Holy Rule for Mar. 19

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Robert, Sr. Lany Jo's Dad, who died Friday evening. For his happy death and eternal rest and for all his family. Special prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, as this has been a long and draining time for her. FL requires a 7 day waiting period before cremation, so she will not be able to stay down there for the interment of ashes, but they are having a memorial Mass on Tuesday, the feast of St. Benedict, so special prayers for them all that our holy Father Benedict will look out for them and that he was there to grant Robert a happy death. Just before Robert's death, the family received word that his 20 yr. old grandson, Jameson, was wounded in Iraq, one leg broken and the other riddled with shrapnel, so prayers for him and his recovery. Alas, this does not mean he's coming home: the Army apparently plans to put him back in the field when recovered.

      Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for Anastasia, the psychiatrically troubled teen for whom we prayed. Her court date went well and she is starting a new job. Prayers, too, for her parents and her sibling, Kaitlin, in grad school and Mark, who worries his parents with plans to join the Marines after high school. Prayers for Fr. Romuald, taken to the hospital with breathing problems, and for a priest with follicular lymphoma. Continued prayers for Sr. Eileen, who developed a lung infection in CU and will need further surgery for that. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 19, July 19, November 18
      Chapter 40: On the Measure of Drink

      "Everyone has her own gift from God,
      one in this way and another in that" (1 Cor. 7:7).
      It is therefore with some misgiving
      that we regulate the measure of others' sustenance.
      Nevertheless, keeping in view the needs of the weak,
      we believe that a hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each.
      But those to whom God gives the strength to abstain
      should know that they will receive a special reward.

      If the circumstances of the place,
      or the work
      or the heat of summer
      require a greater measure,
      the superior shall use her judgment in the matter,
      taking care always
      that there be no occasion for surfeit or drunkenness.
      We read
      it is true,
      that wine is by no means a drink for monastics;
      but since the monastics of our day cannot be persuaded of this
      let us at least agree to drink sparingly and not to satiety,
      because "wine makes even the wise fall away" (Eccles. 19:2).

      But where the circumstances of the place are such
      that not even the measure prescribed above can be supplied,
      but much less or none at all,
      let those who live there bless God and not murmur.
      Above all things do we give this admonition,
      that they abstain from murmuring.

      REFLECTION

      Two things stand out here: the gentleness of St. Benedict and the
      necessity of praising God in every circumstance.

      St. Benedict admits he is hesitant to set forth a principle of how
      much others he will never know might need for their sustenance. He
      may not have seen just how many other people and lands and times he
      was writing for, but he did see enough to be uneasy. This is not the
      voice or tone of a relentless dictator whose undue hunger for control
      finds his finger in every pie. This is a father who knows an
      important fact: father may very well NOT always know best! Gentleness
      and humility are two of the finest gems in any crown of authority.

      Every bit as important, but hidden and even lost amidst worries about
      how much a hemina is in metric, is the wonderful injunction that
      those who lack must praise. However much we have of any good thing,
      it is from God, not ourselves. How little we have may very well have
      nothing to do with God at all.

      Even if it does, even if He wills straitened times and tightened belts for
      our good and growth, we must bless Him and not murmur or gripe. I can
      assure you that, if I had all I wanted at earlier periods in my life, there is
      very little chance I would be a monk and no chance at all that I would be
      the person I am today. God used all those "lacks" as riches, as tools of most
      exquisite precision. He knew what He was doing, I did not!

      Look back at the Instruments of Good Works in Chapter 4 and the Steps
      of Humility in Chapter 7 and you will find in both a statement of
      this same principle. The monastic is not to complain or murmur, but
      to be happy- even thankful!- for whatever is received. That gratitude
      and joy is essential because everything that is received is a gift
      from God. Everything. Realizing that is a tremendously important
      piece of the puzzle in our monastic searching and striving.

