Holy Rule for Nov. 24

    Message 1 of 59 , Nov 24, 2005
      +PAX

      THANKS, GIVING GOD! DEO GRATIAS!

      In the U.S., we celebrate Thanksgiving today, a holiday which has its roots in the early Pilgrim colonists from England holding a special dinner and day of thanks to God after their first harvest. It began right here in Massachusetts, and it was definitely a religious festival of thanks. Sadly, how much has changed about Massachusetts, religion and our whole country, our whole planet, in terms of faith and thanks. Please pray for us all, that all may realize that, ultimately, all thanks go to God and that our country and world return to Him. Please pray that the U.S., so richly blessed by God in the world's goods, may better share them with everyone in need, at home and abroad. May we give as richly as we have received and as freely!

      Prayers, please, for Ed and his Oblate vocation, that he may live God's will to the fullest. Prayers for Jeanne, wrestling with caregiving to a longtime friend who is very ill with diabetes and other medical problems, as well as being caregiver to her Mother. She is so over-stressed. May God refresh her according to His will. Prayers for Bob, Ann, Julie, Maria, Ramon and Madelyn, for their happy death and eternal rest. Prayers for a special intention for Betty. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 25, July 25, November 24
      Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

      When anyone has made a mistake
      while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
      an antiphon or a lesson,
      if he does not humble himself there before all
      by making a satisfaction,
      let him undergo a greater punishment
      because he would not correct by humility
      what he did wrong through carelessness.

      But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

      REFLECTION

      Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
      experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
      days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there. We don't
      whip now, they did 1,500 years ago, everyone else did, too. Let's not
      get so mired in the sensitivities of our own time that we forget how terribly
      recent some of them are.

      As I have mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center
      when late for choir or table, then bow to the superior and go to our
      place. We also kneel when we make audible mistakes in Church. And
      yes, those things, as I pointed out, can be very useful.

      But most Oblates do not have a refectory or choir to kneel in, so
      what's here for the majority of us? There is the grace of humility, without
      which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
      home would be unlivable. Check out some of the lyrics of Shaker
      hymns. They feature LOADS of messages about getting along without
      murder. One speaks of not being stubborn like the oak, but of being
      like the willow who can bend!

      Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
      share of kooks, strays and crosses. Every one without fail
      will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. The gamut
      of human flaws exists in microcosm, in at least some mitigated form, in
      every human group.

      Even more annoyingly, most, if not all, pieces of our OWN broken humanity
      will be modeled, much to our distaste, by others around us. It is, alas,
      our own sins and faults in others that tend to annoy us most. Never
      forget to check for that. He or she may REALLY tick you off because
      of the great similarities between you!

      Our job is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part of the
      problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
      we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
      quickly as we can.

      If you can't say "I'm sorry," for God's sake- quite literally- start
      practicing alone in front of a mirror until the words can somehow
      tumble out in public. Until they can, try some useful (though not
      perfect,) substitutes, like "Excuse me," or "It was my fault." Work
      on words of forgiveness, too, like: "It doesn't matter," or "Oh,
      that's OK,".

      Strive to make light of things. There will never be any
      shortage whatever of people who will explode and magnify things out
      of all rational proportion, so don't duplicate services! Join the
      minority and try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than
      produce them.

      Most outrage, most lack of apology, most tempests in teacups stem
      from a distorted an unhealthy view of the self. Humility corrects
      that imbalance. While you're in front of the mirror practicing
      apology, why not try a bit of self-interview?

      WHY do these things or persons upset you so? What do you have in
      common with those who annoy you most? Most important, just who the
      heck ARE you that your perceived slights are such a big deal? Try reminding
      yourself that He is God and you are not. Honest reflection on these points
      may be a big and promising start.

      Message 59 of 59 , Nov 23, 2016

        +PAX

        Happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day to all in the US who are celebrating today. God be thanked for His many blessings to us all. Prayers for all and especially for the safety of those travelling.

        Prayers for Cas, who has gastrointestinal cancer. Prayers, too, for Bev, his wife, and Gabrielle, their daughter. Bev is a classmate of mine from Tampa Catholic High.

        Prayers for Fr. Benedict Nivakoff, OSB, newly appointed Prior of the Benedictine community at Norcia, Italy, and continued prayers for them as they recover from the catastrophic damage the earthquake did to their monastery and basilica.

        Prayers for Christopher, 13, in hospice care at home with brain cancer and thought to be very close to death. Prayers for his family, too, and for all who will mourn him.

        Prayers for Daniel, had an injection for knee pain, knee reduced to bone on bone and will eventually need a replacement.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Greg, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Stella, 92, a Benedictine Oblate, and prayers for her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for B., for her return to the Faith.

[...]

        when late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our
        place. We also kneel when we make audible mistakes in Church. And
        yes, those things, as I pointed out, can be very useful.

        But most Oblates do not have a choir to kneel in, so
        what's here for the majority of us? There is the grace of humility,
        without which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
        home would be unlivable.

        Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
        share of kinks, strays and crosses. Every one without fail
        will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. The
        gamut of human flaws exists in microcosm, in at least some mitigated form,
        in every human group.

        Even more annoyingly, most, if not all, pieces of our OWN broken
        humanity will be modeled, much to our distaste, by others around us. It is,
        alas, our own sins and faults in others that tend to annoy us most. Never
        forget to check for that. He or she may REALLY tick you off because
        of the great similarities between you!

        Our job is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part
        of the problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
        we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
        quickly as we can.

        If you can't say "I'm sorry," for heaven's sake- quite literally- start