Holy Rule for Feb. 27

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006

      There are a lot today, so if I forgot anyone, please let me know.

      Continued prayers for Jessie, still missing in Alaskan wilderness. A white-out storm has hampered relief efforts. She did have some winter gear, so there is still hope. Prayers for all her family, the searchers and all who are trying to help.

      Prayers for Brad, 30's, lesion on his lung could be life-threatening, also has a kidney stone. His family lost their other son some time ago, so he is now their only child. Prayers for all his family and friends and for the doctors trying to help.

      Six very courageous folks have come forward with requests for prayers for their sexual temptations or addictions. I will always preserve the complete anonymity of such persons, but God knows well for whom we are praying. Strength and grace growth for all!! I will post initials, but they will be randomly chosen, neither the first initial nor the last of the individuals. For N, A, T, O, R and S.

      Prayers for Pam and for her sister, who is depressed, doubting her own abilities and doubting God, prayers for Shirley, recurrent bladder cancer, and for Fr. Michael, trouble walking and waiting for a knee replacement. Prayers for Pam's Dad, being received into the Church at Easter. Prayers, too, for Kevin, that a potential crisis in his marriage may be avoided and all worked through.

      Deo gratias and thanksgiving prayers for Jim and his Mom, Elaine. After 2 weeks of severe illness, she is doing much better. Thanks to all! prayers of thanks, too, for Ann and her youngest son: he is now music director in a Parish and working on a master's degree in choral conducting. lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 27, June 28, October 28
      Chapter 21: On the Deans of the Monastery

      If the community is a large one,
      let there be chosen out of it
      brethren of good repute and holy life,
      and let them be appointed deans.
      These shall take charge of their deaneries in all things,
      observing the commandments of God
      and the instructions of their Abbot.

      Let men of such character be chosen deans
      that the Abbot may with confidence
      share his burdens among them.
      Let them be chosen not by rank
      but according to their worthiness of life
      and the wisdom of their doctrine.

      If any of these deans should become inflated with pride
      and found deserving of censure,
      let him be corrected once, and again, and a third time.
      If he will not amend,
      then let him be deposed
      and another be put in his place who is worthy of it.

      And we order the same to be done in the case of the Prior.

      REFLECTION

      Did anyone read this as I did at first, many years ago, and
      wonder: "Why did St. Benedict give them an academic name
      like "deans"? Well, it was probably the other way around! Since the
      first schools were monastic ones, it is quite likely that the
      term "dean" entered academia via the Holy Rule!

      Surely the academic gown of today is a modified form of our
      Benedictine choir robe, the cowl or cuculla. In fact, Benedictines
      used to wear their cucullas with the appropriate academic hoods as
      their formal dress at graduations and the like. With all due respect
      to the johnny-come-latelies like the Dominicans, Franciscans and
      Jesuits, when they don full academic regalia, they're wearing a
      derived form of our choir habit!

      But, enough of trivia...This chapter repeats another important
      consideration in St. Benedict's plan: people are not to be
      overburdened. This theme is less noticeable than the more important
      ones of moderation and the like, but it is there. Again and again,
      the Holy Rule says that people should have help with their charges,
      certain officials should even be exempted from serving in the
      refectory.

      Two things are going on here, both very important. Surely the first
      is kindness, gentle consideration for human frailty. The second,
      however, is every bit as defining and important: we are not our work,
      we are not our jobs, our vocation and worth is only connected to such
      things tangentially at best. Our motto is Prayer AND Work. The
      message is that neither of these should make the other impossible.

      This message is equally important for both choir monastics and
      Oblates. If your work is so much that your prayer suffers, something
      is wrong. However, especially true for those of us in the secular
      world, if your prayer is so much that your job or children or
      marriage suffers, something is REALLY wrong. If your work deprives
      your family or spouse, it might be time to look at changing it, time
      to rearrange goals and priorities a bit.

      One of the occasional problems of modern life everywhere is not just
      that we are too busy, but that we FOCUS too much attachment and will
      on stuff that really doesn't matter. Change that focus. Picture your
      job today if you had died yesterday. The important stuff would still
      get done by someone else. The rest, your own agenda, would go merrily
      down the tubes.

      Well, learn from that! A LOT of our own agendas are worth little more
      than that: going down the tubes. So why waste so much time and
      spiritual and emotional energy on them? As it does so frequently, the
      Holy Rule and Benedictine life tell us: "Get real!"

      Train yourself- and it is not always easy- to learn what NOT to care
      about at all, what does not, and should not matter one bit. That is the
      detachment that is truly holy. It is not all that hard to learn, either, if one
      keeps at it and asks God for His grace, without which we can do nothing good.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2007

        Prayers, please, for Bob, having a growth removed from his skull, it looks
        like a basal cell carcinoma, but prayers it isn't another type. The prayers
        are helping Bob in healing of acceptance of his vision impairment but it is
        still difficult for him at times. Prayers, too, for Nate, mentally ill, and for
        all his family.
        Prayers, please, for Claudia's sister and her family. Her youngest son is in
        surgery in Florida, due
        to a motorcycle accident, where he broke his foot, extent unknown at this
        time. And her husband, Bob, is experiencing "issues" with his new liver, both
        she and Bob are in Hawaii, so far from their son in FL. Prayers for them all.
        Prayers for J., exploring his identity, and for his worried parents and
        grandparents.

        Prayers for James, pneumonia, comatose in ICU for 9 days. He started running
        a fever (103) and now has a tracheotomy. A procedure to keep clots away from
        his heart is being delayed by the fever. Prayers for him and all his family,
        and for the folks who treat and care for him and all our prayer intentions,
        medically or spiritually. Prayers for Launetta, 95, and hospitalized with
        several worrying symptoms. She lost her husband last March and her son, Fr.
        Paul, is very worried about her, prayers for them both! Lord, help us all as You

        http://www.aol.com.