Feb 18

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2003

      Prayers, please, for someone who is in terribly deep depression.
      Thanks! God's will be done! NRN JL

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said
      both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent
      let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only.
      On every Sunday, however, outside of Lent,
      the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext and None
      shall be said with "Alleluia,"
      but Vespers with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia"
      except from Easter to Pentecost.

      REFLECTION

      Well, in the West, apparently already by St. Benedict's
      time, "Alleluia" became a happy word of celebration the use of which
      was proscribed in somber times like Lent. That didn't happen in the
      East. They go merrily along with Alleluia, even in the depths of
      Lent. There might be a lot more sense to that, actually.

      "Alleluia" means "Praise the Lord!" I know we have taken it to mean
      something a lot more like "Whoopee!", but it doesn't. I bow to St.
      Benedict and Western tradition in the liturgical use. In our hearts,
      however, there should be an "Alleluia/praise the Lord" at all times
      and seasons. "Praise the Lord anyhow!" the charismatics used to say
      when something dreadful or unlovely happened to one. How true, how
      very true!

      In every heartbreak, in every despair, in every grief we must
      ardently cling to our faith that God is merciful and good. We must
      see that when we feel unable to see it. We must, by faith and sheer
      will, affirm that the Lord must be praised at all times. He is not
      mean. Whatever is bleak shall never, ever lack His tender, caressing
      hand behind it, no matter how unseen to us. It is there. He is there.
      Always! Praise the Lord!