Holy Rule for May 5

    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Donna, seeking an editorial position and hoping it is God's will for her. Prayers, too, for Cheryl, preliminary phone interview today at 11:15 am for an important job, for God's will for her, too! Prayers for Lillie, newborn with multiple problems, only one kidney, given a 50/50 chance of survival, for her Dad and Lisa, her Mom, also for Steve and all her grandparents. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      January 4, May 5, September 4
      Prologue (continued)

      Having our loins girded, therefore,
      with faith and the performance of good works (Eph. 6:14),
      let us walk in His paths
      by the guidance of the Gospel,
      that we may deserve to see Him
      who has called us to His kingdom (1 Thess. 2:12).

      For if we wish to dwell in the tent of that kingdom,
      we must run to it by good deeds
      or we shall never reach it.

      But let us ask the Lord, with the Prophet,
      "Lord, who shall dwell in Your tent,
      or who shall rest upon Your holy mountain" (Ps. 14:1)?

      After this question,
      let us listen to the Lord
      as He answers and shows us the way to that tent, saying,
      "The one Who walks without stain and practices justice;
      who speaks truth from his heart;
      who has not used his tongue for deceit;
      who has done no evil to his neighbor;
      who has given no place to slander against his neighbor."

      This is the one who,
      under any temptation from the malicious devil,
      has brought him to naught (Ps. 14:4)
      by casting him and his temptation from the sight of his heart;
      and who has laid hold of his thoughts
      while they were still young
      and dashed them against Christ (Ps. 136:9).

      It is they who,
      fearing the Lord (Ps. 14:4),
      do not pride themselves on their good observance;
      but,
      convinced that the good which is in them
      cannot come from themselves and must be from the Lord,
      glorify the Lord's work in them (Ps. 14:4),
      using the words of the Prophet,
      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
      but to Your name give the glory" (Ps. 113, 2nd part:1).
      Thus also the Apostle Paul
      attributed nothing of the success of his preaching to himself,
      but said,
      "By the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Cor. 15:10).
      And again he says,
      "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord" (2 Cor. 10:17).

      REFLECTION

      Very briefly, there is an excellent theology of works and faith here,
      one which both Lutherans and Roman Catholics should love, with things
      each side needs badly to hear. We need on the Catholic side need to
      recognize that there is no good in our works that is not of God, of
      the saving act of Jesus, and the Lutheran side needs to hear that
      works are important means of showing God how much we love Him and
      believe in Him. Works are the logical result of faith. Both sides
      need faith and no one is anything at all in terms of good without
      God, without Christ's perfect sacrifice.

      Our Baptism allows us to do good, because it incorporates (literally "in-bodies" us!)
      into God. In His Mystical Body, we receive the boon of the ability to do good.
      We can get so accustomed to this that we can forget that without Him we
      could do absolutely nothing of any worth whatever. That is why it is so very
      important to make the Morning Offering, to tie our own poor works, prayers,
      joys and sufferings to those of Christ and the Cross. Plunged into Jesus,
      they become tools of infinite merit and worth!

      So yes, we must do good works, but, "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
      but to Your name give the glory!" Works and faith are not the Western
      thought dichotomy of "yes and no" of, "either or," but the Zen mind
      of "yes AND no" of "both and." Without God, neither works nor ourselves have any
      meaning at all. With God, both are enriched, but only because of Him.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome,OSB

      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2007

        Prayers, please, for Margaret, arterial surgery, now she must be motionless
        for three days to heal, also for her daughter, Mary. F. Prayers, too, for
        Della, scheduled for a hip replacement, but mercifully that was not necessary,
        bone repair was done instead. Prayers for her continued recovery, and for her
        husband, Gino.

        Prayers, please, for Mark, prostrate biopsy scheduled for next Monday, but
        he has to wait until the 16th for
        the results. Please also pray for his return to practice of his faith.
        Please pray, also, for Judy who had brain surgery on Tuesday, and for Rose's
        brother, Domi, who has died. Prayers, please, for Jeff, severely injured in a
        January car `accident which also killed his Dad. Prayers for his Dad's happy
        death and eternal rest, and for Jeff, home now, but progressing slowly, and for
        all their family.

        Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for Leigh, recovering well from serious
        auto injuries, also for Jan's steady healing of her broken ankle, off crutches
        now. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. ALl is mercy

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2008

          Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take are of them:

          Mary Frances, complications arose post-op. Increase blood loss and increase in blood pressure. Very frightening experience for her.

          For two who badly need to return to the Sacraments.
          John a young man with heart problems who is going in for tests.
          Mark who is facing problems in his life requiring serious discernment.

          A priest who is under going problems with aging.

          Jim who is having problems with his prayer life.

          a parish which is loosing a much beloved pastor.