Holy Rule for Dec. 9

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Jude, being buried today, also for Sandy, in surgery now for cancer of her colon, for her family and her doctors, also for a couple 5 months pregnant with their first child, and for another couple faced with finding a new home for their beloved dog, who is proving to be a risk for their new baby.

      Prayers for a young father caught up in a really messy custody battle, with a lot else on his plate besides. Prayers for Lisa on her birthday and for Matthew, in his thirties, gone missing on a business trip and everything was left in his hotel room. A suspicious disappearance and authorities are trying to find him, also prayers for his worried family, especially his wife of one year, expecting their first child. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 9, August 9, December 9
      Chapter 56: On the Abbess's Table

      Let the Abbess's table always be with the guests
      and the pilgrims. But when there are no guests,
      let it be in her power to invite whom she will of the sisters.
      Yet one or two seniors must always be left with the others
      for the sake of discipline.

      REFLECTION

      Let me give you a bit of pragmatic application here. I don't know if
      this is true everywhere, but in both houses I have actually lived in,
      the monks tended to eat rather fast. Secularly speaking, I have a
      reputation for being a fast eater when dining alone, even I have
      sometimes wondered about how good that is for digestion! Here,
      however, with no conversation to slow me down at all, the monks eat
      like the wind and I am always the last one, even when gulping down as
      fast as I can. This has resulted in my learning to take less and
      finish whatever I really need at the guesthouse! Sigh...

      Anyway, the upshot here is that guests OFTEN dine more slowly than
      the monastics and we all get up together for grace. If the guests are
      where the Abbot can see them, it is easier to check on who's done and
      who isn't. We wait for them to finish. (At least 99% of the time. I
      have known especially slow guests to win at this face-off once or
      twice! We just said grace and left them to finish...)

      Monastics (like children or spouses!) can be dreadful creatures of
      habit, you should pardon the pun... I can tell you that sometimes
      that waiting seems interminable. I can also tell you that it is good
      for us, for all of us, and this applies equally to families. We
      ALLOW, even enable and encourage the guest to inconvenience us to a
      certain extent. That's part of our hospitality, part of receiving
      Christ, often in a considerably annoying disguise.

      Oblates in families or the world, trust me on this one, I know
      company can sometimes be a pain. I have had company most of the time
      for most of the last eight years. While I relish the occasional day
      when the house is empty, they are fewer and farther between each
      year. The message here is not only for guests in our homes, but for
      others in general, at work, when shopping or (horrors!) driving. LET
      others put you out a bit. Adopt a courtesy that is greater than the
      world's. Many works of genuine mercy can be done in such situations.

      I used to work the desk in a public library. From that and from my
      hospital and teaching years, I can tell you that a courteous,
      hospitable, Christian attitude of charity can stand out, really touch
      people. You don't have to be obnoxiously preachy, in fact, that has
      the opposite effect! The subtle grace and love of courtesy will lead
      a lot of people to wonder about you and what motivates you. Some of
      the braver ones will one day even ask. And there is your chance! Go
      slowly and gently, but tell them why.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2007

        Prayers, please for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their loved ones and all their caregivers:

        Monica, in rehab and a wheelchair, hoping to go home soon.

        Lisa, 34, cerebral hemmorhage.

        Stephen, seeking a new job in France.

        Please pray for the victims and their families of the tragic destruction in Elkhorn and for all the people of Omaha. Please don't forget the shooter along with the victims.

        Please pray for Herb, Monday he undergoes a neurological surgery on his neck. This problem could paralyze him if left untreated, however, his heart is so compromised that there is a danger giving him anesthesia will kill him almost imediately. Please pray for his health and salvation.

        Please pray for Robert, who has lung cancer and is currently undergoing chemo. They have now found a mass in his brain and plan to open him Monday. He has already had one brain aneurysm repair a few months ago. Please pray for Robert, his family, the surgical team and his friends.

        Annette, a sacristan with aggressive cancer and going on chemo.

        John, terminally ill with cancer and badly needing to find faith: lots of Divine Mercy chaplets here from those so inclined, please.

        Nanette, left an abusive realtionship and now needs court help to keep her safe from her former partner.

        For all those in positions of influence, scientists and authors, etc., who do not believe, that God may enlighten them.

        Deo gratias for Elaine, her tests came out cancer-free! But prayers for a chronic pain condition in her shoulder, please

        Prayers for Natalie, starting a new job she loves in January.