Holy Rule for Dec. 17

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Pat, on her FIFTIETH birthday. Though most would not know this, all our readers owe a debt of gratitude to Pat: she gave the monastery the computer on which these reflections are sent out and which helped immensely in the setting up of our website. Thanks, Pat! Happy Birthday, blessings and graces!

      Prayers for Bob, broken hip, and for his wife, Kathryn and his surgeons. Prayers for a person with a sexual addiction and struggling bravely! Prayers for Gin, early stage colon cancer, for her husband, Donny and all their family. Prayers for Joy in Tampa, chemo and radiation for her cancer, and for Shirley, nausea and fatigue, also for her cat, Simon, who has had surgery for kidney problems. Prayers for Matt, still having a very tough time. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2006

        Prayers for Pat on her fifty-first birthday! Ad multos annos and Deo gratias
        for the gift her life is! Blessings and graces in abundance!

        Prayers for Mary, surgery earlier this week for thyroid cancer. Prayers for
        Fr. P.'s Dad, triple bypass surgery. Now, for a HUGE Deo gratias: Mike, the
        fellow we prayed for last week who had 2 heart attacks and two strokes, is
        already home and walked into Church on his own power, thanking our own Michael
        LoPiccolo who had asked prayers for him. Truly, this is nothing short of a
        miraculous recovery. He had been in ICU with a very iffy prognosis. God is so
        good!

        Chapter 62: On the Priests of the Monastery

        If an Abbot desire
        to have a priest or a deacon ordained for his monastery,
        let him choose one
        who is worthy to exercise the priestly office.

        But let the one who is ordained
        beware of self-exaltation or pride;
        and let him not presume to do anything
        except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
        knowing that he is so much the more subject
        to the discipline of the Rule.
        Nor should he by reason of his priesthood forget
        the obedience and the discipline required by the Rule,
        but make ever more and more progress towards God.

        Let him always keep the place which he received
        on entering the monastery,
        except in his duties at the altar
        or in case the choice of the community and the will of the Abbess
        should promote him for the worthiness of his life.
        Yet he must understand
        that he is to observe the rules laid down by deans and Priors.

        Should he presume to act otherwise,
        let him be judged not as a priest but as a rebel.
        And if he does not reform after repeated admonitions,
        let even the Bishop be brought in as a witness.
        If then he still fails to amend,
        and his offenses are notorious,
        let him be put out of the monastery,
        but only if his contumacy is such
        that he refuses to submit or to obey the Rule.

        REFLECTION

        This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
        in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
        Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
        necessary ought to remain firmly in place! All authority, all power entails
        responsibility.

        Authority, when we hold it, is not about us, it's about them, the people
        over whom it is exercised. It's exercise is not about us either, it is about
        the folks that authority is meant to serve. Just as a really good priest or
        minister "disappears" behind vesture and rubric when serving at the altar,
        so should those in authority be. We ought always to be able to see the
        common good in them, not a cheap and tacky caricature of a bad monarch.

        Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed.
        When it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
        of us get the opportunity to deal with authority or to administer
        same. Our Benedictine hearts should make it readily evident to any
        who observes us that our style in either area is decidedly different!

        There's another thing both the world and religious life could profit
        from learning. Authority in the Holy Rule is not permanent, not even
        in the case of an Abbot, whom St. Benedict says may, even ought to be
        removed in extreme cases. So often, in cloister or world, once we
        have kicked someone upstairs, we are hesitant to ever put them
        downstairs again. That shouldn't be. It gives the person and the
        community an excellent potential for learning and teaching humility.
        Whenever anyone handles authority badly, really badly, they should
        not be rewarded with continued administration. Alas, that is often
        not the case.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2007

          Special prayers for Pat, on her 52nd birthday, a gift her life is to so many! Ad multos annos, many years!

          Adrian, slow recovery from hip replacement, now walking with one crutch.

          Paul, grieving the loss of his Dad, and for all their family.

          Jim, psychological problems.

          Special intentions for Fr. David, Sean, MAtt and Karin.

          Robert, colonoscopy on Monday and a strong family history of colon cancer.

          Jessie, caught up in wicca.

          Sam, prostate and bladder surgery postponed because of sever vertigo, also has serious artery blockage. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

          April 17, August 17, December 17