Holy Rule for Mar. 24

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Ann, on her birthday. Blessings and graces ad multos annos!! Prayers for Michael, who made a difficult decision to retire early and is facing an altogether new ( and slightly scary, because so unfamiliar!) future. prayers for a troubled girls' high school in New York and for its principal. Prayers for Gary, a life sentence prisoner who rehabilitated himself through art and now has been moved to a place where his artwork is denied him, a crushing and serious loss. He is seeking a transfer and, if God wills, he will get back to the art that healed him. Prayers for Kaye and all her family.

      Prayers for Phil, Alzheimer's disease, now on a morphine drip and awaiting death. He has received the Anointing of the Sick and is hopefully approaching a serene and happy death. May God receive him right into His All-Merciful arms! Prayers, too, for his three sons and their families and all who will mourn him. Sr. Eileen did require surgery after all, but it went well and she is recovering in ICU, continued prayers, please.

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Rachel, home from her craniotomy and doing well, continued prayers for her health and recovery. Barb, leukemia, for whom we prayed, had clear scans and will not need a third round of chemo. Prayers for her continued remission and thanksgiving for her progress. Prayers for Tom, whose epidural went well yesterday, now prayers for its effectiveness.

      A singularly great Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Pete, about whose vascular, circulatory and pending leg amputation problems we have prayed. There was a lot more detail that I did not pass on, but his prognosis was so frightening and possible death from gangrene, possible organ failure, a host of serious complications. Pete died yesterday morning, quickly, quietly, while his beloved wife, Betsy, was at his side, feeding him ice cream. He had made the tough decision to have his leg amputated two hours before. There is no way to tell you all that God's mercy spared Pete and Betsy by this quiet end. May his death be a happy one, his repose eternal, and Betsy and all who mourn him be comforted by faith in their grief. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise HIm! Thanks so much. JL

      March 24, July 24, November 23
      Chapter 44: How the Excommunicated Are to Make Satisfaction

      One who for serious faults is excommunicated
      from oratory and table
      shall make satisfaction as follows.
      At the hour when the celebration of the Work of God is concluded
      in the oratory,
      let her lie prostrate before the door of the oratory,
      saying nothing, but only lying prone with her face to the ground
      at the feet of all as they come out of the oratory.
      And let her continue to do this
      until the Abbess judges that satisfaction has been made.
      Then, when she has come at the Abbess's bidding,
      let her cast herself first at the Abbess's feet
      and then at the feet of all,
      that they may pray for her.

      And next, if the Abbess so orders,
      let her be received into the choir,
      to the place which the Abbess appoints,
      but with the provision that she shall not presume
      to intone Psalm or lesson or anything else in the oratory
      without a further order from the Abbess.

      Moreover, at every Hour,
      when the Work of God is ended,
      let her cast herself on the ground in the place where she stands.
      And let her continue to satisfy in this way
      until the Abbess again orders her finally to cease
      from this satisfaction.

      But those who for slight faults are excommunicated
      only from table
      shall make satisfaction in the oratory,
      and continue in it till an order from the Abbess,
      until she blesses them and says, "It is enough."

      REFLECTION

      No matter how we came by it, one nasty little of baggage that a lot
      of us carry is the inability to say: "It is enough." For some of us,
      forgiving ourselves or believing we have been forgiven or even
      sensing that we have made all the reparation possible or necessary is
      all but completely impossible. (Any other obsessive/compulsive disorders
      out there reading this? Welcome to the club, I pray for us all daily!)

      There is great blessing for such people to have an Abbot. Even there,
      tremendous trust and obedience are required, because the Evil One
      would very much prefer that our upset and lack of faith continue! An
      Abbot can put and end to many matters, if only we allow that to
      happen. Abbots can offer resolution to many situations and the Holy
      Rule confirms them in this power again and again. The buck really
      stops there!

