Holy Rule for Feb. 14

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Henry, for whom we prayed. He has been given weeks to live and is receiving hospice care at home. Prayers, too, for his wife, Rosemary, their small daughter and Barbara, Rosemary's Mom, who now has both her own Mother and her son-in-law in hospice. Prayers for Rosemary's sister, flying out to be with her and help and for some important decisions that Barbara faces. Prayers for Norm, rampant cancer, for his happy death and eternal rest and that he and all his family may find greater faith in this trial. Barb, for whom we prayed remains out of remission from leukemia and must undergo a third bout of chemo, since the first were not effective. She is having a really tough time of it now. For her doctors and all her family. Prayers for Don, brain tumor, and all his family, and for Jordan, beginning a new job. Prayers for Mary Anne, suddenly laid off and in precarious financial straits. She is going for her first interview today.

      Prayers for Dorothy, a devoted Oblate who gives much time and service to her monastery, operated on for gall bladder yesterday. May she soon be back at her usual routine of serving others! Prayers for an adult family with an elderly Father, all in considerable turmoil right now. May peace, love and balance prevail! For a couple with a stillborn child. Deo gratias and thanksgiving for the career of E., and for the safe return of Trish's son from Europe, where he has been working, for his next decisions about life and work. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 14, June 15, October 15

      Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

      The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
      recited straight through without an antiphon.
      After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
      then Psalms 117 and 62,
      the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
      148-150);
      then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
      the responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      By now, it should be clear that St. Benedict goes out of his way to
      make Sunday special, its liturgy more solemn and joyous. Tucked in
      this short chapter, however, is a key to the monastic struggle that
      is often forgotten or under-emphasized in the modern West: lifelong
      repentance. Not just during the week, but even on Sundays, the feast
      of the Resurrection spread throughout the year, he wants the
      monastics to say Psalm 50(51), "Have mercy on me, O God..." This is
      the most famous confession of guilt in the Psalter, *THE* penitential
      Psalm par excellence!

      Because East and West understand very different things
      by "repentance" it is easy for either side to become annoyed with the
      interpretation of the other. Extremely put, an Easterner might be
      turned off by what would be seen as the Western practice of "repent
      and get over it," a more or less (to their eyes,) temporary activity.
      Westerners would be equally grossed out by the Eastern position of
      LIFELONG repentance. It would strike them as severe and overdone, a
      bit like the perfect student cheerleader who bursts into tears
      because she got an A minus! (How many of us plodders have wanted to
      retch and gag at such Honor Roll tears!! Puhleeze, get a life!)

      Hate to tell you, folks, but I think that the East has the healthiest
      view on this one. They view repentance not just as mourning, but as
      turning around, "metanoia." Granted, the term metanoia gained a
      certain popularity in the West in the late 20th century, but its full
      Eastern meaning as a synonym for repentance seems to have escaped us!
      In the West, we would term metanoia as "conversion", a turning around
      or away from and repentance more as a passive regret. To the East,
      both these active and passive actions make up the whole of
      repentance. This may seem a silly distinction, but when two parties
      mean slightly different things by the same term, it is wise to clear
      up the picture!

      In that light, repentance is a turning which does not turn back. It
      is not just passive remorse, it is active and lifelong conversion.
      Ah, now our Western minds can wrap around it more easily! Repentance
      means to Eastern ears what we Benedictines would call conversion of
      manners! You don't repent once and quit, you go on and on in
      converted life.

      There might be a Western glimmer of that absolute repentance which
      continues in some fashion or other in a Spanish phrase: "De repente."
      It is used to mean suddenly, all at once, in a twinkling. However,
      (correct me, mis Latinos, if I am wrong here!) once something
      happens "de repente" a complete and total return to the prior state
      of affairs does not occur. If you fall in love "de repente" you may
      indeed later fall out of love, but you will never return to the
      condition which preceded your love, to the beloved being unknown or
      ignored. De repente is not just sudden, it is, in a real sense,
      definite: things will never the exactly the same again.

      That's why St. Benedict wants us to repent everyday. He wants us to
      never be exactly the same again! And that, beloveds, is what
      conversion of manners is all about: different and hopefully better
      each day.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007

        Phyllis, for whom we prayed the other day, went into renal failure and the
        family agreed to stop heroics. She died at noon on Tuesday, the family had
        come in and, I believe, had arranged for her to be anointed. Prayers for the
        family, especially her son, Bob, and for her happy death and eternal rest.
        Continued prayers for Ann, in hospice and slowly, serenely moving closer and
        closer to death, also for all her family. Prayers for Myrta, who has advanced
        Alzheimer's, and is suffering from pneumonia and an infection. She probably does
        not have long to live. Prayers for all her family, especially her
        granddaughter, Susan.

        Prayers for Brendan and Basil, for the will of God in an appointment with an
        archbishop which is coming up soon. Huge Deo gratias and thanksgiving for
        Adrian, whom we have prayed for and who waited literally years for his hip
        replacement. It was done, with a bone graft, on Feb. 6 and he is now slowly on
        the mend, continued prayers for his recovery. Prayers for Laurent, who has
        recently been diagnosed with the most aggressive kind of leukemia, and for his
        wife and family. Prayers, too, for Elizabeth and for her husband who recently
        had skin cancer removed from his leg. Prayers for the 5 people shot and killed
        in Philadelphia Naval Yard yesterday, for their happy death and eternal rest
        and for all who mourn them, as well as for whoever shot them. Prayers for
        Kate, seeking a second opinion on her questionable pap test. Prayers, too, for
        C., for a safe journey and discernment for God's will. Prayers for Aletha,
        age 19, cancer of the jaw. Prayers, too, for her family, especially her
        grandparents, Al and Sue.

        Prayers for A. who is dealing with the difficult disorder of anorexia, and
        in in-patient treatment. Richard's aunt, for whom we prayed, received
        favorable results from her breast biopsy and he thanks all for their prayers. Deo
        gratias! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

[...]

        Have to tell you, folks, I think that the East has the healthiest