Holy Rule fot Dec. 14

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2005

      Sorry to be so late today- much intervened!! Deo gratias and thanks for all your prayers, the furnace is humming merrily today and nobody froze!

      Prayers, please, for Lillian, that she courageously faces her mental problems and that grace may aid her, for Fr. Brendan, pneumonia, for Barry, in hospice care with pancreatic cancer, and for Beverly, his wife, and all their family. Prayers, too, for Suzanne, that she may help her daughter and for all her family. Deo gratias for the peaceful death of Donna's Dad, 92, and for Donna and her mourning and healing and for all their family. Prayers, for Vic, lung tumor, probably malignant, and for Steve, in hospice with leukemia and not expected to last the week. Prayers for Maria, breast cancer, also for Leo, colon cancer which is spreading, gall stones and an ulcer, but still active and for Jane, his wife. Prayers for Betsy and her husband, Pete. He has a femoral artery procedure on Thursday. Prayers for Al, radioactive seed treatment for early prostate cancer and for Pat, his wife and all his family.

      Deo gratias for Christopher, whom we prayed for. His pneumonia started to improve at once and he was able to take his final exams. His Mom is very grateful for all our prayers. Further Deo gratias for Gregory, whom we prayed for, things have sorted themselves out for him and he has a second chance now, also for his grateful aunt! Deo gratias and thanks for the safe return of Keara from her long journey. Deo gratias for improved mobility of Sr. Mary Stella.

      Prayers for one seeking God's will in choice of a marriage partner, may God clearly show His will. Prayers for Jeferson, exam later this month and for the health of his parents, Richard and Emely, multiple health problems, also for help for their financial situation. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 14, August 14, December 14
      Chapter 60: On Priests Who May Wish to Live in the Monastery

      If any ordained priest
      should ask to be received into the monastery,
      permission shall not be granted too readily.
      But if he is quite persistent in his request,
      let him know
      that he will have to observe the whole discipline of the Rule
      and that nothing will be relaxed in his favor,
      that it may be as it is written:
      "Friend, for what have you come (Matt. 26:50)?"

      It shall be granted him, however, to stand next after the Abbot
      and to give blessings and to celebrate Mass,
      but only by order of the Abbot.
      Without such order let him not make any exceptions for himself,
      knowing that he is subject to the discipline of the Rule;
      but rather let him give an example of humility to all.

      If there happens to be question of an appointment
      or of some business in the monastery,
      let him expect the rank due him
      according to the date of his entrance into the monastery,
      and not the place granted him
      out of reverence for the priesthood.

      If any clerics, moved by the same desire,
      should wish to join the monastery,
      let them be placed in a middle rank.
      But they too are to be admitted only if they promise
      observance of the Rule and stability.

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict here is simply insisting again on equality. Just as he
      wanted the rich to divest themselves of privilege at entrance, so
      does he want the clergy to put aside the privileges that their status
      gave them in the world.

      This has been difficult in our Order's history to apply. Canon law
      itself has given more than a bit of trouble in this respect,
      guaranteeing that priests had to be governed by ordained major
      superiors and so forth. There have also been backlashes of
      anticlericalism among brothers in some areas in the last 50 years.
      Neither extreme is a happy one.

      Cling instead to what St. Benedict is saying here to all of us about
      the equality of all. Only for virtue or experience (or because the
      Abbot deems to do so,) may one be placed before another. WOW! Picture
      a world run on that model, picture even a corporation! St. Benedict
      tries to give privilege only to those worthy of it. Would that every
      human institution did that!

      The quintessential question of the Holy Rule is that of
      Jesus: "Friend, for what have you come?" The only acceptable answer
      to the question is: "To seek God." That might be rephrased in any of
      a number of ways, but that's the main event, the only game in town,
      the end all be all of Benedictine monastic life.

      It is very necessary, in stating that we seek God, to admit that we
      haven't altogether found Him yet, nor will we ever do so before
      death. Even in the beatific vision of heaven itself, we creatures
      will never, ever get to the root of our Creator, to the "ground zero"
      of God. Ain't gonna happen.

      Another way of saying this is that we need to come to the Holy Rule
      and to the Gospel and to Christ admitting how frighteningly little we
      DO know. If we think an MDiv or an MD or a BS have corrected that
      problem, even slightly, well, maybe the degree is just
      about all we've gotten from the experience.

      For heaven's sake, after spending so many years of my life trying to
      become clever, what a tremendous relief it is to be dumb:
      pluperfectly, fallibly, humanly, screamingly, shriekingly DUMB! Boy,
      I love it! Ignorance truly *IS* bliss, just like they told ya!

      In one sense, I heartily recommend it. It is the only position from
      which one may learn anything at all. Get too smart (or think you
      have!) and you will never listen, thereby failing another Benedictine hallmark.
      You
      won't learn because all your energy will go into composing your
      rejoinder or response. Such people do not learn. They merely joust.
      Life is more than that, much more. Tons more.