Holy Rule for Apr. 30

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2006
      +PAX

      Remarkable Providence, given today's reflection, that we have three separate prayer intentions, each connected to its own form of self-destructive evil zeal. God has a way of doing such things!

      Prayers for a parent separated from spouse and children, living alone, mentally ill and not taking meds or going to therapy, acting out violently. Prayers, too, for one arrested for a drug sale which occurred sometime in the past, before recent efforts to to get life in order, return to school, and stay clean from drugs. The prospect of a prison term may well be having effects to scare this individual back onto the right path. Prayers for the worried families of both these folks, especially the parents, spouse and children.

      Now, the best wine for last! HUGE Deo gratias: Virginia, also mentally ill and gone missing in another area of the country, has been found and graciously accepted her family's help and is now hospitalized and getting the treatment she needed. Her family expresses their profound gratitude for our prayers. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 30, August 30, December 30
      Chapter 72: On the Good Zeal Which They Ought to Have

      Just as there is an evil zeal of bitterness
      which separates from God and leads to hell,
      so there is a good zeal
      which separates from vices and leads to God
      and to life everlasting.
      This zeal, therefore, the sisters should practice
      with the most fervent love.
      Thus they should anticipate one another in honor (Rom. 12:10);
      most patiently endure one another's infirmities,
      whether of body or of character;
      vie in paying obedience one to another --
      no one following what she considers useful for herself,
      but rather what benefits another;
      tender the charity of sisterhood chastely;
      fear God in love;
      love their Abbess with a sincere and humble charity;
      prefer nothing whatever to Christ.
      And may He bring us all together to life everlasting!

      REFLECTION

      This chapter, full of self-evident and beautiful prose should serve
      as a short rule of life, a summary of all that has gone before it.
      Live this one, and you're all right: the details from the other
      chapters will take care of themselves. Little wonder then that its
      principal points are love, obedience and humility, practiced in the
      chastity of wholeness. (Chastity, it must be recalled, is proper to
      every state in life. It is the well-ordered, balanced and whole use
      of sexuality.) Even less wonder that, to call Scripture in to witness
      here, "the greatest of these is love." Merton's one-line Holy Rule
      summary also applies: "Love is the Rule."

      The beauty here is so great that we often do not spend enough time
      looking at its converse: "the evil zeal of bitterness." What a great
      turn of phrase! Like many of us, St. Benedict seems to have known
      some whose bitterness turned into an energetic zeal, a way of life, a
      broken power line in a windy world that could strike others or
      themselves without warning.

      And "zeal" is precisely the word! People can put such frighteningly
      zealous levels of effort into self-loathing bitterness. It becomes a
      full-time job, one which requires so much energy that it's a marvel
      that they continue. Bitter anger, self-hatred, unforgiving ill-will
      towards all or most, these are viciously involuted cycles. They turn
      on the self, malignantly. They injure and alienate others to make
      one's twisted world view remain correct. They never rest, the fist is
      always clenched, the hand never open.

      Someone years ago wrote a book about suicide titled "The Savage God."
      The premise was that the illness which caused suicide was like some
      pagan deity that destroyed its adherents, an apt enough assessment.
      But evil zeal is a savage god, too. Unlike suicide which leads to
      death, this one insists on a long and horrible end in prison.

      I have known two monks with this dreadful problem, both now long
      dead. Thank heavens, they persevered to the end and one hopes
      that was enough. One hopes that the tortured lives they endured were more
      than enough to save them. They both guaranteed that their own lives were
      hell and pretty much ensured smaller doses of hell for the rest of us living with
      them. As often happens, I made the foolish mistake of thinking myself and those
      they afflicted more worthy of pity than the sufferers themselves. What tragic lives
      they had, how wrong I was in my assessment!

      When I was much younger and living with those embittered monks, it
      was hard to look at them with much pity or calm, because I saw them as
      simply hateful or mean. It isn't, now, thank God. Both were disturbed and I
      was blind to the fact that their mental illness made their behavior far less a
      matter in their own control. I have spent considerable time praying for both
      of them, as well as for a few of their "runners-up"!

      While all things are possible with God, the terrible thing is that this self-hatred
      sometimes seems to never gets fixed in some people. It is a life sentence. Then,
      prayer is the only answer, but prayer can win a happy death, when no more activity
      or change is evident to us. The souls and God have their own timetable, their
      own relations which our eyes may not see, nor our ears hear.

      In any situation, but perhaps worse when the sufferer is one's spouse
      or parent or child, this bitterness is a terrible cross, for both the
      sufferer and those around her. It might seem cold comfort to say that
      it can make all involved saints, but it truly is not cold comfort at
      all. Being saints is the only thing, ultimately, that matters. I hope
      by now some of my crosses of the past are praying for me, protecting
      me, by their prayers, from what once ailed them!

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for a Mom worried about two of her children falling away
        from their Faith. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. Nancy
        Jean, who went to God after a battle with cancer, and for her family and all who
        mourn her. Prayers for God's will in a special intention matter. Continued
        prayers for baby Ethan, that a transplant donor be found, if God wills it.

[...]

        lives those bitter souls had and how wrong I was in my assessment!

        When I was much younger and living with those embittered monks, it
        was hard to look at them with much pity or calm, because I saw them as
        simply hateful or mean. It isn't so hard now, thank God. Both were disturbed

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2008
          +PAX

          George, for whom we prayed, has died, so prayers for his happy death, ternal rest and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical well-being of the following and for all who take care of them:

          John, rushed to hospital with a
          pacemaker malfunction.

