Holy Rule for Nov. 21

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
      +PAX

      Today, the Feast of the Presentation of Mary in the Temple, is traditionally a
      very special feast day for Oblates, rather like the day that Mary "made her
      Oblation", if you will. Even if your religious tradition does not approve of
      prayers to Mary, please use today in a special way for all of us Oblates to pray
      for each other and all Oblates throughout time. It has been a favorite Oblate
      feast for many, many years!

      Today is also a special world day of prayer set aside by the Pope "Pro Orantibus",
      literally, "for the praying ones." Its object is the many cloistered contemplatives whose
      vocation is prayer for the Church, the world, for others. People often wrongly assume such folks
      are holy enough and need no prayers. Wrong!

      The vocation of praying for others, the life of prayer requires copious grace and faith.
      It is no cinch. So please remember to pray for all those we shall never know till heaven
      who are praying for us. It might be well to recall as well that these days not all contemplatives
      are cloistered. Many in the world offer their lives in silent, completely unknown sacrifice and
      prayer. Add them to your list, too!

      Prayers, please, for H.'s Mom, doing poorly, for Catherine, mid 80's, first leukemia blood transfusion,
      and for another Mother in need, special intention. Prayers, too, for G.B., in psych hospital, and
      prayers of thanks and Deo gratias that he listened to a friend about getting admitted! Lord, help them
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him!
      Thanks so much. JL

      At the hour for the Divine Office,
      as soon as the signal is heard,
      let them abandon whatever they may have in hand
      and hasten with the greatest speed,
      yet with seriousness, so that there is no excuse for levity.
      Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God.

      If at the Night Office
      anyone arrives after the "Glory be to the Father" of Psalm 94 --
      which Psalm for this reason we wish to be said
      very slowly and protractedly --
      let him not stand in his usual place in the choir;
      but let him stand last of all,
      or in a place set aside by the Abbot for such negligent ones
      in order that they may be seen by him and by all.
      He shall remain there until the Work of God has been completed,
      and then do penance by a public satisfaction.
      the reason why we have judged it fitting
      for them so stand in the last place or in a place apart
      is that,
      being seen by all,
      they may amend for very shame.
      For if they remain outside of the oratory,
      there will perhaps be someone who will go back to bed and sleep
      or at least seat himself outside and indulge in idle talk,
      and thus an occasion will be provided for the evil one.
      But let them go inside,
      that they many not lose the whole Office,
      and may amend for the future.

      At the day Hours
      anyone who does not arrive at the Work of God
      until after the verse
      and the "Glory be to the Father" for the first Psalm following it
      shall stand in the last place,
      according to our ruling above.
      Nor shall he presume to join the choir in their chanting
      until he has made satisfaction,
      unless the Abbot should pardon him and give him permission;
      but even then the offender must make satisfaction for his fault.

      REFLECTION

      First, an aside. The signal to get moving, whatever it may be, is
      usually a bell or something like it. Our modern age looks at any
      request or command we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not
      to obey. We may euphemize this with terms like "dialogue" but the
      bottom line is finding a graceful way to say either "Hell, NO!" or
      considerably less than "Yes!" or "OK, fine!"

      Bells, however, are inexorable and there is no point in arguing with
      them. Their stoic silence will win every time! It is worth
      remembering that, in the old days, the bell was known as the "vox
      Dei," the voice of God. It is further worth recalling that arguing
      with God isn't usually very successful, either!

      There is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
      being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
      is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." (Older
      translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
      has usually been cited, quite rightly, a a basis for the centrality
      of liturgy in Benedictine life, but that is an incomplete view, one
      which leaves riches beyond telling unmined.The full sense of this
      goes well beyond liturgy.

      For the monastic, EVERYTHING holy obedience asks of us is in some
      way the work of God. ALL of God's will for us becomes our priority. That's
      what our commitment means. Monastic struggle sacralizes every jot and
      tittle. In one sense, there is no small stuff anymore. (That can be a trap for the
      scrupulous if over-applied, so watch out, folks! Balance, always balance!)
      The distinction between sacred and profane is all but obliterated. Our life is
      of a whole, and that holistic life is most often informed of God's wishes for us
      by obedience.

      That can require tremendous faith and trust in God, but God does
      reward such trust richly beyond our dreams. Contemporary attempts by
      some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to a process of dialogue or
      negotiation, or to make it a communal affair or a consensual one are
      terribly far off the mark. The textual evidence of the Holy Rule, as
      well as historical and traditional evidence simply do not support
      such claims.

      The Rule speaks of dialogue only when one is commanded to do the
      impossible, not the merely unpalatable! Even then, if the superior
      insists, one must trust and obey. Tough saying, but obedience works
      best when it isn't a lot of fun...

      But back to priorities. Surely the Office comes first before lesser
      obediences. Being late because one finished something that could wait
      is a poor excuse, because it shows what is valued most- one's own
      will. On the other hand, when one is tormented with pain that
      perceptive superiors will notice, perhaps being late is the best one
      can do, and that matters, too. We often judge without considering the
      heroism required of some to make even an incomplete effort.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2016

        +PAX

        A blessed feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary to all. Traditionally, many Oblates renew their oblation on this feast. Prayers for all who do so, and for Judith, who reminded me to ask prayers for her own renewal. May all remain faithful to their Oblation and may the Holy Rule guide their lives. Here is a link to the renewal formula:  http://www.osb.org/obl/ceremon.html#renew

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Frank, who died of alcoholism, and for his wife, Kathleen, their daughter and all their family.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of John, who took his own life. May he have repented and may God show him mercy. Prayers for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for a friend of Barbara’s who has been battling cancer for many years. Now it has spread to his liver and hip.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Carl B., a World War II veteran, and for all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for safe travels for all who are going to his funeral.

        Prayers for me, I am doing the nasty prep today (Sunday) for a colonoscopy on Monday. Prayers that all goes well and for a good report, please.

[...]

        bottom line is finding a graceful way to say either "Heck, NO!" or
        considerably less than "Yes!" or "OK, fine!"

        Bells, however, are inexorable and there is no point in arguing with
        them. Their stoic silence will win every time! It is worth
        remembering that, in the old days, the bell was known as the "vox
        Dei," the voice of God. It is further worth recalling that arguing
        with God isn't usually very successful, either!

        There is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
        being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
        is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." (Older
        translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
        has usually been cited, quite rightly, as a basis for the centrality

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20

          +PAX

          A blessed feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary to all. Traditionally, many Oblates renew their oblation on this feast. Prayers for all who do so, and for Judith, who reminded me to ask prayers for her own renewal. May all remain faithful to their Oblation and may the Holy Rule guide their lives. Here is a link to the renewal formula:  http://www.osb.org/obl/ceremon.html#renew

          Prayers for Daniel, suffering from loneliness and has no one to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday with. Prayers for all who are lonely and suffering, the holiday season is particularly rough for so many.

          Prayers for Bishop Hugh and all the priests he is giving a retreat to, may the Holy Spirit fill them all!

          Continued healing prayers for young Xavier. He had 2 big seizures this week.  Prayers, too, for Pat and all the family.

          Prayers for special intentions of Br. Bernard and all the Osbaldeston family, especially Jessica.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Tommy S., who lost his battle with cancer, and for his wife, siblings, extended family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for D., terminal cancer, for a happy death with all the graces needed.

          Prayers for all who’re suffering and struggling, those on our list and the billions who aren’t but are known to God.

          Prayers for Sue, juggling wonderful and worthwhile aspects of ministry but struggling to see clearly how to do it and in what order and feeling consumed.