Holy Rule for Nov. 9

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Donna and Ned, facing a thorny problem in arranging better care for Donna's Dad. Prayers for Andrew, 20, hospitalized for debilitating irregular heart beat problems which are making his life as a college student very difficult, for Gail, his Mom, and all his doctors and family. Prayers, too, for C., multiple substance abusing husband and trying so hard to keep their children safe from their father and keep the family afloat. Prayers for Jin, looking for work, and for her 24 year old son, Albert, who is worrying her badly with serious problems in his life. Prayers for Cheryl, a job hunt is on for better ability to remain where she is living. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Maureen: her ankle is much improved and she got the job she was hoping to get! Lord, help them as You now and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      March 10, July 10, November 9
      Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

      For the care of the monastery's property
      in tools, clothing and other articles
      let the Abbess appoint sisters
      on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
      and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
      consign the various articles to them,
      to be looked after and to be collected again.
      The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
      so that
      as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
      she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

      If anyone treats the monastery's property
      in a slovenly or careless way,
      let her be corrected.
      If she fails to amend,
      let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      As I watched myself become more careful of water during our last
      drought, I began to reflect on the wastefulness of modern life in many
      areas. Actually, we didn't do that much to conserve. Most of what we
      did was simply trying to avoid the levels of waste to which we had
      become accustomed.

      Well, that's something we should be doing with everything, not just
      water, and it should be done because we do not own things that all
      people need outright. How different we would have been in the first
      place, if we, like so many in the world, had to walk to a single
      shared water tap a couple of miles away twice a day or maybe even
      just once! And then- oh, horrors!- stand in line for a couple of
      hours before drawing our heavy water and hauling it home on foot. Or
      maybe, as for millions, there is no tap at all.

      Americans in particular can equate lack of waste with stinginess.
      It's a terrible view of things, but deeply rooted. Consumerist
      society encourages waste because it fuels profits for the few at the
      top. Sad that many below cannot be made to see that when we waste, we
      are cheating ourselves, in more ways than one: ecologically,
      economically AND spiritually. Waste is a lack of mindfulness for
      others.

      The reasons which have subtly taught us to live with criminal waste
      as if it were nothing are false, totally false. They are not luxury, they deny
      others. Why live a lie? We do not live on a planet of infinite resources.

      Monasteries and homes are microcosms of the universe. We must never
      look at conservation as if our actions alone will advance the rise or
      prevent the fall. They very well may do neither. What our actions CAN
      do is limit our complicity. That is the only safe rationale for
      undertaking them.

      Every drop of fresh water makes the ocean less salty, though its a
      fair bet that the Atlantic will remain saline, indeed, in spite of
      our efforts! That's not the point. All God will ever ask us is what
      WE added to or removed from the problems around us.

      He knows we cannot change things single-handedly. No average citizen
      alone could have stopped the Holocaust in Nazi Germany, but some
      chose not to be in any way part of it, often at the cost of their
      lives. See what I mean? A wealth of opportunity in choice awaits all
      of us.

      That treasure of choice awaits us in every single area of decision,
      many, many more times than we are aware of ordinarily. The Pearl of
      great price we can buy with our choices is Christ Himself, Who always
      waits for us discreetly behind the good!

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Susan, married, young mother of two, who collapsed last
        weekend and is in critical condition in Nashville, Tennessee. She has not
        regained consciousness and may not survive. Prayers for Brian, (for whom we
        prayed recently,), complications and clot on his lung after hip surgery,
        prayers, too, for his wife, Veronica, and daughter, Victoria. Prayers for the people
        treating all of our prayer folks spiritually or physically: may God guide
        and reward them all!
        Prayers for Jim, special intentions and discernment and for his son, Stephen.

        An update on our Emma, 10, whom we have been praying for. She has been able
        to go home for a respite before starting inpatient therapy in December. A
        family who had lost their disabled Mom gave their Mom's lift-equipped van to
        Emma's family, so they can easily take her places. God is so good! Continued
        prayers for all. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all who mourn them:

          Louis, and his Dad, also Louis.

          Bonnie, and especially her grandmother.

          Prayers, please for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for their familes and all who treat or care for them:

          Peter, surgery today for a clogged artery, also for his very worried brother.

          Sr. Julianna, malignancy discovered, so a full mastectomy was done, lymph nodes involved, so radiation and cem next.

          Lord, help us all as You know and will. od's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Jerry, on his 69th birthday, and for Beccy and all his family and all who mourn him.

