Holy Rule for Mar. 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Pauline, her serious skin rash has returned and still defies diagnosis, she can now take hardly any of her medicines, since they are being checked out as causes, and she is bravely suffering quite a lot. Prayers for Kathy and her family, a host of problems beset them just now, for God's will for them. Prayers, please, for vocations to Pluscarden and St. Mary's and to all our monasteries. Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for George, Fr. Brendan's Dad, for whom we prayed after his fall. His swelling has gone down and he is healing so nicely that it seems he won't need surgery after all. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much JL

      March 3, July 3, November 2
      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
      least passively. This united front should be far different from the
      human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
      reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by the
      concern born of great love.

      Common life can often leave one with a slew of relationships which
      are polite and civil, even cordial, but frankly no deeper than a lot
      of people at work have with each other. That's sad, but it does
      happen. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the necessary
      depth of love for all.

      Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
      of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
      are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for the good
      of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes the only way
      one can express that concern is prayer, but we must pray!

      Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate fear
      of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....? Maybe
      she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling her
      something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who really,
      truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of this.

      Some people who are terrible at a given job will not wake up to that
      fact in any other way. In some cases toxic folks must be told gently,
      but explicitly, that if they insist on continuing to harm themselves and
      others, they'll have to do it elsewhere, without destroying the rest of the
      family any longer.

      Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
      and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what most people in groups will
      do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the person
      out without a clue as to why.

      Punishment must be named and specific, the offender must know and
      those around her must care. It may in fact force a monk out, but he
      will know why when he leaves. This is vastly different from the ordinary
      human means of exclusion and expulsion. It includes grace. It includes love.
      Lots of love! And its justice is always somehow wrapped in mercy.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
        +PAX

        Francis, whom we prayed for, who returned to the Sacraments after 60 years,
        died peacefully on Thursday morning at his home, prayers for his happy death
        and eternal rest. His son, Dave, thanks all for their prayers and asks prayers
        for his Dad, Mom and all their family. This is especially hard on his Mom,
        as she is in a rehab nursing facility and had only been able to see her
        husband once before his death. This was a truly miraculous conversion and we are
        blessed to have been a part of it!

        Prayers, please, for Marlene who is on chemo for cancer and in a great deal
        of pain. Also suffering major fear as she had breast cancer 10 years ago and
        there is a family history of breast and bone cancer. Prayers of thanks and
        continued prayers: Anastasia, for whom we prayed, showed up, then ran away
        again, then returned. Please`keep her and her family in your prayers. Deo gratias
        for the graces and help received! Prayers for Brendan and Basil, on a
        Theosis (God-filling!) Weekend retreat. Deo gratias, Jean, for whom we prayed, had
        her suspicious cells all removed from her face and is doing well; her husband
        Al promises that they are praying for us, too!

        Prayers for Fr. Pat, wonderful chaplain of Tyburn nuns in New Zealand, on
        his birthday. May God bless him and his ministry and all those he serves!

        Prayers for Joan, misdiagnosed at first, now she has actually had a stroke
        and has been transferred for treatment.HUGE Deo gratias for Gavin, the preemie
        baby we have been praying for. He is now over two pounds and his parents can
        at last hold him in their arms. Still a long way to go, so continued prayers,
        please. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

        http://www.aol.com.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2016

          +PAX

          Continued prayers for the recovery of our Sr. Mary Paula, still in ICU and very ill.

          Please pray that Julie’s 3-year-old son's follow-up tests show that he does not have lead poisoning.

          Prayers that Daniel finds some important papers he misplaced and for his ear infection.

          Prayers for John James, special intention.

          Prayers, please, for Jacob, Abin and their Dad.

          Prayers for C., special intention.

          Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
          Excommunicated

          If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
          associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
          with her, or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
          punishment of excommunication.

          REFLECTION

          When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
          least passively. This united front should be far different from the
          human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
          reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by
          the concern born of love. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the
          necessary depth of love for all.

          Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
          of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
          are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for
          the good of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes
          the only way one can express that concern is prayer, but we must
          pray!

          Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate
          fear of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....?
          Maybe she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling
          her something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who
          really, truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of
          this.

          Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
          and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what many people in groups

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2

            +PAX

            Prayers for all Law Enforcement Officers, who put their lives on the line every day, Special prayers for those who have lost their lives on duty and for their families and all who mourn them.

            Prayers for Dana, having surgery for a brain tumor, he also suffers from depression. Prayers, too, for his Mom, Patty, and all his family. Prayers that God will guide the surgeon’s hands.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Henry Bryan Hayes, OSB, 96, of St. John’s Abbey, Collegeville, Minnesota, and for his family, Community, and all who mourn him.

            Prayers for Adele, 96, in the hospital with a broken arm and broken hip, and for Tony and Corrine and all her family.

            Prayers for safe travels for Tim and a group of students he is leading on their trip to Rome. May there be graces for all!

            Prayers for Elizabeth’s 16 year old child, who may need to attend residential school, since anxiety and insomnia are making regular school terribly difficult.

            Prayers for Elizabeth’s mother-in-law, who has advanced ovarian cancer, and for her father-in-law, who is having struggles with being her caregiver. Prayers for all the family, near and far who want to help.

            Prayers for Marion, shoulder pain.

            Prayers for Bob, leg troubles.