Feb 24

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 7:35 PM

      Prayers, please, for the health of Glenna, who is having a biopsy on
      Friday. God's will be done. Thanks, NRN JL

      The order of psalmody for the day Hours being thus arranged,
      let all the remaining Psalms be equally distributed
      among the seven Night Offices
      by dividing the longer Psalms among them
      and assigning twelve Psalms to each night.

      We strongly recommend, however,
      that if this distribution of the Psalms is displeasing to anyone,
      she should arrange them otherwise,
      in whatever way she considers better,
      but taking care in any case
      that the Psalter with its full number of 150 Psalms
      be chanted every week
      and begun again every Sunday at the Night Office.
      For those monastics show themselves too lazy
      in the service to which they are vowed,
      who chant less than the Psalter with the customary canticles
      in the course of a week,
      whereas we read that our holy Fathers
      strenuously fulfilled that task in a single day.
      May we, lukewarm that we are, perform it at least in a whole week!

      REFLECTION

      Please read that last paragraph over slowly and carefully. Please
      note the condition it gives for rearranging the Psalms. That is the
      root of my feeling- my own opinion- that we have often failed the
      Rule in revising the Office. I am well aware that my position is
      unpopular, that mine is a minority voice. Ah, but minority voices can
      sometimes be such sacred cows! Sometimes, but not always.

      I honestly feel that the pluralism which we espouse does not address
      itself only to accrediting those who agree that all we have done is
      splendid in one degree or another. I honestly believe that pluralism
      entitles me to feel the that the emperor is occasionally naked, even
      to say so. The very people who struggled to gain that pluralism, who
      taught me to question the status quo, often take questions of the
      status quo that they produced with jaundiced eyes. I can't see the
      logic there. I hope I never can.