Holy Rule for Feb. 15

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Vivian, 92, we prayed for her earlier after a fall and head injury. She is now in a nursing home for three months of rehab, with some right side weakness of uncertain cause. Prayers for her grand daughter, Joy, who is her health care proxy, her daughter, Joyce, and all their family, for God's perfect will for them all! Prayers for Steve, in a lot of anguish just now and needing grace to make the right decisions. Prayers for J., trying time for her whole family, for grace and love and strength for all to do right. Prayers for Stan and his wife and family, trying times for them now, too. For grace and strength and love, for God's will!

      Prayers for Don, in ICU, possible kidney failure, going downhill. His family are gathering, but they so hope not to lose him at this time. prayers for them all, especially his cousin, who asked. Robert, 59, flesh-eating infection, for whom we prayed, has died. For his happy death, eternal rest and for all his family and friends who mourn him. Prayers for Fr. Brendan's Dad, 86. He fell and broke some facial bones badly. Surgery to repair them later this week. May God guide the hands and hearts of his doctors and all the doctors who care for us and those we pray for! Lord, help us as You know and will! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 15, June 16, October 16
      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      On weekdays
      the Morning Office shall be celebrated as follows.
      Let Psalm 66 be said without an antiphon
      and somewhat slowly,
      as on Sunday,
      in order that all may be in time for Psalm 50,
      which is to be said with an antiphon.
      After that let two other Psalms be said according to custom,
      namely:
      on Monday Psalms 5 and 35,
      on Tuesday Psalms 42 and 56,
      on Wednesday Psalms 63 and 64,
      on Thursday Psalms 87 and 89,
      on Friday Psalms 75 and 91,
      and on Saturday Psalm 142 and the canticle from Deuteronomy,
      which is to be divided into two sections
      each terminated by a "Glory be to the Father."
      But on the other days let there be a canticle from the Prophets,
      each on its own day as chanted by the Roman Church.
      Next follow the Psalms of praise,
      then a lesson of the Apostle to be recited from memory,
      the responsory, the hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany, and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Again, we have the gentleness of St. Benedict, insisting on the slow
      recitation of Psalm 66, to give all the stragglers and strugglers
      time to arrive! But we have it here in other respects, too. Check out
      the length of the Canticle from Deuteronomy. Pack a lunch!! St.
      Benedict divides it, drops one Psalm and lets one half of the very
      long canticle take its place.

      Even though St. Benedict went out of his way to shorten the Roman
      Office of his day, here he says that the canticles chosen by the
      Roman Church for most of the week should be used. When he sees a good
      idea, he embraces it. When he sees a need for change, he does that,
      too. It is very evident that he did not care for lengthy services,
      that he did not want his monastics to become liturgical gymnasts,
      spending ALL their time working out! As always, he wanted balance.

      We must always be careful NOT to read St. Benedict with purely 21st
      century eyes. Liturgy and uniformity were very, very different in his
      time. If anything, uniformity was little known. The greatest
      ascendancy of the Roman usage before Trent in Europe- and even that
      was far from complete- would come hundreds of years later, under the
      aegis of Charlemagne. The enforced uniformity of Trent was over a
      thousand years away.

      (Trivia: We forget that the Roman rite of Trent was not used
      everywhere before the 16th century, or even used everywhere AFTER the
      Reformation. One of the minor complaints to arise about the priests
      of the post-Reformation English mission was that some used the new
      Roman Mass of Trent, while others clung to the more ancient and
      properly English rite of Sarum. Dominicans, Cistercians and
      Carthusians retained their own rites, with Gallican peculiarities,
      right up until the late 1960's. Carthusians still use their own rite
      for Mass and Office, currently the most ancient and rare rite in the
      West.

      Hence, when we see St. Benedict setting up his own complete Psalter,
      that is not unusual: every monastery would have to do that for
      itself, some better than others. It was that "some better than
      others" part that St. Benedict wished to avoid: he set a standard for
      his monasteries that would protect them from the surrounding extremes
      of too much or too little.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007

        Prayers for the Byzantine Catholic Seminary in Pittsburgh, yesterday was the
        feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, their patrons. Sts. Cyril and Methodius
        are also co-patrons of Europe, along with St. Benedict.

        Prayers, please, for Bruce, 58, tumor on esophagus which will be removed and
        some liver spots. MaryAnn, for whom we prayed, has moved to hospice care in
        Concord, NH, prayers for her family and friends, too. Prayers, please, for
        Daniel, undergoing knee surgery today for an injury he sustained in Army basic
        training. If recovery isn't complete, there's a good chance he'll be given a
        discharge and he very much wants to stay in the Army. Prayers, too, for
        Rhonda, his Mom, who lives far away and cannot be near him, except through prayer.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for C., 21 years of sobriety! Ad multos
        annos, many more years! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
[...]

        everywhere before the 16th century, or even used everywhere afterwards.
        One of the minor complaints to arise about the priests
        of the post-Reformation English mission was that some used the new
        Roman Mass of Trent, while others clung to the more ancient and
        properly English rite of Sarum. Dominicans, Carmelites, Cistercians and