Oct 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility
      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      Reflection

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright crap that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      doesn't work for long either. Mother or Father often quite pointedly
      know nothing at all, but the will of God comes through to us in spite
      of them, not because they are wise or stupid, but because of love,
      God's love for us. Many, many people in the church do the will of God
      for reasons that have nothing to do with God! They do it unwittingly,
      they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but I think there is a
      mystical point where the love and will of God for one cannot
      ultimately be thwarted, where it is actually advanced by humans who
      have not a clue what they are doing.