Holy Rule for Dec. 10

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2005

      There are a lot of prayer requests this morning, please forgive me for not being able to respond to them all individually, but my correspondence is backing up rather a lot. Please accept seeing the intentions here as an assurance that I care and am praying, too!

      Prayers for Bill, widower, 85, who took his own life and for his grieving family. Prayers for Fr. Louis, OCSO, (Thomas Merton,) on the anniversary of his death. Prayers for Lou, post-op hip surgery, and for his wife Dottie, home with beginning Alzheimer's, but doing well so far. Prayers for Brian, manic, paranoid, legal and alcohol problems, prayers for his family, trying to help all they can. Prayers for Jan, offer her lithium by her kidney doc's orders and perhaps close to living on her own, away from her current home.
      Prayers for Gregory, a life changing and challenging situation faces him, for his worried aunt and all his family. Prayers, too, for Sr. Doris, who has died very full of years. Prayers for Matt and his family. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 10, August 10, December 10

      Chapter 57: On the Artisans of the Monastery

      If there are artisans in the monastery,
      let them practice their crafts with all humility,
      provided the Abbot has given permission.
      But if any one of them becomes conceited
      over his skill in his craft,
      because he seems to be conferring a benefit on the monastery,
      let him be taken from his craft
      and no longer exercise it unless,
      after he has humbled himself,
      the Abbot again gives him permission.

      If any of the work of the craftsmen is to be sold,
      those responsible for the sale
      must not dare to practice any fraud.
      Let them always remember Ananias and Saphira,
      who incurred bodily death (Acts 5:1-11),
      lest they and all who perpetrate fraud
      in monastery affairs
      suffer spiritual death.
      And in the prices let not the sin of avarice creep in,
      but let the goods always be sold a little cheaper
      than they can be sold by people in the world,
      "that in all things God may be glorified" (1 Peter 4:11).

      REFLECTION

      My all-time favorite quote from G. K. Chesterton is: "The artistic
      temperament is a disease which afflicts amateurs." Amen!!! Ideally,
      Christian life done right would eliminate the phenomenon of prima
      donnas or mad queens (of either gender!) Monastic life should, too.

      The true artist is marked by humility, not because of low self-
      esteem, but because of a healthy dose of reality, a firm conviction
      that one's gift has been given by God and given with an eye to the
      service of all. Christian art, in any form, has no meaning at all
      outside of the glory of God and the betterment of the community.

      For an artisan to become proud about this would be as ludicrous as
      for a priest to be proud of his ability to consecrate, or a lay person
      proud of their ability to baptize. Sorry, folks! Doesn't come from us.
      Comes from God and we have to always remember our own littleness in
      receiving such wonders.

      A wrong attitude towards one's gift can quickly turn what God
      intended to be a boon to the Christian community into a very large
      and unmanageable human cross. Unfortunately, this turn of events is
      neither rare nor well done, you should pardon the play on words. Art
      in communities must be treasured and held dear, because
      it is a gift from a loving God. It is God and His gift that must be
      sacrosanct, not some temperamental artist who is just passing that
      gift on to others...

      The point here is that art must always and everywhere matter less
      than the people performing or enjoying it. The brothers and sisters
      come first, and they do so from a theological imperative of charity,
      much, much more intense than any concept of human reason alone or
      canon of aesthetics. In a very real sense, the artist must matter
      least of all, must disappear behind the gift, not insist on being
      thrust into a foreground of power trips and control.

      When a person does liturgy correctly, they vanish behind the veil of
      vesture and rubric. They become icon bearers and what is seen is no
      longer Traci or Jason, but acolyte and priest. It ought to be so with
      artists, but it ought to be so with any gift or skill God has
      graciously given us. We truly are NOT the source of the profound
      gifts we receive and share. God is. God alone is.

      "He must increase, I must decrease..." As soon as we forget that, our
      gift becomes a weight dragging us downwards to potentially ultimate
      loss, rather than helping us to ascend the heights. Good superiors
      can see this and stop it, but not all superiors are good! Let us pray
      that our gifts will always be focused by the wise and loving hand of
      some realist, to whom God has given the gift of loving truthfulness!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Gabrielle, kidney infection, nausea and dehydration,
        also for Bev and Cas, her parents. Prayers for Mike, 54, recently retired coach
        who suffered 2 heart attacks and two strokes now in ICU, prognosis uncertain.
        Prayers for Wayne, multiple medical issues and very ill just now, also for
        Viki, his wife, who has to work and cannot spend as much time with him as she
        would like to, may God console them both! A double Deo gratias: Terry, for
        whom we prayed, is doing so much better that he has been discharged from
        hospice, also, he has been fallen away for many years and now has asked to see a
        priest. His wife, Ginny, however, is under a lot of stress through all this, so
        prayers for them both. Prayers for Margaret, arterial intervention on
        Monday. One clogged artery has killed one of her kidneys and the other renal artery
        is 80% blocked, also for Mary, her daughter, who lives in another town and
        has gone home for a while to care for her Mom, and for a financial situation
        that worries her. She has a very full plate, just now, as we prayed recently
        for her very ill pet, Luigi, whom she had to leave at the vet's while she went
        home. Prayers for them all! Prayers for Thomas Merton, on the anniversary of
        his death. He meant so much to so many. Lord, help us all as You know and

        _http://www.stmarysmonastery.org_ (http://www.stmarysmonastery.org)