Holy Rule for Nov. 19

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the newly baptized baby Declan, his proud parents and grandparents and all the family. Deo gratias!

      Prayers, too, for Jo, 86, who has died, for her happy death and eternal rest, for her family and all who mourn her. For Kathleen, (and all of us!) that we learn to trust the Divine Mercy more, and that she and all of us can rejoice when God protects us by saying no. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much! JL

      March 20, July 20, November 19
      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      Don't get caught up on times here. That's not the hook and it's not
      the point. It can also lead you down a primrose path to
      ineffectiveness and that's what the Father of Lies wants to happen. I
      once read a story of a woman's very successful Lenten fast leading
      to a 28 pound weight loss and a desire she felt was out of line vanity for
      new clothes and hairstyle! Just about anything can be turned around
      to evil by the Evil One, but EVERYTHING can be turned to good by God.
      Be sure to choose the right One in that equation!

      Here's the central point of this chapter: "...[the Abbot] should
      adapt and arrange everything in such a way that souls may be saved."
      That is a tremendous responsibility and it is also tremendously
      subjective. Each Abbot, each parent, each boss and teacher, any
      Benedictine in charge or anything must order things so "that souls
      may be saved."

      That means all things (well, after all, the Holy Rule DOES
      say "everything",) in our control must be ordered towards the end
      that Peter Maurin, co-founder of Catholic Worker, ascribed to society
      itself, the task of "making it easier for people to be good." That
      means no chop-busting for the sake of chop-busting, no power trips or
      ego trips or control issues that have nothing to do with helping
      people become holy. Not only must we remove obstacles to holiness for
      those around us and in our care, we must actually provide aids to
      sanctity in their environment. Now that is a very tall order!

      Within that tall order, however, lies one more secret and key to
      Benedictine peace. Peace is no accident, nor is it a void or vacuum
      from which conflict is merely absent. Peace is the active presence of
      justice and holiness and truth and love to an unusual degree.
      Promote those values and peace is the unavoidable result.

      Like so much in our Rule, peace is a lot of hard work and a very
      delicate balance. Ah, but is it ever worth the effort! Our work must
      be to let heaven begin at least partially in THIS life for all.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2007
        +PAX

        For those who are devotees of the Miraculous Medal of Our Lady, the novena starts tomorrow and ends on her feastday, Nov. 27.

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all who mourn them:

        Beatrice, Richard and Clara's son.

        Deo gratias, for Clara, 99, for whom we prayed, taking the news of her last child's death so well.

        Prayers for a special intention.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all ther loved ones and all who care for them:

        Carmen, mental porblems and recovering from a serious physical ailment.

        Connie, agorapobia and hoping to be baptised.

        Continued prayers, please, for all of us on retreat here and for our retreat master. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        March 20, July 20, November 19
        Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

        From holy Easter until Pentecost
        let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
        and supper in the evening.

        From Pentecost throughout the summer,
        unless the monks have work in the fields
        let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
        on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
        This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
        if they have work in the fields
        or the heat of summer is extreme;
        the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

        Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
        in such a way that souls may be saved
        and that the brethren may do their work
        without just cause for murmuring.

        From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2016

          +PAX

          Prayers for the safety of all in the blizzard in Minnesota, especially for the homeless and those travelling. Prayers, too, for the animals at risk, for the safety of all God’s creatures.

          Prayers for a special intention for Cathy. R.

          Prayers for Kaila, in mental health treatment, her husband and her Mom are taking care of her children. Prayers for all her family and for Kailia and her children. Special prayers that Kaila and Duane receive the gift of faith in Christ.

          Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

          From holy Easter until Pentecost
          let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
          and supper in the evening.

          From Pentecost throughout the summer,
          unless the monks have work in the fields
          let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
          on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
          This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
          if they have work in the fields
          or the heat of summer is extreme;
          the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

          Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
          in such a way that souls may be saved
          and that the brethren may do their work
          without just cause for murmuring.

          From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent