Holy Rule for Dec. 16

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2005
      +PAX

      ++A note on the gender in this excerpt of the Holy Rule. I don't switch the genders, that's the way it comes from St. John's daily reading which I cut and paste. It is rarely problematic, but today it often gets me posts from Roman Catholics asking me what gives...

      Prayers, please, for Matt, horribly depressed and fatalistic, questioning everything, and for his children and the court decision, which doesn't come for a week. He can only see a worst case scenario outcome, and really needs strength and grace and HOPE. Prayers for Fr. Ryan and Joe, Dan and Jim, also for Bill. Prayer for Jim on his birthday. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 16, August 16, December 16
      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      But if as a guest she was found exacting or prone to vice,
      not only should she be denied membership in the community,
      but she should even be politely requested to leave,
      lest others be corrupted by her evil life.

      If, however, she has not proved to be the kind
      who deserves to be put out,
      she should not only on her own application be received
      as a member of the community,
      but she should even be persuaded to stay,
      that the others may be instructed by her example,
      and because in every place it is the same Lord who is served,
      the same King for whom the battle is fought.

      Moreover, if the Abbess perceives that she is worthy,
      she may put her in a somewhat higher rank.
      [And not only with regard to a nun
      but also with regard to those in priestly or clerical orders
      previously mentioned,]*
      the Abbess may establish them in a higher rank
      than would be theirs by date of entrance
      if she perceives that their life is deserving.

      Let the Abbess take care, however,
      never to receive a nun from another known monastery
      as a member of her community
      without the consent of her Abbess or a letter of recommendation;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tob.
      4:16).

      *[Applicable only to women of some contemporary monastic communities
      in the Anglican Communion.]

      REFLECTION

      The flip side of a visitor having a few good things to point out is
      one who has very little good to say at all, carping about everything.
      Just as the monastic family is to listen carefully at first to see
      which brand of critic they have, here they are warned that the one
      who is happy with nothing should be politely asked to leave. It is,
      as always, balance. We should fall into neither extreme.

      Monasteries and families are very much alike in their innate sense of
      being more or less OK. Like families, they can sometimes be mistaken
      about this and St. Benedict knows that. However, he also points out
      that there are times when that instinctive feeling of being all right
      IS right, and a visiting malcontent ought not to disrupt it.

      There is a specific application here for single Oblates who may be
      dating. Virtually all of us could use some improvements in our lives,
      especially if we have fallen into some of the peculiar habits that
      seem to thrive among those who live alone. An outside observer, one
      who sees the side of our life previously hidden, can offer some real
      help.

      However, someone who wants to overhaul us or our lives wholesale, is
      not a "suitable suitor" or friend! We must learn to live with and
      adapt to others, but I'll bet that any of us who have dated have
      known at least one of those who wanted to remake us from the ground
      up. Not a good idea!

      Religious people can actually be too passive in this respect, quite
      easily. All kinds of things might enter into that judgement, but self-
      emptying and self-destruction are two different things! A human
      relationship is the union of two people, not the total absorption of
      one.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for the happy death and eternal rest of Mr. Kuzeja, for his son, Paul and all their family, and for all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Jimmy, who took his own life, and for all who mourn him.

        Paula, carrying twins, one with a heart defect, and worried about the effect some of her meds might have on her pregnancy.

        Al, having an MRI.

        Bill and Carol, having a terrible time resolving their grief at the loss of their son. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2016

          +PAX

          Belated birthday prayers for our Br. Vincent, whose birthday was yesterday. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Georgia Police Officers Nick Smarr and Jody Smith, killed in the line of duty. Prayers for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the suspected killer, Minquell Lembrick, who took his own life, may he have repented in time, and for his family and those who mourn him.

          Prayers for Gerald, killed in a car accident, and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Patricia’s sister, Barbara, rushed to the hospital with high white blood cell count and in a lot of pain, diagnosis as yet uncertain.

          Prayers, too, for Patricia and all their family.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Jimmy, on his birthday, and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

          But if as a guest he was found exacting or prone to vice,
          not only should he be denied membership in the community,
          but he should even be politely requested to leave,
          lest others be corrupted by his evil life.

          If, however, he has not proved to be the kind
          who deserves to be put out,
          he should not only on his own application be received
          as a member of the community,
          but he should even be persuaded to stay,
          that the others may be instructed by his example,
          and because in every place it is the same Lord who is served,
          the same King for whom the battle is fought.

          Moreover, if the Abbot perceives that he is worthy,
          he may put him in a somewhat higher rank.
          And not only with regard to a monk
          but also with regard to those in priestly or clerical orders
          previously mentioned,
          the Abbot may establish them in a higher rank
          than would be theirs by date of entrance
          if he perceives that their life is deserving.

          Let the Abbot take care, however,
          never to receive a monk from another known monastery
          as a member of his community
          without the consent of his Abbot or a letter of recommendation;
          for it is written,
          "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tob.
          4:16).

          REFLECTION

          The flip side of a visitor having a few good things to point out is
          one who has very little good to say at all, carping about everything.
          Just as the monastic family is to listen carefully at first to see
          which brand of critic they have, here they are warned that the one
          who is happy with nothing should be politely asked to leave. It is,
          as always, balance. We should fall into neither extreme.

          Monasteries and families are very much alike in their innate sense of
          being more or less OK. Like families, they can sometimes be mistaken
          about this and St. Benedict knows that. However, he also points out
          that there are times when that instinctive feeling of being all right
          truly is right, and a visiting malcontent ought not to disrupt it.

          Virtually all of us could use some improvements in our lives,
          especially if we have fallen into some of the peculiar habits that
          seem to thrive among those who live alone. An outside observer, one
          who sees the side of our life previously hidden, can offer some real
          help.

          However, someone who wants to overhaul us or our lives wholesale, is
          not a "suitable suitor" or friend! We must learn to live with and
          adapt to others, but I'll bet that many of us who have dated have
          known at least one of those who wanted to remake us from the ground
          up. Not a good idea!

          Some people can actually be too passive in this respect, quite
          easily. All kinds of things might enter into that judgement, but self-
          emptying and self-destruction are two different things! A human
          relationship is the union of two people, not the total absorption of
          one.

          http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/
          Petersham, MA

          _,_._,___