Holy Rule for Mar. 25

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 1931

      +PAX

      Prayers for Sr. Mary Angela, on her feastday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

      Prayers for Jane’s daughter, a college sophomore who is depressed and has been suicidal, prayers, too, for Jane and their family.

      Deo gratias, the Mom we prayed for had a beautiful ultrasound with no signs of the tumors she feared she might find.

      Prayers for Marjorie, whose mom, Reebecca,  is in the Philippines and dying from cancer. Prayers for her happy death and that Marjorie can get there in time to see her. Marjorie has not been home for 9 years.

      Prayers for Kathy, cardiac issues, and for her son, Josh.

      Prayers please for Ben & Sarah, struggling to keep a happy marriage. Prayers for grace to overcome anger and other negative behaviors. Prayers for their two young sons also.

      Prayers for the repose of the soul of Michael G., who died suddenly last night and for all his family and all who mourn him,

      Prayers for Annie M., who is ill.

       Continued prayers for the happy death of Ken S., in hospice care and his family and all who will mourn him.

      Prayers for Len S., who has many medical problems and his for family.

       Prayers for Trefor W.

      Prayers for John’s mum, Doreen C.

      Please pray for healing for Bill, who unexpectedly suffered heart issues and had open-heart surgery yesterday. Prayers, too, for his wife, Oblate Maureen, and for all their family.

      Please pray for a happy death for B.J., who is in hospice care now. Brain tumor. Not doing well.  No info on her religious affiliation. May God grant her peace when He calls her this world.

      Prayers please for the happy death and eternal repose of William Cardinal Keeler, and for his family and all who mourn him.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      March 25, July 25, November 24
      Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

      When anyone has made a mistake
      while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
      an antiphon or a lesson,
      if he does not humble himself there before all
      by making a satisfaction,
      let him undergo a greater punishment
      because he would not correct by humility
      what he did wrong through carelessness.

      But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

      REFLECTION

      Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
      experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
      days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there.

      As I mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center when
      late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our place. We also bow
      to the superior when late to table. We kneel when we make audible
      mistakes in Church. And yes, those things can be very useful.

      But most Oblates do not have a refectory or choir to kneel in, so
      what's here for the majority of us? The grace of humility, without
      which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
      home would be unlivable.

      Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
      share of strays, fumblers and crosses. Every one without fail
      will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. Our job
      is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part of the
      problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
      we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
      quickly as we can.

      If you can't say "I'm sorry.", start
      practicing alone in front of a mirror until the words can somehow
      tumble out in public. Until they can, try some useful (though not
      perfect,) substitutes, like "Forgive me," or "It was my fault." Work
      on words of forgiveness, too, like: "It doesn't matter," or "Oh,
      that's OK,".

      Strive to make light of things. There will never be any
      shortage whatever of people who will explode and magnify things out
      of all rational proportion, so don't duplicate services! Join the
      peaceful folks who try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than
      produce them.

      Most outrage, most lack of apology, most tempests in teacups stem
      from a distorted an unhealthy view of the self. Humility corrects
      that imbalance. While you're in front of the mirror practicing
      apology, why not try a bit of self-interview?

      Why do these things or persons upset you so? What do you have in
      common with those who annoy you most? Most important, just who are
      you that your perceived slights are such a big deal? Try reminding
      yourself that He is God and you are not. Honest reflection on these points
      may be a big and promising start.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 1932

        +PAX

        A blessed Triduum to all. May these three days of the Lord’s Passions, Death and Resurrection fill us all with grace!

        Prayers for our Sr. Mary Paula, back in the hospital. She had been in rehab, but had to go back to the hospital.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 1938
          I hit send by accident, here is the reading and reflection. JL

          Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
          best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
          JL

          March 25, July 25, November 24
          Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

          When anyone has made a mistake
          while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
          an antiphon or a lesson,
          if he does not humble himself there before all
          by making a satisfaction,
          let him undergo a greater punishment
          because he would not correct by humility
          what he did wrong through carelessness.

          But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

          REFLECTION

          Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
          experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
          days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there. We don't
          whip now, they did 1,500 years ago, everyone else did, too. Let's not get so
          mired in the sensitivities of our own time that we forget how terribly recent
          some of them are. (Just try to breathe normally... paramedics will be here
          any minute now. Maybe we can get that dosage adjusted and you won't
          have these terrible fugues anymore, hmmm? LOL!)

          As I mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center when
          late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our place. We also bow
          to the superior when late to table. We kneel when we make audible
          mistakes in Church. And yes, those things can be very useful.

          But most Oblates do not have a refectory or choir to kneel in, so
          what's here for the majority of us? The grace of humility, without
          which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
          home would be unlivable. Check out some of the lyrics of Shaker
          hymns, other than the famous "'Tis a Gift to Be Simple." They feature
          LOADS of messages about getting along with others. One speaks of
          not being stubborn like the oak, but of being like the willow who can bend!

[...]

          minority and try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 22, 1940
            +PAX

            Prayers please for David, who died suddenly last week.
            Prayers for his happy death and eternal rest and for his family going thru this difficult
            time.

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of J. S.

[...]

            If you can't say "I'm sorry.", for God's sake- quite literally- start

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 1941
              +PAX

              Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Shannon Marie, for
              her Mom, for all her family, and for all who mourn her. Prayers for Katelyn, a
              5 year old girl and her Dad. She has lost her mother and her twin sister
              and is suffering now with the cancer that her twin died from. Prayers for
              Linda, 60, she has an abdominal mass which has spread to her liver and kidney and
              might also involve her upper stomach. She is having a biopsy on April 3rd.
              Prayers for Merilyne and Andrew, they had problems conceiving before the
              birth of their son, Caleb. Merilyne is once again pregnant but is having
              worrying problems at eight weeks, they are a Christain family and are praying and
              trying to keep calm, but prayers are most welcome!

              Prayers for Catherine, a survivor of driving drunk, acknowledging the way
              that alcoholism has controlled her life, working on recovery one day at a time.
              Prayers for all those struggling with addiction and for all those treating
              and caring for them and for all our prayer folks. Prayers for all the newly
              confirmed at St. Bede's parish. Prayers for Jim, who died Mar. 23 from cancer,
              for his happy death and eternal rest, for his wife and for all his family and
              those who mourn him. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 1942
                +PAX

                A blessed Solemnity of the Annunciation to all! A thought to ponder: St. Bonaventure and the Franciscans taught that, even had Adam not fallen, even without original sin, Jesus still would have become Incarnate, purely out of love for humanity. Interesting perspective there!

                Prayers, please, for Mike and his Mom, Bev, she is in her 80's and suffering from a blood disease, though not leukemia, Deo gratias! Prayers for Pam, lingering pneumonia and now having to change doctors, also for Louise, 44, mother of a young family, who suffered a small stroke. Prayers for discernment for Allison, trying to find where God wants her in this life. Prayers for Greg and his Mom. He is seriously ill and diagnosis has so far been impossible. For his worried Mom and his doctors, and all the doctors who treat us. Prayers for Fr. Greg and his son, Ryan, who suffered several injuries in an accident. Prayers for newborn and soon to be baptized Eva, and her parents, Courtney and Don. Also for Savannah, about to be baptized and her Dad, David. Prayers for continued recovery of Bob and for his wife, Rosemary. For the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. M. Isaac Jogues, her great niece, Trish, and all their family who mourn her. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

                LOADS of messages about getting along without murder. One speaks of