Holy Rule for Mar. 13

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Rachel, recovering from her craniotomy and no details on her condition yet. Continued prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, her Dad and family. Jesse, for whom we prayed, lost in the Alaskan wilderness, has not been found and the search is called off. The hope to locate her body in the Spring. Prayers for her happy death and eternal rest and for her husband, parents and children and all their family at this tragic time. Her family thanks all who prayed for her and them. Prayers for John-Michael, 15, serious kidney failure and apparently some bladder problems, too, for his family and his doctors, as well as for all our doctors and those who care for those for whom we pray.

      Prayers for Chad, a young disabled man with a serious family history of heart disease, having a pacemaker/defibrillator implant surgery. They have to actually stop his heart to test the device and restart it. Prayers for him, his worried Mom, Carol, and all their family. Prayers for Joan, whose daughter, Carson, has mysteriously stopped talking to her, for a resolution to this family problem, whatever it is. Prayers, too, for Alice, facing a very difficult mess at work and needing badly to make the right decisions, her job could rise or fall in this matter. Prayers for Lori and her very large dog, Jazzy, over 100 pounds, whom she is nursing after surgery with considerable difficulty. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Lou Ann, her surgery went well and no hysterectomy, her friend, James, is also recovering from a successful cyst removal. Deo gratias for both! Lou Ann also has a job interview on Tuesday to pray for.

      Prayers for Rob, recurrent melanoma affecting his left optic nerve, uncertain whether there is anything that can be done as yet., and for his wife and all his family. This family lost a granddaughter to cancer a while ago. Prayers for Pete, whom we prayed for when he had a partial foot amputation. Now there is poor circulation in his other leg below the knee; and prayers for his wife, Betsy. Both are elderly and home care will be a real problem if he loses his leg. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let the brethren serve one another,
      and let no one be excused from the kitchen service
      except by reason of sickness
      or occupation in some important work.
      For this service brings increase of reward and of charity.
      But let helpers be provided for the weak ones,
      that they may not be distressed by this work;
      and indeed let everyone have help,
      as required by the size of the community
      or the circumstances of the locality.
      If the community is a large one,
      the cellarer shall be excused from the kitchen service;
      and so also those whose occupations are of greater utility,
      as we said above.
      Let the rest serve one another in charity.

      The one who is ending his week of service
      shall do the cleaning on Saturday.
      He shall wash the towels
      with which the brethren wipe their hands and feet;
      and this server who is ending his week,
      aided by the one who is about to begin,
      shall wash the feet of all the brethren.
      He shall return the utensils of his office to the cellarer
      clean and in good condition,
      and the cellarer in turn shall consign them to the incoming server,
      in order that he may know
      what he gives out and what he receives back.

      REFLECTION

      I know some houses have moved away from having table waiters, but
      something is lost in that. We have cafeteria style first portions
      here, then the waiter goes around to offer seconds and clears the
      dishes. It isn't a really big deal, but it does have a great reward,
      as the Holy Rule points out. Because we are a small community, only
      8, everyone, even the Superior takes a turn at waiting.

      Formerly, in some houses (maybe in all, but I am not sure,) the Abbot
      would wait tables on Holy Thursday. There was a nice connection
      there: he who held the place of Christ waited on all on the feast of
      the Last Supper, and washed the feet of twelve in Church that day.

      The connection here is personalist. Waiting on people connects you
      very much to them, as any waiter could tell you. Restaurants may not
      pursue that connection to any depth, but a home situation, like a
      monastery, surely does. There's a great notion here for Oblates who
      do not live alone: take turns waiting. We can get slumped into Dad or
      Mom or husband or wife always being waiter or waited upon. Switch
      off, care for each other, in this and many, many other ways!

      There are tons of ways of serving another, serving each other, that have
      nothing at all to do with tables or dining. There are many, many, equivalent
      forms of foot-washing. Hunt for them diligently and practice them with deep
      love!

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007

        Prayers, please, for Conner and his family, special circumstances, also for
        Will, who asked prayers for him. Prayers for Lisa, a soldier serving overseas
        and for her pen-pal, Sr. M. Joseph. Prayers for Kate, as she enters her Abbey
        to try her vocation this Friday, for the perfect will of God for her.
        Prayers for Minnie, facing a lot of challenges getting her health benefits she
        badly needs. Prayers for DJ, and for Peter, vocational discernment. Lord, help

        http://www.aol.com.