Holy Rule for Apr. 25

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006

      Prayers for Pluscarden Abbey's Fr. Mark on his patronal feast, and for all our Marks!

      Prayers for Brie, in her 20's, her blood pressure is high, possibly the sort that spikes anytime one is in a doctors' office, but they are testing to be sure, also for her parents, Bev and Cas (on whose anniversary we recently prayed in Deo gratias!) and for the doctors who treat Brie and all of us. Prayers for Noel, blood pressure and diabetes, also financial and real estate problems, seeking to get one son in school and to help another son find work. Prayers for them all. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of John, and for all who mourn him.

      Prayers for Peter, Kahler's disease ( multiple myeloma,) apparently treated successfully a few years back, now he fears a recurrence. Scan today to better assess is condition. Prayers for Ted, prostate cancer and having chemotherapy, also for Kellen, 8, to receive a kidney transplant with his father being the donor this Wednesday. The little boy and his family have been through so much and pray this this operations will be successful and safe for both Kellen and his Dad. How wonderful parental love can be! Yet God's love for us all is even more wondrous than that!

      Special prayers for Katie, Darren, and their 3 month old daughter, Chloe. They had been told they could not have children and Chloe was conceived after prayers to Pope John Paul II, right after his death. During labor and delivery, Katie broke her tail bone and ruptured a few discs in her spine. She is now in a lot of pain and has post-partum depression, too. Ardent prayers for them all!
      Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      April 25, August 25, December 25
      Chapter 67: On Brethren Who Are Sent on a Journey

      Let the brethren who are sent on a journey
      commend themselves
      to the prayers of all the brethren and of the Abbot;
      and always at the last prayer of the Work of God
      let a commemoration be made of all absent brethren.

      When brethren return from a journey,
      at the end of each canonical Hour of the Work of God
      on the day they return,
      let them lie prostrate on the floor of the oratory
      and beg the prayers of all
      on account of any faults
      that may have surprised them on the road,
      through the seeing or hearing of something evil,
      or through idle talk.
      And let no one presume to tell another
      whatever he may have seen or heard outside of the monastery,
      because this causes very great harm.
      But if anyone presumes to do so,
      let him undergo the punishment of the Rule.
      And let him be punished likewise who would presume
      to leave the enclosure of the monastery
      and go anywhere or do anything, however small,
      without an order from the Abbot.

      REFLECTION

      Lay people, in St. Benedict's time and for centuries afterward, were
      more cloistered in the sense of media isolation than most religious
      are today, especially so in rural areas. We have to put ourselves
      into their perspective to see what St. Benedict is saying here. There
      was no postal service, let alone electronic media of any sort.
      Couriers and outriders, official or self-appointed were the only
      sources of news. Gossip and hearsay were the only news media
      available to most. It was, in comparison to our own day, a rather
      cloistered world.

      Today's active Benedictine educator or health care provider or parish
      minister could ill afford being so out of touch, much less Oblates in
      the world with jobs and families. Still, it is important to see that
      St. Benedict stressed this value as strongly as he did and try to
      find out why he did so.

      Fast forward to a Benedictine value we haven't mentioned much lately,
      but a central one: purity of heart. Purity of heart is the focused,
      singular monastic way of searching for God, of the spiritual
      struggle. Purity of heart, as Kierkegaard said, really IS to will one
      thing. For the Benedictine, that one thing is God, union with God.

      A very old monastic principle, one more alive in the East today than in
      the West, held that whatever did not help one in the monastic quest
      was actually harmful. Under that theory, there was no middle ground
      of neutrality. It helped you become a better monastic or it didn't.
      If it didn't, it wasn't considered extraneous, it was considered
      harmful, even evil. Since St. Benedict doesn't say that things heard
      from outside "can" cause great harm, but rather that they flat out do
      cause it, it may be to this earlier concept that he refers.

      We live in a world so flooded with media, with input, that it would astound
      a person of St. Benedict's time, even one with no taste for monastic life!
      Let us frankly face the fact, beloveds, that ALL of that information is not even
      good, let alone useful. We are so immersed in the barrage that we have
      often become indiscriminate, indifferent to it. We must develop and
      hone and reclaim that skill to sift and avoid the useless or harmful.
      We must be mindful and examine the amount and genuine worth of media
      exposure we allow ourselves. The sky is not the limit here.

      Our lives and vocations are so varied and our differences are so
      wide, but our quest is the same. Somehow, each of us, in every
      milieu, has to find a way to carve out a little bit of that isolation
      for ourselves. I love Ann McPhillips' phrase: "gatekeepers of our
      hearts." Face it, we live in an age where we can easily be in touch
      with virtually everything and that is not always good for us.

      It's about focus, it's about the times in one's life that one must
      carve out for oneself, times in which "only one thing is needful."
      When a cacophony of things become needful, purity of heart is drowned
      out. Maybe we have noisy families or lives, maybe we honestly cannot
      get the respite we seek. That's when we have to really struggle to
      build it in our hearts, to find God, as Teresa of Avila did, among
      the pots and pans.

      Our hearts may, in truth, be the only monasteries we have, the only
      gates we shall ever keep, but that does not matter. God knew from all
      eternity exactly the environments and times in which we would have to
      seek Him and He tailor-made them for us, even though in the midst of them,
      that may be hard to see at the time. He knows what He is about. We
      need to build that "one thing needful" as a place within us. For many
      of us, that will be the only desert to which we can ever fly.

      One last pointer for the news you DO watch or listen to or read: do so
      with prayer, make it lead to prayer. We have become more or less
      immune to horrible tragedy unfolding before us. Lose that immunity. Saying
      "Tsk, tsk..." helps no one. Say a prayer, say lots of prayers for those whose
      horror becomes the grist of news mills.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2007

        Prayers for Father Mark of Pluscarden on his feastday, graces and blessings
        and ad multos annos!
        Rose, for whom we prayed, has gone to God. Prayers for her happy death and
        eternal rest, for her daughter and all their family.

        Prayers for Ada, in ICU with pulmonary problems. Prayers for Michael, 46,
        father of three, stage four throat cancer, beginning very aggressive treatment.
        Otherwise in good health, his chances are good if he can survive the therapy.
        Joan, for whom we prayed in her series of strokes, has gone to God. Prayers
        for her happy death and eternal rest and for her husband, Pete, her brother,
        Fr. Tom, and all who mourn her. Prayers for Charyl's mother, congestive heart
        failure and lung cancer, given about 2 months to live, for her happy death
        and for acceptance of her imminent passing by Charyl and all her family. Lord,
        help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008

          Prayers for Father Mark of Pluscarden on his feastday, graces and blessings
          and ad multos annos!

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Mrs. Falkow, and for all who mourn her.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all who love them and all who take care of them:

          Ann, performance evaluation this week at work and now a fibromyalgia flare-up, difficulties with work situation, too.

          Jessie, Stephen and their baby, due Dec. 19th, all especially needing prayers.

          Mary, 70's, hip replacement needed, but extensive foot surgery necessay before the hip can be done.

          Karen, recovering from pnemonia and bronchitis.

          Scott, diabetic, heart attack, triple bypass and neuropathy.

          Phil, heart failure and fluid in his lungs, only mid 50's, but overweight and a risk factor.

          Barb, Phil's boss, who badly needs his assistance at work and is having a tough time without him, also for her dog, who fell and broke his leg.