Feb 15

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003

      Prayers, please, for a school principal and two teachers facing a
      terrible mess with a parent. Thanks, NRN JL

      February 15, June 16, October 16
      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      On weekdays
      the Morning Office shall be celebrated as follows.
      Let Psalm 66 be said without an antiphon
      and somewhat slowly,
      as on Sunday,
      in order that all may be in time for Psalm 50,
      which is to be said with an antiphon.
      After that let two other Psalms be said according to custom,
      namely:
      on Monday Psalms 5 and 35,
      on Tuesday Psalms 42 and 56,
      on Wednesday Psalms 63 and 64,
      on Thursday Psalms 87 and 89,
      on Friday Psalms 75 and 91,
      and on Saturday Psalm 142 and the canticle from Deuteronomy,
      which is to be divided into two sections
      each terminated by a "Glory be to the Father."
      But on the other days let there be a canticle from the Prophets,
      each on its own day as chanted by the Roman Church.
      Next follow the Psalms of praise,
      then a lesson of the Apostle to be recited from memory,
      the responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany, and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Many, many Oblates wish they could say more of the Office than they
      do. Unfortunately, many, MANY things complicate that for them, not
      least of which is that virtually every house is doing something
      different, often using several books that are neither easily portable
      nor readily available. The upshot is that many monastics, Oblates and
      professed, are forced to use the Roman Liturgy of the Hours when
      traveling or not in choir.

      Well, that undoubtedly connects one with the prayer of the whole
      Church, but it is less than optimal in the sense that it is not our
      own. Oblates who know the hunger of this imperfect state of affairs
      may find at least a partial remedy in today's chapter. Psalms 66 and
      50 are to be said daily. Granted, many houses with various Psalm
      arrangements no longer do so, or perhaps say one, but not both.
      However, by memorizing one or both of these Psalms (and 66 is VERY
      short and repetitious, to boot!) one can add them to the Roman
      morning prayer and thereby make it at least a tad more Benedictine!

      The tragedy of our Office these days is that all of us have lost the
      ability to be exactly connected in prayer with the rest of the Order.
      That was not a shabby thing. There was great comfort in knowing that
      every Benedictine in the world was doing and saying the same things
      on the same days. It often ruefully cracks me up to think that we can
      have the cheek to talk about uniting all the Christian Churches when
      we can't even get our own Order to agree on a single Office, but
      that's another matter...

      Take comfort, slim though it may be, in this: using one or both of
      these Psalms daily will at least connect you to all the Benedictines
      BEFORE 1964!! And there is a great, vast multitude of saints in that
      number. Denied connection in our own day, we may safely rejoice in
      what little we can glean with the holy monastics of the past who do,
      after all, represent the bulk of our 1,500 years of history!