Holy Rule for May 3

    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers for Jimmy and all our Jameses on their feast day. God grant them graces and blessings abounding!

      Prayers for Jane, her husband and four children, faced with having to move again and a lot of uprooting. For God's perfect will for them all and the landlord! Prayers for Kenth, severe mental illness and refusing treatment, suicide attempts, arson and threatening his family, a very sad affair all around.For James' father, brain tumor, given a month to live, for James and all his family, may God's will be done for all. Prayers for Tyler, 4, who accidentally discharged his father's gun, hitting himself in the eye, now in critical condition, for his distraught parents and all his family. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 2, May 3, September 2
      Prologue (continued)

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      Check out the similarities of this section, at the beginning of the
      Holy Rule, and the readings of early Lent, which stress that "now is
      the acceptable time." It brings to mind St. Benedict's later chapter
      which says that the monastic life ought always to have some semblance
      of Lent.

      That perpetual Lent chapter is the source of a lot of grumbling about
      austerity from one camp and cheering about it from another. Both may
      have missed a salient point. Perhaps the greatest element of
      perpetual Lent has less to do with austerity- even the monastic fast
      did not last all year. What are perpetually in style are repentance, wakefulness
      and self-examination.

      Monastic life withers in either smugness or a rut. What St. Benedict
      wants us to do is always to try and stay at that serious moment of
      taking inventory that many of us feel at Lent's beginning. We need to
      always be checking what needs to be cleaned up and we need to be
      prepared, even a bit eager, to start working on it. This is why a
      daily examination of conscience is so necessary. Compline, the
      traditional liturgical place for such examens, is a very apt place
      for same. As we prepare for sleep, which prefigures death, we prepare
      also for death, by examining our faults and asking forgiveness.

      The Holy Rule, like Lent, is by no means the gateway to an easier
      life, but to a holier one. As we actually grow in holiness much of it
      will become easier, more natural to us. But until that time, it is a
      struggle and, in unconquered areas, it remains something of a
      struggle for all of our lives. What's hard about that struggle isn't
      fasting or penance, but changing ourselves. Austere practices are
      just a means to that end, not ends in themselves.

      The whole idea of Lent and the Holy Rule is lasting change for the
      better. Lent is a seasonal construct to get us to begin anew, the
      Holy Rule says that beginning anew must be a daily thing. Lent is an
      attempt to get us to do for forty days what we ought to have been
      doing all year. The Holy Rule is a way to do what we ought to do all
      year, every day.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers for all our Jameses and Philips on their feastday. Blessings galore,
        y'all!

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Ellie, the child with heart surgery
        for whom we prayed and for Betsy & John, her parents.The surgery was long and
        they repaired the hole and re-routed blood vessels and installed a pacemaker.
        Prayers for her continued recovery. Prayers for Carol, suffering badly with
        allergies, also for Larry, who has just returned from the west coast for
        employment interviews and is waiting to hear from them.
        Prayers for all students who will be taking their AP exams starting next
        week, and for those who teach and prepare them for same! Prayers for Tony,
        hoping that a job he wants at Fordham is God's will for him.
        Prayers please, for Mary, impending surgery, about which she is quite
        concerned.

        Prayers, too, for Jane, who is approaching death from Lupus. Please pray for
        her and her family, that they all may be comforted, and secure in the
        knowledge of God's love and mercy. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for a
        pilgrimage filled with blessings for Ann, now prayers for her safe journey home.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2016
            +PAX

            A belated Easter greeting to all our Orthodox brothers and sisters, who
            celebrated Easter yesterday, May 2. Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!

            Prayers for the eternal rest of James, Br. James, Fr. James and Br. Philip,
            on their patronal feast, and for all our Philips and Jameses on their
            feastday.

            Prayers for the community of St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, in New
            York City. Their Church was destroyed by a huge fire yesterday, on Orthodox
            Easter Sunday.

            Prayers, please, for Amanda, still in the hospital after a spinal injury
            last year, the medics had hoped to move her to rehab but she had a relapse
            in the meantime, prayers that whatever is blocking her recovery may be
            removed and that she might gain strength from the Lord to continue the good
            fight and grow in grace.

            Please also add Cheryl Ann to your prayers, who is currently discerning if
            she is called to the Carthusian life.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2

              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of James, Br. James, Fr. James, Fr. James L., and Br. Philip, on their patronal feast, and for all our Philips and Jameses on their feastday.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of four dead and the recovery of 45 injured in tornados which struck eastern Texas, prayers for the families of all and for all who lost homes or property or businesses. Special prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for St. John the Evangelist parish: their Church was destroyed, but the 45 parishioners meeting there at the time were all spared.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Br. Joseph M.’s aunt, Eileen, 93, and continued prayers for his father, who has rallied and seems not to be dying as soon as he was thought to be. Prayers, too, for Br. Joseph and his siblings, for improved relations between the,

              Prayers for a man and his estranged father. The father apparently murdered someone. Prayers for his victim’s eternal rest and for his victim’s family. Prayers for the father’s repentance and conversion and for healing for all. This is very hard on the son, so extra prayers for him.

              Prayers for B. and O., expecting their first child and needing to find a larger place to live. This is a very stressful time for them, their dog is terminally ill and they need to find a place very soon. Prayers that God will find them the place that they need.

              Prayers for Alex, recovering from surgery.

              Prayers for the physical safety and for the Holy Spirit’s miraculous cure of Mark, a pedophile beginning a sentence of 9-20 years. Prayers, too, for healing for whomever he has hurt, especially C., that she recovers from what has been done to her. Prayers for the families of all.

              Prayers for Allen, suffering from a kidney stone and having difficulty getting treatment.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Rosemarie, 87, and for all their family, esp. her daughter, Pat,  and for all who mourn her.