          Lainie, an abusive work situation with a lot of injustice.

          Chuck had a 10 foot fall from a ladder on to concrete this morning. Lay there a long time before found. Facial fractures, arm, wrist, fear of brain injury. Rhonda is his wife, beside herself with worry.

          Bill, mesothelioma, his CT scan shows that his
          remission is over and the cancer is on the move again. He and his wife
          Peggy have to decide what course of action to take.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2016
            +PAX

            HUGE Deo gratias for us at Petersham, three great joys: Sr. Maria Isabel
            made her First profession today and Sisters Mary Paula and Mary Emmanuel are
            home again with us at last. Prayers for us all, and especially our three
            Sisters. Prayers for safe travels home for Sr. Maria Isabel's family, for
            continued healing and recovery for Sr. Mary Paula, and for Sr. M. Emmanuel's
            Dad and sister and family, and for her Mom's eternal rest.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Emmett, 20, who died of a heroin overdose,
            and for his stunned parents and family and all who mourn him.

            Edmond D's cataract surgery, for the success of which prayers were
            requested, could not take place as scheduled because the wrong lens was
            supplied to the surgeon and only discovered just before the procedure.
            Prayers, please, that this can be rescheduled as soon as possible while all
            his students are on break, so that he does not lose what little income he
            makes teaching music privately.

            Prayers for Eric-- age 30, finally willing to admit to his 10 year addiction
            to alcohol and drugs. He was just admitted to the hospital and from there
            will go into rehab. His elder brother, Edward, has been storming heaven for
            Eric's acknowledgement of his problem and for his conversion, as well as the
            conversion of his entire family.

            Prayers for Shannon, who was just diagnosed with breast cancer, and will
            undergo a lumpectomy on Wednesday, and then a round of radiation therapy.

            Prayers that Maria N, who just announced her engagement to a divorced
            non-Catholic, will seek marriage in the Church-- she has claimed until now
            to be a practicing Catholic, but was silent about her wedding plans when
            sharing the tidings with her parents. Prayers that she actually does marry
            in the Church.

            Prayers for Kerrie, who an appointment with Hematology/Oncology for the 13th
            in the afternoon. Praying for God's will.

            Prayers for Joy W., who has kidney cancer which has spread to her bones,
            legs and skull. She has borne all this bravely at age 77 on her own and now
            feels she wishes for God to take her home swiftly. Please pray she has a
            pain free and happy death and know she is loved.

            Prayers for Lucy, who is in intensive care after sustaining severe head
            injuries falling off her cycle. She has brain damage, mainly to her eyes,
            but is able to move a little. There is hope but it will be six months before
            they know the full extent of the damage.

[...]

            every state in life. It is the well-ordered, balanced and holy use
            of sexuality.) Even less wonder that, to call Scripture in to witness
            here, "the greatest of these is love." As Merton wrote, "Love is the Rule."

            The beauty here is so great that we often do not spend enough time
            looking at its converse: "the evil zeal of bitterness." What a great
            turn of phrase! Like many of us, St. Benedict seems to have known
            some whose bitterness turned into an energetic zeal, a way of life, a
            broken power line in a windy world that could strike others or
            themselves without warning.

            And "zeal" is precisely the word! People can put such frighteningly
            zealous levels of effort into self-loathing bitterness. It becomes a
            full-time job, one which requires so much energy that it's a marvel
            that they continue. Bitter anger, self-hatred, unforgiving ill-will
            towards many, these are viciously involuted cycles. They turn
            on the self, malignantly. They injure and alienate others to make
            one's twisted world view remain correct. They never rest, the fist is
            always clenched, the hand never open.

            While all things are possible with God, the terrible thing is that this
            self-hatred sometimes seems to never gets fixed in some people. It is a life
            sentence. Then, prayer is the only answer, but prayer can still win a happy
            death,
            when no more activity or change is evident to us. The souls and God have
            their own
            timetable, their own relations which our eyes may not see, nor our ears
            hear.

            In any situation, but perhaps worse when the sufferer is one's spouse
            or parent or child, this bitterness is a terrible cross, for both the
            sufferer and those around her. It might seem cold comfort to say that
            it can make all involved saints, but it truly is not cold comfort at
            all. Being saints is the only thing, ultimately, that matters. I hope
            by now some of my crosses of the past are praying for me in heaven,

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29

              +PAX

              Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias that all were safe during the Pope’s trip to Egypt.

              Prayers to the Holy Spirit for Benet Hill Monastery, Colorado Springs, they are electing a new Prioress.

              Prayers for Barbara P., she has Crohn’s disease.

              Prayers for John P.’s mum, 85, going downhill with dementia that has taken a turn for the worse.

              Prayers for John, undergoing surgery for colon cancer this Monday, 5/1, that the surgery be successful and any future cancer treatments arrest further spread of the disease.

              Prayers for Fr. Dunstan’s brother-in-law, Mike, recovering from surgery, and for Georgiana, Fr.’s sister, and for all their family.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Katie, who died in drug rehab, and for her mother, Bonnie and all their family and for all who mourn her.

              Prayers for Alan, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for Daniel, that an argument at work will not grow into anything worse, that apologies will be accepted.

              Urgent healing prayers please for Kent, who has autism spectrum disorder, bipolar disorder, and uncontrolled diabetes. The family has been supporting him because he cannot hold down a job. They are afraid that he will die for lack of care because he already shows signs of ketoacidosis.