Holy Rule for Mar. 27

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. Mary Frances' Dad, Morgan, who died last night with his family surrounding him and for Sister Mary Frances, for her Mom, all their family.

      Prayers, please, for Donna, chronic headaches for many years, not responding to any treatment, for her doctors and for her Mom, Anneke. May God give Donna comfort and strength, and the grace to offer her difficult pain for others. Prayers for Ed, congestive heart failure, on hospice care, for Lucy, his wife and for all their family. Prayers for Raymond, quite ill, and for his wife, Sarah, daughter Mary and all their family, that they may face his illness together with grace. Prayers for DomJohn, home from his surgery and recovering nicely, Deo gratias!

      Prayers for J., multiple serious stresses, and for his girlfriend, who was raped recently. That and his work situation is driving him very close to a breakdown. Serious prayers for him. Jude, for whom we prayed, is recovering nicely from her hysterectomy, Deo gratias! Sandra, for whom we prayed, is back to her old self and looking forward to the possibility of less stressful employment in the near future, again, thanks be to God, the Source of our every good.

      Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 27, July 27, November 26
      Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

      The indicating of the hour for the Work of God
      by day and by night
      shall devolve upon the Abbot
      either to give the signal himself
      or to assign this duty to such a careful brother
      that everything will take place at the proper hours.

      Let the Psalms and the antiphons be intoned
      by those who are appointed for it,
      in their order after the Abbot.
      And no one shall presume to sing or read
      unless he can fulfill that office
      in such a way as to edify the hearers.
      Let this function be performed
      with humility, gravity and reverence,
      and by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

      REFLECTION

      A quickie here that applies to all, in monastery or out. It sometimes
      happens that we desire a job we ought not to have. It sometimes
      happens that we get a job that is too much for us and realize that in
      the midst of things. These are times for the great truthfulness of
      humility, to either stop seeking the task in question or to frankly
      admit that we cannot do it as it should be done.

      Such honesty is hard, to be sure. Our hearts get in the way. We are
      attached to things which are in themselves good, but which would not
      be good for us. Not everyone would make a great parent, but there are
      plenty of people who want to be badly, whether in fact they would be
      good at it or not! Whoops! Tough on the kid there! There are also
      people who would be superb parents who cannot be, yet another
      thing to be accepted truthfully.

      Anyone who has ever seen karaoke or open mike night or a piano bar
      knows that MANY who would love to be cabaret singers are far from
      that! What are hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
      most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
      spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

      A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
      self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
      we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
      is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
      absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
      the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
      likely dead by February! See what I mean?

      Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
      is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
      useless. Unite your pains to those of Christ and His Mystical Body,
      to those of His Passion that all of us help bear throughout the rest
      of time. Then the Father will see only His beloved Son when He looks
      at us. Then the world will be somehow better and helped by our
      suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted with God and His
      Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

      A very significant postscript to all this: it is ourselves we should be
      looking at. Rarely, if ever, should we feel called upon to deliver such a
      message of being out of place to another. There are superiors and
      bosses for that in most instances, and self-appointed arbiters of
      anything at all are quite frequently a pitiable lot, spiritually speaking.

      Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2007

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of LouAnn, of Monastic Life
        list, who has gone to God. Prayers, too, for her Husband, Ken, her sister Amanda
        and all their family, and all who mourn her.

        Continued prayers for Bailey, the child for whom we prayed, she remains in
        the hospital till Wednesday and cultures have still not come back. Prayers,
        please, for Fr. Mike Straley, entering St. Andrew's Abbey to try his vocation as
        a monk, prayers for the perfect will of God for him and for his parish, as
        they await a new pastor. Prayers, please, for Larry who is still looking for a
        job, and for Terry, who is had a tumor removed near her kidney yesterday.
        Prayers for Carol and her cat, Smokey, who hasn't been well. In this time of
        toxic pet food recalls, all pet lovers will know how anxious she must be,
        extra prayers to St Francis!

        Prayers for Cindy and Jim, both are facing imminent death from cancers that
        have spread quickly, for their happy deaths and eternal rest and for all their
        families and friends who will mourn them. Prayers for the professionals
        treating them and all our prayer folks: may God guide their hands and hearts and
        reward them richly! Prayers for Georgina, diagnosed with viral meningitis,
        but no improvement, having her fourth spinal tap and these come with some risks
        of their own, to say nothing of the pain. Lord, help us all as You know and
[...]

        that! What our hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
        most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
        spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

        A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
        self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
        we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
        is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
        absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
        the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
        likely all dead by February! See what I mean?

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Tim, who died of prostate cancer, for all his family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Eva, slipping closer to comatose, and for all her family, especially Dave.

          Prayers for Rob, who fell and broke both elbows and is in a lot pain.

          Prayers for Br. Clement Rees, a new novice at St. Leo Abbey, and for Br. Christopher Thomas, planning to make solemn vows on the Feast of St. Benedict. Deo gratias and multos annos to both! Lord, help us all as You know and