      If we let it stop there.... That can be so hard. However, even though
      most of us reading this do NOT live with Abbots, we all live with
      God, with Christ. He and He alone is in charge of our forgiveness, of
      the extent of our reparation or penance. He knows all too well the
      extremes of self-damage we can go to without His intervention and He
      does intervene, if only we have the faith to allow Him, to listen, trust and
      believe. We all ought to seek regular confessors who can also help
      us in this regard. Either confessor or Abbot can set many, many cares
      to rest!

      I am finding lately, much to the relief of my obsessive/compulsive
      heart and soul, that I really can achieve vastly greater amounts of
      inner serenity and peace by putting an affair in my superior's hands
      and accepting his judgement. There is the key to the value of this:
      inner peace and serenity. We badly need those aids to spiritual growth.
      Anything which increases their strength is a chance we ought never to
      miss!

      The Divine Mercy of God is His greatest attribute, linked inseparably
      to His love. We could never for an instant imagine the full extent of
      that Mercy's grandeur. We do Christ a terrible disservice and
      discourtesy when we refuse to believe that His riches are for us,
      that only others can be forgiven, but we must struggle on and "save
      ourselves" with Pelagian bootstraps firmly in hand! What a sneaky
      inverse pride there is in such feelings: I am so special (even so
      specially wicked!) that I cannot be like the rest of them!

      Mercy, mercy and always mercy! If you do not have a superior to live
      with, please learn to accept that mercy from God. If you do have a
      superior, learn to accept God's mercy through that channel. If you
      *ARE* a superior or parent or teacher, strive to be that channel.
      Mercy, mercy, always mercy!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2007

        Prayers for Ann, on her birthday: blessings and many years, ad multos annos!

        Prayers, please, for Liz, she is having premature labor (9 weeks too early)
        and this is the furthest she has gotten through any pregnancy. Casey, 17, for
        whose head injury we prayed, has died. Prayers for his happy death and
        eternal rest and for all his broken-hearted family. Prayers for Janice, 55,
        pancreatic cancer, terminal, for her happy death. She was taken of the respirator
        today and is breathing on her own. The doctors don't know how long it will
        last. Please pray that she has a little time to be with her children before God
        calls her home to be with Him. Her husband died tragically last year and the
        family is shattered that they're losing Janice, too. Prayers for them all,
        please. Prayers for J. and her sister, for their conversion from Wicca and
        return to Christ.

        Prayers for all the members of the Oblateforum list, some rather heated
        messages have been passing there. Prayers, please, for Shirley, rotator cuff
        surgery after Easter and she is now trying to arrange care while she is
        recuperating for her beloved cat, Simon. Prayers that God give His best solutions to
        Simon and to Shirley! Prayers for Ann, for God's perfect will in a job
        offering she has. Prayers, for T., addiction problems, and for the whole family.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2008

          Prayers for the happy death of an ex-monk away from the Church for 40 years, now severely ill with lung cancer, probably nearing death.

          Prayers for the happy death of Eva, declining rapidly, and for her son Dave, and all their family.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat them:

          Diane who is battling severe cancer.

          Elaine and Craig, very ill with the flu, and that their daughter doesn't catch it, also fro Elaine's Dad, Alzheimer's, who blew up and created a terrible family disturbance, fpr all who suffer with him.

          Carmen who is in the hospital with bad intestinal problems.

          Matthew, 15, possible Lupus, and for Katrina, his Mom, his Dad and all their family.

          Barbara recovering from a operation.

          Connie dealing with agoraphobia and depression.

          Trevor a 16 year old boy who died due to complication he has had since birth, for his happy death and for his family especially his sister who is having problems dealing with her brother's death.

          All Priests and Deacons and other ministers who are helping us in celebrating this Easter celebration.

          For Ann, on her birthday.

          For the happy death and eternal rest of Jeremiah, who died peacefully this morning at the home of his daughter. Prayers for his son, Dennis, his wife, Margaret, and daughters Jackie and Gina.

          http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/