Holy Rule for Dec. 31

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Michel and Catherine, re-discovering the wonder of their marriage and hopefully repairing much that was threatened or lost! Prayers for Leo and his wife, Jane. He had surgery to remove his gall bladder, appendix and some cancerous colon, but the cancer is also in his liver. Prayers for a friend of one of our readers who is having a terrible marriage crisis. Prayers for relationship issues help for Rachel, also for God's will about a job she seems close to getting. Continued prayers for Stan and all his family. So many things to pray for there!

      Lastly, a prayer for me- prayer only, no congratulations, as you will quickly see why! Thirty years ago today, at First Vespers of the Solemnity of the Mother of God, I received the Benedictine habit for the first time. I left, of course, hence congratulations are not in order, but the day remains clear to me and dear in my memory. Through God's infinite grace and mercy and them alone, I have been privileged to spend nearly half of those thirty years in the habit. Please pray that I may persevere to the end, that I may never take it off again, that my wedding garment is truly my shroud as well! Lord, help us as you know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      May 1, August 31, December 31
      Chapter 73: On the Fact That the Full Observance of Justice Is Not
      Established in This Rule

      Now we have written this Rule
      in order that by its observance in monasteries
      we may show that we have attained some degree of virtue
      and the rudiments of the religious life.

      But for those who would hasten to the perfection of that life
      there are the teaching of the holy Fathers,
      the observance of which leads to the height of perfection.
      For what page or what utterance
      of the divinely inspired books of the Old and New Testaments
      is not a most unerring rule for human life?
      Or what book of the holy Catholic Fathers
      does not loudly proclaim
      how we may come by a straight course to our Creator?
      Then the Conferences and the Institutes
      and the Lives of the Fathers,
      as also the Rule of our holy Father Basil --
      what else are they but tools of virtue
      for right-living and obedient monks?
      But for us who are lazy and ill-living and negligent
      they are a source of shame and confusion.

      Whoever you are, therefore,
      who are hastening to the heavenly homeland,
      fulfil with the help of Christ
      this minimum Rule which we have written for beginners;
      and then at length under God's protection
      you will attain to the loftier heights of doctrine and virtue
      which we have mentioned above.

      REFLECTION

      "Whoever you are, therefore, who are hastening to the heavenly
      homeland..." That "whoever" is the true object all this heartfelt
      tenderness of Saint Benedict , the one for whom he wrote! He only
      made one qualifier, that of "hastening to the heavenly homeland." It
      seems that some of our decisions about who matters and who does not
      have employed a somewhat more restrictive standard than that of our
      holy Father Benedict.

      "Whoever you are..." I don't care who you are or how much I disagree
      with you, whether I nearly hate your positions or love them blindly,
      it is you I am called to love, to honor to respect, to cherish as a
      fellow monastic traveler. You.

      "Whoever you are..." I surely don't care whether you're Catholic or
      not, in fact I am relieved and delighted that many of you on board
      are not! I surely don't care if you are not exactly the same sort of
      Catholic as I am, it doesn't matter to me. You do. You have to,
      because this is the Holy Rule I have embraced, that we all have.

      In the United States, through much of our history, Catholics and Jews
      shared a roughly equal amount of contempt. Great camaraderie could
      flourish between the two and still quite often does. Having said
      that, it has always amused me that many Jews I know get along MUCH
      better with Catholics than they do with Jews who disagree with them!
      How like ourselves!

      When disagreement happens within our family, we hurt more, it is more
      important to us. The differing opinion of a stranger on the subway
      would hardly matter at all! Maybe the fact that we CAN get hurt and
      angry is a good sign, maybe it means we are at least beginning to
      love, but it is HOW we get hurt or angry that we have to examine
      very, very closely.

      The important thing is not opinion or observance or concepts. The
      important thing is you. Whoever you are. Every time I fail that, I
      have to get up, apologize and start over. Maybe not right from square
      one each time, but again each time.

      If I ever stop doing those things, I have stopped being a
      Benedictine. Whoever you are, but it's not just me that has to
      embrace that. You do, too. We all do. I am the only one I can insist
      upon, however, the only one I can make change, and that might be good
      to keep in mind, whoever you are.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006

        My special prayers for all of you this New Year's Eve! May we all change the
        only persons we can surely change: ourselves. May we strive to make this
        year gentler and more loving, more filled with Christ and closer to His Kingdom
        than last year. May each year we receive from God find us closer to Him and
        bringing others closer to Him, too. The only way to do that is Love. May we
        spread it with all the might and zeal we can muster! Blessed New Year to you
        all!

        Bob, whose by-pass surgery we prayed for before Christmas, came home from
        the hospital last night only to be rushed back in this morning. His wife
        Marsha has asked for our prayers again. Prayers for someone suffering from
        paranoid delusions. Prayers for Saddam Hussein, the he may have embraced the Divine
        Mercy fully at his last moment.

        Lastly, a prayer for me- prayer only, no congratulations, as you will
        quickly see why! Thirty-one years ago today, at First Vespers of the Solemnity of
        the Mother of God, I received the Benedictine habit for the first time. I
        left, of course, hence congratulations are not in order, but the day remains
        clear to me and dear in my memory.

        Through God's infinite grace and mercy and them alone, I now have been
        privileged to spend nearly half of those thirty-one years in the habit. Please pray

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2007

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for all their loved ones and all who mourn them:

          Brigid, and for Brendan, Brigid's husband, and also for her sister, Elizabeth, who at age 86, has seen all but one of her sisters and brothers come and go, whilst she, the eldest, remains. Although the family has always had its deep Faith, life's struggles do seem hard at times.

          Peter, who died suddenly, and for his wife, Fenton, most particularly, now alone after a strong and exemplary marriage of 48 years. He was 71, she is 69.

          Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care fo them:

          Jane's Dad, waiting to die and puzzled why God hasn't taken him yet. For his happy death at exactly the hour God wants. God chooses such hours to make embracing Him and His Divine Mercy fully the most possible for each soul.

          all those people who are suffering from stress due to work: that economy and work organisation may adapt to man and not vice versa.

          all youngsters and for their parents: that youngsters, parents and we may find ways to help youngsters to find a healthy and meaningful lifestyle and parents to deal with their kids in the right way.

          Elaine, 65, who sprained her ankle badly

          Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise HIm! Thanks so much. JL