      As Christians and monastics, we have to check murmuring in ourselves,
      but in others as well. Few like to do the latter, since issues of
      human respect come into play and nobody wants to be thought THAT much
      of a goody-goody. With skill and timing, however, one can learn to
      stop murmuring, to sway the topic, to correct the offender without
      making them feel like slime.

      Sometimes it can be as simple as a gentle and cheerful assumption of
      the opposite position. And there is always the old standby, said
      kindly, with a shrug: "Oh, I don't know..." That's the whole secret of fraternal
      correction: it cannot make the other feel less than they are, nor can
      it make the one offering it proud! Corrections without love, in which
      our own self-interests are entangled, our own agendas foremost,
      usually should not be given.

      The Desert Fathers taught that no fraternal correction should be given unless
      we were sure selfish motive was not involved, not a bad idea at all! There are
      surely cases or real spiritual peril, of grace sin in which corrections must be given.
      Even then, there are time when we are not the ones who should do so. Perhaps
      we can arrange for another who may be better heard to do so, but there are times
      when we would not only not be heard, but may even provoke an obstinate
      persistence in the other person.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2007

        A blessed Solemnity of St. Joseph to all. Special prayers for Sr. Mary
        Joseph, on her feast day, and for all our Josephs! Graces and blessings galore!
        Prayers for St. Joseph's Hospital and all their patients and staff, and for
        our Trappist brothers at St. Joseph's Abbey, Spencer, Massachusetts.

        Prayers for Fr. Brendan, having a two-day cardiac stress test this week and
        apprehensive about the outcome. Prayers for Neil, just sent over to the Middle
        East. He is a medic and currently awaiting deployment to Iraq, for his
        safety and his family. Prayers for all troops and civilians in harm's way in war
        zones. Please`remember every day to pray for the happy death of so many in
        those war zones whom death snatches away in an instant. Our prayers can fill
        their last moments with grace and help them embrace eternal life and the Divine
        Mercy offered them. Prayers for all the families mourning losses in the war,
        too.

        Prayers for Norman, elderly, congestive heart failure, also for Eddy and
        Tom, both recovering from bypass surgery. Prayers for Ann, having a stent put in
        later this week and very stressed about it. Prayers for her serenity: calm
        patients heal faster! Prayers for David, during his last few months before
        diaconal ordination. Prayers, too, for Sr. Virginia Marie, a elderly nun, who
        has had difficulty with high blood pressure in spite of taking large doses of
        medication to bring it down. She has also had some bleeding and she may have
        to have surgery that may be potential life threatening if her blood pressure
        doesn’t come down. Prayers for an unknown person who threw an empty beer
        bottle through the back window of a car, belonging to Fr. Leo while he was in NY
        on church business.

        Prayers for Peter, who went the extra mile to do something wonderful for his
        wife, Ann, and for Ann, who is so grateful! Prayers for many pet owners,
        worried by a food recall in the US after several cats have died from the foods
        involved. Prayers for one owner, in particular, who is mourning the loss of her
        cat, apparently to this tainted food, she is also nursing her husband, who
        has Alzheimer's, so this is very hard for her. Lord, help us all as You know

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2008

          Prayers for Jim, brand new Oblate novice!

          Deo Gratias! Lori for whom we prayerd has recovered completely. A miracle. Power of prayer. Family said thanks for all the prayers. Lori will be checking out tomorrow. Liver looks outstanding-it's a mystery.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and those who treat them:

          Continued prayers for Philip, stroke, making some slow progress.

          Rick, who is at a crossroads in his life and is trying to discern what it is God wants him to do with his life.
          Brooke 12 year old girl who is undergoing test for a leg muscle problem could be serious.

          Jacob a young boy born without a complete digestive tract is having problems and for his family.

          Bill who is recovering from heart surgery.

          For all those celebrating the up coming Holy Week.

          Those making their final oblation this April at BOOC.

          A very personal special intention. Lord, help us all as You know

          http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/