Holy Rule for Nov. 20

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2005

      Prayers, please, for our beloved Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden, on his feastday. May God grace and bless him richly and reward him for his good guidance of all his sons!

      Prayers, please, for Emma, Mother of Jim and Gerry, two of our readers. She has had a recurrence of her ovarian cancer. Prayers, too, for her other five children and all her family. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 21, July 21, November 20
      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      Silence is sometimes viewed as a penance or deprivation by those new
      to monastic life. Worse still, it can even seem depressed or
      introverted, because silence, in our chatty culture, is often equated
      with unhealthy withdrawal or even with contempt.

      Monastic silence is nothing negative and, actually, not very passive,
      either. It is an active opening of the ears and of the heart, a
      listening for things which the drone of modern life and the noise of
      our own mouths can readily obscure. Monastic silence is the hushed
      and breathless quiet of the Lover, not the lonely isolation of the
      curmudgeon!

      Many Oblates write and ask me how they can find silence in the noisy world.
      Just think of soldiers and everyone else in the terrible din of war. How
      does one EVER find silence in such a situation? In the heart. Sometimes
      our hearts are the only cloister, the only silence, the only serenity and
      solitude we can hang onto.

      Nurture such a heart for yourself. Build within a Kingdom of God (it's where
      Jesus told us the Kingdom is!) and a cloister of great peace and silence and
      love. Our hearts can never be taken from us. Whatever holiness,love and peace
      we build there, we can truly keep for eternity.

      As monastic life blossoms- and this is a subjective process that
      happens at different speeds for different people- one finds more and
      more that silence is at the heart of the tightly wrapped bud. A word
      of caution here for impatient types like me: one cannot PRY the bud
      open. Those delicate petals are prone to easy tearing!
      (Ah, an English pun of spelling here and it applies all too well! Yes, those
      petals are prone to BOTH "teering" of weeping and "taring" of
      rips!) It opens gradually. You can thwart that chain of events by non-
      cooperation, but there is little you can do to safely speed it up.

      Put another way, the monastic heart grows more and more to love
      silence, to love solitude for the best reasons. Oblates here must be
      very careful. One's first vocation is one's spouse and children. The
      demands of everyday life must be respected as one's primary vocation
      and that can make chiseling out a niche of silent time or solitude
      well-nigh impossible. That is a cross we are asked to bear. God knew
      from all eternity where He would place our monastic hearts, in what
      environment they would grow. We must assume quite safely that God
      does, after all, know what He is doing!

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2007

        Prayers for our Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden, on his patronal feastday, ad multos annos!

        Deo gratias for Matt, received into the Church, prayers, to, that his family accept his faith decision.

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of John, who took his own life, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Abbot Otto, of The Abbey of San Jose de Avila, Venezuela, and for his community.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for al their families and all those who care for them:

        Cody, badly burned in an accident.

        Keith, 48, liver and lung cancer, on chemo, poor prognosis. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL