We each
      have 8,388,608 21st great-grandparents, with a total of parents and
      grandparents in those 24 generations of 16,777,214. (Don't forget that
      each of those forebears had the same number of ancestors, too!)

      That total is comfortably more than the combined populations of the
      cities of New York, Boston, Chicago, Tampa, Washington, DC, and the
      entire State of Missouri. And, for a person alive today, that would
      probably only get you back to about the year 1000 AD. Begin to get
      the picture of how God has thought of us (and them!) from all
      eternity? There's a lot more than 50 nuns going on here, in fact,
      there was a different and equal set of forbears for each of those 50
      nuns AND their abbess.

      By the way, St. Benedict had a lot of help from the Holy Spirit.
      Hence, although he wrote the second part of today's reading, about
      the acquittal of the abbess who's done her best, without the benefit
      of modern psychology, it nevertheless fits right in to our current
      awareness. No one can give what they don't have (or, if they do, it's
      only the working of grace that makes that possible.)

      I can't teach you Hebrew, I don't know it. But, if I was suddenly presented
      with the fact that I'd HAVE to teach Hebrew, I'd buy a beginning text and
      we'd stumble through somehow together. How very like parenting,
      except that, for most of our partial crowd of sixteen million, there
      were no textbooks!

      Parents and abbatial types, take heart. God not only CAN use
      anything, He HAS to use anything. The human standards throughout
      history after Eden have made that more than certain. God knows and
      loves each of us. He is more parent than we are and He is, unlike
      ourselves, perfect.

      If a six year old child had been forced to plan the Coronation of the
      Queen, fifty-three years ago in London, it probably would have been
      MUCH different. For one thing, there'd probably have been a lot more
      elephants and clowns in the parade! Most of us with any kind of
      hearts would have smiled at the child's efforts, been surprised that
      they actually did so well. That, m'dears, is exactly the attitude of
      God toward us, except that He isn't surprised: He knew all along that
      we could do well with His grace and help!

      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2007
        +PAX

        A REMINDER: My AOL address is no more, new address is: jeromeleo@...

        Prayers for Fr. Joe Fallon, who makes his Oblation to our monastery today. Ad multos annos, many years! It is also his anniversary of ordination.

        Prayers for Br. Joachim, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, who has gone to God, for his happy death and eternal rest and for his Community and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Ramona, very near death, for her happy death and eternal rest and for all her family. Prayers especially for her sister, Sister Mary David, for whom Ramona's death will be very hard. Also for the happy death and eternal rest of Crispin, comatose and unresponsive, brother of our Fr. Giles, and for all his family. Prayers for the parish of St. James Episcopal Church in Michigan, extensive fire damage to their Church. Prayers please for Kathy, Ron,and Betsy for a safe and happy trip to Alaska.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Bob, his liver transplant lab work is getting better, but his son, Jesse, whose broken foot we prayed for, is healing poorly and will have to have another surgery to put plates in his foot. Prayers for faith for him and his parents, too. Prayers for MaryAnn, a prospective buyer for her house fell through and now the process begins again. Prayers for Leon, very painful scoliosis and hopeful for healing. Prayers, too, for the happy death and eternal rest of Emmanuel, who died unexpectedly, for his family, especially his wife and small children. Prayers for Tiffanitza's mother, painful back spasms. Prayers, also, for Rich and his Dad. His Dad had a stroke and is diabetic, now semi-comatose and painful bed sores. Prayers for them both. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Queen, fifty-four years ago in London, it probably would have been

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2016
          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Joseph, and for all his family and all
          who mourn him.

          Prayers for, Marion, who is scheduled for exploratory surgery on Friday.

          Deo gratias, a young man whose girlfriend committed suicide has stopped
          drinking is trying to get sober. He is still blaming himself and is
          depressed but he seems to be making progress. Says he "asked for Gods
          help." he is attending AA and is now out of the house where he found her
          body. Keep praying for him to grow in experience of God's love and mercy.

          Please pray that the Holy Spirit guide Amy, she is hoping for a surgery to
          help correct her anorexia. Prayers that her emotions don't influence this
          surgery, that another method be revealed by the Holy Spirit. God's will be
          done.

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Kerrie, she has been set up with a
          cpap machine, continued prayers that her other sleep problems be resolved.

          Prayers for a woman who is struggling to find herself. She is a mother of
          two but not sure that she wants to continue with the marriage to her
          husband and father of her children. Prayers for active communication between
          the two and also for the two little ones Sophia and Lincoln who need both
          their mom and their dad.

          Prayers for Elaine experiencing sudden onset of pain on the bottom of her
          right foot. Prayers that her foot heals quickly and the pain goes away.

          Prayers for the repose of the soul of Sharon, 69. Prayers for comfort for
          her family especially her husband Eddie and their children and grandchildren
          and for all who mourn her.

          grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. BJL

[...]

          If you are a parent or a boss or a teacher or a minister, ordained or
          not, please look very carefully at something in this chapter: we will
          be judged on our teaching. The complete obedience of those under our
          care is not entirely up to us, but our teachings are very much in our
          own hands.

          Tremendous harm has been done by people in authority, any authority,
          teaching things that are false to those they serve, whether
          implicitly or explicitly. The guarantee
          that genuine, orthodox teaching carries is lacking.
          The teachings of the Church have a weight of
          tradition and communal reflection and the care of the Holy Spirit
          behind them. Our subjective, personal feelings cannot equal that.

          Orthodoxy, truth, has a very wide embrace. If we know that and
          understand it, we must try to get everyone, one way
          or the other, into that embrace. Pray that it can be done. God does, after
          all,
          will that all people be saved, St. Paul assures us of that.

          On the other hand making extensive alterations that we
          ourselves feel are suitable is not as appropriate as some may deem.
          In a job situation, it could cost both you and the unfortunates who
          believed you the loss of employment. In religious matters, the price
          would be considerably higher, the risk greater.

          Whenever we are in any position to teach by word or example, we must
          be very, very careful that what we give as Gospel is truth, not a thinly
          disguised version of our own current hang-ups. People deserve far
          more than that and so do we!

          Love and prayers,
          Jerome OSB
          http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/
          Petersham, MA 01366

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10

            +PAX

            Continued ardent prayers for the release of Salesian Fr. Tom Uzhunnalil, kidnapped in Yemen 14 months ago. Another video has appeared, showing him alive, but very thin and stating he needs hospitalization.

            Prayers for a safe and happy home visit for our Fr. Gregory, and for the health of his elderly Mom.

            Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for C., whose surgery went well and whose biopsy went better than expected. Discharged now, continued prayers for her healing, recovery, strength and grace.

            Prayers for Bill, newly-diagnosed with cancer and scheduled for surgery soon. Deo gratias that this has been caught early. Prayers too for his dear daughter, Cath, who will be travelling halfway around the world to be with him and to support her mother. Please pray, too, for Cath's Mum, who is also the caregiver of two of Bill’s brothers. She works so hard.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Joseph K., and for all his family and all who mourn him.

            Prayers for Vilma M., who underwent surgery for colon cancer, for s speedy and complete recovery and healing.

            Prayers for Daniel, his paycheck was reduced by 25% due to funding cuts. Pray that his finances may be restored and stable.

            Prayers for Sharon and her daughter, near her daughter’s 54th birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

            Please pray for strength and healing for Bob and Marion.

            Anonymous intention: From a person for whom we have prayed  for years who feels they owe the prayer community a debt of thanks  and requests prays that the work of restoration continue.