            Prayers for Margaret on her birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

            Healing prayers for Renuka, many severe health problems, 16 years of family and financial problems, Prayers for her two sons and for her husband, for justice and right to prevail, for her marriage to be healed and for God to fill her parents and all their family with health and help and grace.

            Prayers for reconciliation between Josephine and Damianus, may God touch his heart and bring them back together. May God forgive them both.

            Prayers for John, prepping for a colonoscopy, and for a good result from it.

            Prayers, for P., also prepping for a colonscopy, and for a good result from the test.

            Praise God! Charlie, 6, for whom we prayed after he suffered life-threatening injuries in a car accident, is back home with his family. There is still a long way to go but he has made amazing progress. Please pray for his continued healing, and for his family as they adjust to the changes this has brought.

            Please pray for Gabriel, a recovering addict going to college for the first time.

            Please pray for John that he will return to the Lord and be reconciled with his brother.

            Please pray for Patrick, who is being considered for a promotion at work. He is seeking God's will in this but the extra income would give him some much needed peace of mind.

            Please pray for Mary Ann and her family enduring many tragic crosses. Also please pray for the eternal repose of her daughter, Tina, and for another daughter, Theresa, diagnosed with lung and liver cancer, which is already in her bones. May Theresa receive the grace of conversion before her death, and for perseverance for all the family in accepting the Holy Will of God.

            Please pray for healing for June G. She is suffering great pain as a result of nerve damage during a double knee replacement. She needs to be able to return to work.

            Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

            For the care of the monastery's property
            in tools, clothing and other articles
            let the Abbess appoint sisters
            on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
            and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
            consign the various articles to them,
            to be looked after and to be collected again.
            The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
            so that
            as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
            she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

            If anyone treats the monastery's property
            in a slovenly or careless way,
            let her be corrected.
            If she fails to amend,
            let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

            REFLECTION

            A severe drought this year in Massachusetts has forced us to be

            more careful with water and the ways we use it.
            Well, that's something we should be doing with everything, not just
            water, and it should be done because we do not own things that all
            people need outright.

            Americans in particular can equate lack of waste with stinginess.
            It's a terrible view of things, but deeply rooted. Consumerist
            society encourages waste because it fuels profits for the few at the
            top. Sad that many below cannot be made to see that when we waste, we
            are cheating ourselves, in more ways than one: ecologically,
            economically AND spiritually. Waste is a lack of mindfulness for
            others.

            The reasons which have subtly taught us to live with criminal waste
            as if it were nothing are false, totally false. Waste is not luxury, it
            denies others. Why live a lie? We do not live on a planet of infinite resources.

            Monasteries and homes are microcosms of the universe. We must never
            look at conservation as if our actions alone will advance the rise or
            prevent the fall. They very well may do neither. What our actions CAN
            do is limit our complicity. That is the only safe rationale for
            undertaking them.

            Every drop of fresh water makes the ocean less salty, though it’s a
            fair bet that the Atlantic will remain saline, indeed, in spite of
            our efforts! That's not the point. God sees our efforts and good intentions,

            not judging on results.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8

              +PAX

              Prayers for Abbot Anselm of Pluscarden, hospitalized with complications from a flu-like chest condition and other issues. Many prayers for his healing, and for Fr. Benedict, the Prior who is in charge in Fr. Abbot’s absence. Extra prayers, too, for Dom Adrian, who is being buried today.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Jerry, on his 70th birthday, and for Beccy and all his family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for Margaret on her birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Continued prayers for Fr. Brendan, having an MRI on his shoulder.

              Prayers for Elizabeth and Steve and their fledgling bakery-restaurant business, they are financially stressed and winter is slow season in their town, they need to make it till May and need many prayers.

              Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Seamus was accepted into Navy pilot school, prayers for his success and safety.

              Prayers for protection and safety of Anthony, being deployed to Kuwait. Prayers for peace of mind for his parents and grandparents, too.

              Prayers for the return of S. and C. to the Sacraments.

              Prayers for J. L., she is struggling heroically to live with mental illness and its aftermath.

              Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

              For the care of the monastery's property
              in tools, clothing and other articles
              let the Abbess appoint sisters
              on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
              and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
              consign the various articles to them,
              to be looked after and to be collected again.
              The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
              so that
              as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
              she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

              If anyone treats the monastery's property
              in a slovenly or careless way,
              let her be corrected.
              If she fails to amend,
              let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

              REFLECTION

              A severe drought last year in Massachusetts forced us to be more careful with   water and the ways we use it.
[...]

              fair bet that the Atlantic will remain quite saline, indeed, in spite of